Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Houston to the HD Museum in Milwaukee

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:36 AM
ultralimited64
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Houston to the HD Museum in Milwaukee

I haven't started the detail plans yet, but at the end of May were planning a Houston to the HD Museum in Milwaukee trip. Does anyone have any adder stops that we should see along the way?

I'm thinking from Milwaukee of taking the Lake Express Ferry across Lake Michigan and maybe up to the south shore of Lake Superior over through Minnesota and back south to Houston.

Any idea?

Old 01-08-2015, 02:35 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

just ride north in wisconsin to the south shore of lake superior. the time you spend on the ferry would get you to green bay easily. the ferry isn't cheep either.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:15 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by bagga
just ride north in wisconsin to the south shore of lake superior. the time you spend on the ferry would get you to green bay easily. the ferry isn't cheep either.
But.......

the Michigan side has some very nice riding. Sleeping Bear, Tunnel of trees, Legs restaurant, then across the Mac, Pictured Rocks, etc. Plus the ferry ride is part of the adventure. I believe that early in the year, bikes ride free as well.

And yes, some decent riding north of Milwaukee once you get to Shiocton.

OP - If you have the time, I would take a northerly route through OK and pick up the Talimena Scenic Dr into Arkansas. Then head north through the Ozarks on Hwy 23 (Pig Trail). Run that up to Eureka Springs - a layover perhaps? Then 23 up to 86 to 65 to one of the best, longest scenic series of curves I've been on 160 east. Run that over to Poplar Bluff and run 67 north to St Louis - that's about an 8 hour ride from Eureka Springs FYI. From St Louis just slab it to Milwaukee via 39 to avoid Chicago - a 6 hour ride. By the time you hit St Louis, you will have seen so many curves that Interstate will be a welcome relief.

Let us know if you'll be around for a bike night at the museum which are Thursday nights. 1st beer on me and Cheryl.

Last edited by nevada72; 01-08-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:26 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

There are good reasons to head north toward Green Bay from Milwaukee and good reasons to cross the Lake and head north along the western Michigan coast. Not sure how much time you have but there is a way to do both. Ride north to Green Bay and tour the Door County peninsula which is quite unique and scenic. Then head south to Manitowoc and take the Badger ferry to Ludington, MI for the trip north to Lake Superior. The Badger ferry is slower than the Lake Express (4 hour crossing) but it is a relaxing trip. Either way it should be a great ride.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:26 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
But.......

Let us know if you'll be around for a bike night at the museum which are Thursday nights. 1st beer on me and Cheryl.
Meeting and spending a little time with this guy will certainly make your trip better.

Bill

Old 01-09-2015, 07:39 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

As far as stops along the way, it looks like Ft. Smith Ark. is going to be on the way. The Fort and Court House complex there is very interesting and doesn't take too much time. The dealership in Ft. Smith is also a really good one. Memphis is also on the way, and Beale Street, Sun Records, Graceland, and the ducks at the Peabody Hotel are worthwhile. A night or two in Nashville would also be fun.

Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky, Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.

Don't know what else there might be, these are just the places where we have rode.

Bill

Old 01-09-2015, 08:30 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
Meeting and spending a little time with this guy will certainly make your trip better.

Bill
Thanks Bill, for the kind words. Much obliged!

Back at ya.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
As far as stops along the way,

Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky, Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.

Don't know what else there might be, these are just the places where we have rode.

Bill
If you're in Kentucky and interested at all in spirits you might consider touring a distillery. My favorite is http://www.buffalotracedistillery.co...t-us/our-tours they have a hard hat tour which I've not done yet that was highly recommended. Must be booked ahead.

The ride up through Michigan along either coast, Lake Huron or Michigan, is nice. If you've not been there, after crossing the bridge park the bike and catch the ferry to Mackinaw Island for a few hours.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:06 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Just had another thought. Shoot over to Natchez and take the Natchez Trace Parkway to Nashville. Really a nice ride.

Bill