Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Modular Helmet Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 03:57 PM
goofey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modular Helmet Question

I have chronic dry eye and having a lot of trouble with my eyes hurting and bloodshot after riding for an extended time. I have a 3/4 helmet with face shield and using goggles and still having problems. Can anybody who is using a modular helmet tell me if it would keep the air out of my eyes better? I don't think I would like a full face I cant lift up. I would appreciate any info.. Thanks

Old 06-29-2015, 05:03 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Depends on which helmet and how open you have your vents set but overall it should be better. I use gell eye drops.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:11 PM
goofey
Cruiser

Iam on prescription eye drops an still having trouble. Hope my riding days aren't coming to a end.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:13 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Maybe surgery on your ducts is in order?
I have never tried a modular helmet, but I don't think it will block the wind more than goggles. Are your goggles quality and fit you right? I don't know what style yours are but you might try the full 1 piece style goggles....?

Old 06-29-2015, 07:21 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,418 Posts

I use a modular helmet. It seems pretty well sealed when I have he clear visor down. But if you are already using goggles and still having the problem, I don't think a full face or modular would help you much more.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:39 PM
slim_powers
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My modular full face helmet is definitely better when it comes to keeping the wind out, but I never had a problem with my 1/2 face helmets as long as the shield was down/on (obviously still had buffeting where the shield didn't protect but no dry eyes; I wear Rx glasses as well, no goggles). Because your entire face is covered, it MAY be better, but I think BigDogIdaho is on to something, you may need surgery for your tear ducts if you're wearing goggles and still getting really dry eyes.

Should you go the modular route, I'd highly, highly recommend getting a helmet that has a Pinlock-prepared visor and getting the Pinlock insert. Not sure where you live but if you ride in chilly weather at all, you will not want your visor to fog up!

Old 06-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,409 Likes on 3,309 Posts

Keep what you have and get some good glasses like wileyX or Bobsters. You know some with the foam around that seals the wind out.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:27 PM
goofey
Cruiser

Thanks guys for the info. I have already had the tear duct surgery and I bought a pair of 150.00 Harley Davidson glasses with the foam seals and back strap. Nothing seems to help that is why I was thinking about the modular helmet. Oh well I will just keep putting in drops and looking like I been on a 3 day drunk. I sure don't want to give up my road trips yet. Thanks again

Old 06-29-2015, 09:41 PM
ia2189
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife has been diagnosed with chronic dry eye. The drops recommended by her doctor are Systane Balance. She's tried them all and they by far give her the best results. They are pricey but your eyes are worth it.

http://www.systane.com/Systane-Balan...Eye-Drops.aspx

Old 06-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes, a good modular will keep the wind and dirt out of your eyes.

Quick Reply: Modular Helmet Question