Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Daytona 2016 Advice for First Timer

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 04:17 PM
ilnighttrain06
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daytona 2016 Advice for First Timer

Before I get 10 replies saying to do some searching for existing threads, keep in mind things change from year to year and I have done some research. That said, we are coming in from Chicago area for the 4th and 5th, and would love some veteran advice...

1. Where should 4 young guys stay for a hotel/motel/camping if we are only there for 2 days and want to be close enough to the action to cab home after some drinks? Location and Cost are main considerations.

2. Speedway or Main street? 1 day at each or just one over the other

3. Any must see events/sites/bars/etc.

4. Anything other than speeding and DUIs to worry about? I seem to read a lot about skull masks...

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-11-2016, 07:17 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ilnighttrain06
Before I get 10 replies saying to do some searching for existing threads, keep in mind things change from year to year and I have done some research. That said, we are coming in from Chicago area for the 4th and 5th, and would love some veteran advice...

1. Where should 4 young guys stay for a hotel/motel/camping if we are only there for 2 days and want to be close enough to the action to cab home after some drinks? Location and Cost are main considerations.

2. Speedway or Main street? 1 day at each or just one over the other

3. Any must see events/sites/bars/etc.

4. Anything other than speeding and DUIs to worry about? I seem to read a lot about skull masks...

Thanks for your help!
Use the search function. I've completed 2 posts this year already about it.
OK, now that is out of the way.

It really hasn't changed much in years.

#1 and #2, Where to stay:
The Beach...
The speedway is not within walking distance to the action.

#3:
Here is the cut and paste from another post I did:

The key areas are:
Main St
Beach St
Destination Daytona
Iron Horse Saloon and close bars
The Speedway
The Cabbage Patch

From the Daytona Speedway, Speedway Blvd (or really anyplace in the area) is an easy run to the areas that will interest you.

Speedway Blvd. east dumps you on Beach St where there are a ton of vendors.
Beach St North a few blocks will dump you out at the base of the Main St bridge heading east.
Main St. is the parade... All the bikes, and a ton of bands, bars, vendors etc.

Speedway Blvd. west to I-4 north up to the Ormond Beach Exit US1.
1 block north on 1 is Rossmeyer Harley and Destination Daytona.
A mile or 2 south on 1 and you will hit the Iron Horse and a few other bars.

Ask local to get to the Cabbage Patch. I can drive there, but don't know the road names.

The must-hit places for the first timer:
-- ******* Tropical Tattoo Bike Show. The dates haven't been posted yet. Not your yuppy trophy bikes, Bikes built in garages by hand. Crazy variety. Run what you brung, ride the bike in and enter it. Cold beer on site grab one and see the best garage builds all in one place.
-- Main Street to see the show.
-- Boot Hill Saloon at the top of Main
-- Iron Horse Saloon on US1 (if you are there at dinner time, steak and taters with a beer, thank me later. paper plate and eat on your lap)
-- Destination Daytona (not my thing but everyone should see the worlds largest Harley dealer, JP Cycles and the vendors there)
-- The flat track races at the Speedway (you will have to check the dates to see when they are running) Same for the Supercross races if that is in your wheelhouse.
-- Walk Beach St to see the vendors.
-- The Cabbage Patch if you have time just to say you've been there. If you can hit it on a day they are wrestling, go then. That way you can not only say you've been but also WTF am I doing watching this?!!! A bit like a gruesome car accident on the highway, you just can't look away.

#4:
I have no idea what the hell you are talking about skulls and masks...

But the rest of your question:

Watch your speed. The police are not overly aggressive with enforcement, but if you are overly aggressive with your speed, you will get a ticket. Over 20 mph over the speed limit and you will be required to make a court appearance. It doesn't matter if you are from out of town...

DUI:
I've never seen a check point set up during bike week. They are legal in Florida, but never seen one. But if you work hard enough at earning it though, you may get it.

Handlebars too high:
I've only seen it enforced one time ever in all the years I've been there. A friend of mine got it on a Saturday morning. No reason really to attract his attention. But he got it anyway. Sad thing is my friend in 6'3 and if he had been sitting upright, the handlebars would have been below his shoulders. Sweet garage build chopper he built that won at Willie's Bike Show, but I digress...

Breaking the back tire loose:
Yep, instant ticket and required court appearance.

Bring the front tire off the ground:
Yep, instant ticket and required court appearance.

Not stopping for police as soon as you have the ability:
Evading an officer. If you speed: Evading an officer with excessive speed, resisting arrest without violence, and anything else they want to throw on. Felony and instant court appearance.

Now the good news:
The cops there have always been cool over the years. I've found them to be really cool. If you are cool, they are cool. They do not increase any enforcement. If you are an *** though, you may be treated like one. Play stupid games, you may win stupid prizes...

There is 20 years of attendance experience in one post.

What other questions do you have?

Last edited by Jonesee; 02-11-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:30 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Also, stay tuned

Each year before Bike Week I post my helpful hints for Bike Week virgins and how to NOT look like a rookie.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:34 PM
ilnighttrain06
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the fast reply. This was the skull post I read from the v twin forum. it won't let me post the full link:
/forums/v-twin-forum-general-harley-talk/116881-daytona-bike-week-insider-tips-2.html

From what you said, the cops seem pretty loose compared to other posts I have read. That sounds good.

I usually do exhaustive searches before posting, but I figured there might be something new this year(last year ABATE canceled their camping) or a special event that I shouldn't miss.

Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited by ilnighttrain06; 02-11-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:40 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

2 years ago there was a rider riding up and down Main Street in a bright neon orange body sock. Head to toe, no skin showing at all. He looked like a cartoon character, but he owned the look and it was pretty hilarious seeing him ride around. He looked like those tube things with a fan at their base that flop around in front of car dealers.

I assume if he didn't get hassled, no one in a skull mask would either.

There are plenty of 3 piece cuts around during bike week. I assume they get a second look before Joe-poser with a skull scarf over his face. (no insult intended if you wear one,,,or your name is Joe...)

Last edited by Jonesee; 02-11-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:22 AM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

I have to wonder why anyone would wear a mask in downtown Daytona? It may be cold in Chicago in March but it's going to be 70- 80 degrees in the daytime in Daytona.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:38 AM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

Ormond Beach Area

Each place here is accessible from the parking area:

Bruce Ross Meyer HD at Ormond Beach

J&P Cycles at Ormond Beach

Plenty of vendors here too

BBQ joint here is superb, stupendously amazing and affordable!
http://blog.backyard-smoker-barbeque...-pig-stand.jpg

Yuengling Brewery in Tampa is a nice day trip from Daytona but beware the traffic in Orlando is a bitch 24/7 even on Interstate.
Free beer at the end of the tour makes it worth the trip plus the brewery is not in a congested/commercialized area of Tampa(See my pic below)

Last edited by iRider; 02-13-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:40 AM
bigh8840
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of good information... Thanks OP for the post, I'm in the same boat. When will you be down there? I'm trying to find different rides to link up with too

Old 02-13-2016, 01:10 PM
1BadHG
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Across from speedway is a camp ground called the finish line hot showers and close to action

Old 02-13-2016, 01:29 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1BadHG
Across from speedway is a camp ground called the finish line hot showers and close to action
The speedway is several miles form Main Street and Beach Street. The only thing near the speedway is the speedway. They have vendors, but nothing one would consider being near the action. But the OP said cab ride distance, and the Speedway is cab distance.

If you find a room within a mile or so of Main and Atlantic you are within walking distance

Last edited by Jonesee; 02-13-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Daytona 2016 Advice for First Timer