Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

bees in my bonnet

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 06:08 AM
Diverrick
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default bees in my bonnet

I was just doing the last leg of a long road trip, on a small two lane road into my old home town, , doing about 80 with the Cruise control on, see ing as I know the road well. Life was good. I look to my Left and notice that someone had recently put about 75 bee hives along the side of the road, and it was a warm day so I could see the bees were busy doing their thing. I looked back in front of me, and to my horror saw a brown cloud of bees, and I was about to enter them! EEEK! I really had no choice, so in I went, bees hitting me everywhere all over the fairing and the windshield, my helmet, and arms, legs shoes.. I thought about how lucky I was that I was wearing my leather jacket, when I felt one go right up past my left wrist, which was buttoned up. Great. Then it stung me. What do you do? can't really let go of the handle bars to get the little bugger out. So I rode on a safe distance away then pulled over, and got him out Good thing I didn't have a reaction. Other than that is was a great drive.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:26 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

"What do you do? can't really let go of the handle bars to get the little bugger out. So I rode on a safe distance away then pulled over, and got him out"

Yup! Ouch!

Summer, south Louisiana where I lived long ago. My favorite riding apparel at the time was these coveralls with no sleeves..... I know... I was 20 something. I saw the bug coming, thought it missed me. Apparently it got sucked into my clothes and first sting was middle of my shoulders, second down my back. Not sure how or in what order but the coveralls got unzipped down front, I hit the shallow ditch braking hard and coming out of the clothes by the time I stopped. Stung me 4 times and I am standing off the side of the road in my undies, pants definitely "sagging."

Have been others, but that is my go to, got stung story

Old 04-11-2016, 10:01 AM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Had one sting me last fall up in Phoenix on Loop 101 at 70 mph. It got lodged between my suglasses and my temple. Three days later my eye swelled shut. Hate those stinging bastards!

Old 04-11-2016, 10:06 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Years ago , old XlCH ,Sitting at a stop with a cop directing traffic, Yellow Jacket in my clutch hand, stung Me good. Dropped the clutch let out a yelp almost dropped the bike, Had to push it to the side to kick and the SOB won't start. Took like ten kicks. Cop thought I was retarded!

Old 04-11-2016, 10:08 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Got one in the armpit years ago. It was exciting to say the least

Old 04-11-2016, 12:40 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I had one sting me. I was wearing chaps and the bee managed to sting me just where the chaps ended and a little before my crotch began. I was fortunate. Another time I was passing a field of cows and came upon a brown cloud of what I think were flies or some other insect. Took me a long time to get all the insects out of the various places on the bike.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:59 AM
Shakin
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Laugh if you will, but Remember this when you are Stung by a Bee - use a Blue- or - Black Ball Point pin draw circle's heavy around the sting ! It works !!! And itching that comes with it goes away. Don't know why but it works. Swelling is bare minimum. If any !!! Crazy stuff Grandfather tough me !!! Stuff he showed me but . Don't go get stung but if you do it works.
Only Black or Blue Ball Point Pens Works. Must be done right after being stung like in the first 5-10 minutes !!!!!

Old 04-17-2016, 04:22 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakin
Laugh if you will, but Remember this when you are Stung by a Bee - use a Blue- or - Black Ball Point pin draw circle's heavy around the sting ! It works !!! And itching that comes with it goes away. Don't know why but it works. Swelling is bare minimum. If any !!! Crazy stuff Grandfather tough me !!! Stuff he showed me but . Don't go get stung but if you do it works.
Only Black or Blue Ball Point Pens Works. Must be done right after being stung like in the first 5-10 minutes !!!!!
Just any ball point pen works as long as it's the proper color?

The only good thing about a bee sting is they they only sting you once, and they die! LOL

Old 04-17-2016, 08:20 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Just any ball point pen works as long as it's the proper color?

The only good thing about a bee sting is they they only sting you once, and they die! LOL
I believe that honey bees are the only ones that die after stinging someone. The other variants of bees get to sting and keep on stinging.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:33 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

A few years ago I was out in front on a ride with some friends. Thought I would be cool that day and ride without the windshield. Was doing 55-60 mph out in the country when all of a sudden my eyes focused on something brown/red coming straight at me. A wasp popped me right between the eyes where my skin was exposed between the top of my sunglasses and bottom edge of my helmet. It was a direct hit and hurt like hell. Thought I was gonna lose it but managed to ride on to the next town. Two days later my eyes were swollen to the point that I could barely see. I haven't taken the windshield off since. Ha!

Quick Reply: bees in my bonnet