Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Coeur d'Alene

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:31 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Coeur d'Alene

The wife and I are going to head up to CDA for this year's trip. Going up from Boise, makes it actually not that far. Won't have as much time as we usually do for these trips but any suggestions about route and/or things to see?
We were thinking just heading straight up 95 & 55 to get there. The other option is I84 which would take us through part of Oregon and Washington. Both are supposed to be comparable time wise but I don't know that I want to travel on the freeway all the way. Was thinking the highways would be the more scenic of the two options.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:40 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

I'll suggest riding 21 out of Boise over to Stanley. Then 75/93 up to North Fork for the night. The next day up to Missoula and over to CdA. Coming out of Stanley you'll be following the Salmon River downstream, great ride with nice variety. That Village Motel/cabins with store and restaurant at little North Fork is a good spot for a couple.

Last edited by mtgriz; 05-23-2016 at 11:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
richkidman (05-23-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 09:15 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

That sounds like a good idea! That way we can use the 95/55 back home and see some different scenery. I've actually never been north of Riggins in Idaho before.

What do you all think about Spokane? Thought about maybe swinging through there while in CDA.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:22 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
That sounds like a good idea! That way we can use the 95/55 back home and see some different scenery. I've actually never been north of Riggins in Idaho before.

What do you all think about Spokane? Thought about maybe swinging through there while in CDA.
I'll just add a couple spots to consider. Shooters in Stateline is a popular biker bar and your wife will be fine with it. Also Curlys at the Hauser Junction if you're out that way. If you want to have a nice dinner, the Cedars Floating Restaurant in CdA is good. Just ate there last weekend. As for Spokane...meh. Nice day rides can be had with CdA as a base.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:14 PM
turdlefxst
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well if your just lolly gag'n and one of my fav's would be.
Come up 95to Cambridge, take hwy 71 cross into Oregon at oxbow, then you can take the Hells canyon USFS rd 39 to Joseph (Wallowa Lake) & Enterprise, go north on Or. hwy 3 the Rattlesnake into Lewiston, then east on hwy 12 to Orofino, out of Orofino find the P-1 rd north towards Kendrick but take Hwy 3 north to St. Maries stay on hwy 3 to the hwy 97 to ride up the side of CDL'n lake.....whoa the curves are sweet.
I second the stop at Curly's at hauser Jct. http://www.curleys.biz/
Also at State line is Crusers ride thru bar. Neither place is known for their food, so your on your own there, But Good Times to be had.
ENJOY, Happy Trails

Old 05-24-2016, 05:43 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by turdlefxst
Well if your just lolly gag'n and one of my fav's would be.
Come up 95to Cambridge, take hwy 71 cross into Oregon at oxbow, then you can take the Hells canyon USFS rd 39 to Joseph (Wallowa Lake) & Enterprise, go north on Or. hwy 3 the Rattlesnake into Lewiston, then east on hwy 12 to Orofino, out of Orofino find the P-1 rd north towards Kendrick but take Hwy 3 north to St. Maries stay on hwy 3 to the hwy 97 to ride up the side of CDL'n lake.....whoa the curves are sweet.
I second the stop at Curly's at hauser Jct. http://www.curleys.biz/
Also at State line is Crusers ride thru bar. Neither place is known for their food, so your on your own there, But Good Times to be had.
ENJOY, Happy Trails
Oh yeah....meant Cruisers not Shooters😀 Good spot.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:38 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for the info so far guys!

I'm trying to read and comment in between jobs I've been working and right now it's a little hectic. So you'll have to forgive me if I am sporadic....

Is Curley's a place to just stop in, or should I check to see if they got something going on?

Cruisers is a bar you ride through? LOL

I'll be checking a map when I can to see about that route Turdle.

Another thing, I think we are going to end up doing this in August. Probably around the 7th or 8th to head out. Anything we should worry about/plan around?

Old 05-25-2016, 10:43 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I was out there a few years back. Very nice area. I agree on going around by St. Marys down to Orofino. There is a road going into Orofino that has so many curves and going steep downhill. Loved going around the lake by CDA. Even going north into Bonners Ferry was very nice. Little busier than I would have liked though

Old 05-25-2016, 02:30 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by davey019
I was out there a few years back. Very nice area. I agree on going around by St. Marys down to Orofino. There is a road going into Orofino that has so many curves and going steep downhill. Loved going around the lake by CDA. Even going north into Bonners Ferry was very nice. Little busier than I would have liked though
I remember your trip! Or at least the planning portion of it....LOL

Was it really busy around there?

Old 05-25-2016, 04:57 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
I remember your trip! Or at least the planning portion of it....LOL

Was it really busy around there?
Big....I suspect Davey is talking about US95 heading north out of CdA. It can be kind of busy with RV's, truck traffic going to Canada, folks hauling boats to area lakes, etc....especially when the 4-lane runs out. Not a huge deal though. Another nice day ride is CdA-Sandpoint-200 east into Montana-Thompson Falls-Murray, ID, KingstonID-CdA....or the reverse of course. If you decide to arrive in CdA from Missoula, I90 is actually a pretty scenic ride for an interstate highway.....unlike what you're used to in the Boise area.

Quick Reply: Coeur d'Alene