Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Worst and best dealers on the road

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 07:14 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Worst and best dealers on the road

Wondering about people's experiences with dealers on the road.

My best experiences have been with Tripp's HD in Amarillo, Tx, Battlefield HD in Gettysburg, Pa. and Gail's HD in Grandview, Mo.

By far the worst has been Grand Canyon HD in Mayer, Az. We have been riding in Arizona on 3 different occasions when we had a mechanical problem and called them. Not once were they willing or able to help with the problem. Great Falls HD was also not a rider friendly shop.

Bill

Old 06-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 199 Posts

Excellent customer service from Smokey Mountain HD in Maryville, TN.

Last year we were in Moab and my buddy started having problems. We called the dealership in Durango, CO as we would be there the next day and we could drop off the bike and leave it. They would not commit to work on his bike. First come, first serve.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:36 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,418 Posts

The year is 1995 and I'm on my way to Sturgis. I'm in western Utah zooming east on I80 at about 80-85, just humming along, when all of a sudden the rubber cover on my left foot peg vibrated off and disappeared. I knew it could have bounced anywhere and that it was unlikely to find it. So I headed immediately to the nearest dealer, which I think at the time was called Salt Lake City Harley Davidson.

I pulled into the service area at 5:45 PM and explained to them what happened. They took my bike and returned it to me at 5:55 PM with a new foot peg covering. I asked how much and they said $10.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:15 AM
mervt198
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mile High HD, Colorado Springs, Bobby's Territorial HD, Yuma, Big Sky HD, Great Falls

Old 06-14-2016, 09:42 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,324 Likes on 1,911 Posts

Tripps in Amarillo and Chesters Teton HD In Idaho Falls are the type of dealers you want to be near if you have trouble on the road.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:20 PM
stuckinnj
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Halfway through a 3500 mile trip my 06 Road King (36k miles) started to misbehave. Wobble at 60mph. Stopped at S&P HD in Williamstown, WV. Around 3:00. Thought I needed a new rear tire. Service took the bike right in. Turns out the spokes came loose and damaged the wheel. Tried a couple of solutions to no avail. By 6:20, I was leaving on my new 16 Road Glide Ultra. Yeah, that was a bit over the top solution. But I did get to finish the rest of my ride.

The treatment of the folks at S&P HD made the difference between renting a truck and riding a new bike. Deal was fair. But the real difference was the treatment from, Tommy in Service to Kenny the GM to Steve (the S of S&P) who took the bike off the showroom floor, ran it to the gas station and pre delivery ride. Now, that's an impressive team.

Stop by when you're in the Parkersburg area and see the S&P HD folks. You won't be disappointed.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:22 PM
wjvins
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tulsa Oklahoma

Worst dealer of all my trips in USA: Route 66 Harley Davidson Tulsa Oklahoma. (200,000 miles ridden since 2007)

Best dealer of all my trips in USA: Myers-Duren Harley-Davidson Tulsa Oklahoma.

Story Line: Returning from 103 Anniversary of Harley in Milwaukee headed to San Antonio Texas, noticed my rear tire was getting bare. With my wife on the back of 2007 Harley Softail Classic, at 2:00 PM on a Friday, I stopped at Route 66 and asked for them to take a look at my back tire. There were 3 techs talking when I went to the service counter and asked for his opinion. The service manager exclaimed and shouted: Don't you see all those bikes outside (3 techs scattered to the back). I won't be able to see you until tomorrow at 1:00, if any time is available.

Well I said thanks, I need to get on the road.

Road to Myers-Duren, who had many more bike waiting to be serviced. Manager looked at both of us and laughed, I would risk traveling alone but not with my wife. He said you go to the front of line, he took my bags off my bike and put them in his office. Within the hour, I had a new back tire and was on my way.
I get a Christmas Card every year from them.

Sorry for the long story.

Now that is a great dealership story in my book.

Walter Vincent
210-316-5105

Old 06-23-2016, 07:26 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

High Country HD in Cheyenne, WY. Riding buddy broke down last year on the way to Sturgis. Bike was towed in the back of trailer (Hog towing fail) to High Country. They were super to deal with, helpful and professional. Immediately began to work on the bike. Great folks and were more than hospitable. Best service any of us had ever received on the road.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:12 AM
guesscrazy
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandslam
Excellent customer service from Smokey Mountain HD in Maryville, TN. .

Last year we were in Moab and my buddy started having problems. We called the dealership in Durango, CO as we would be there the next day and we could drop off the bike and leave it. They would not commit to work on his bike. First come, first serve.

Smoky Mountain got us on the road after a flat. They stayed afterhours. A great service department..

Old 06-26-2016, 09:53 AM
Dyna Dogg
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Services while touring.

While touring last summer I needed 2 services. Charlies in Huntington were fantastic. I made good time the night before and arrived much earlier. They got Me right in & out, good people. Grizzly in Missoula Mt was busy as hell, but knew I was touring & wanted to get back on the road. In & out in less than 45 minutes. In a couple of weeks I hope to add Green Mountain in Essex Junction VT. to My exceptional list. Another service at Grizzly in Missoula and then Home. As for purchasing a bike, I have bought from 3 dealers in the Seattle area. Eastside in Bellevue WA. was the most personal.

Quick Reply: Worst and best dealers on the road