Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pennsylvania to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 11:09 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don I bought the $30.00 gas can that fits in the corner of Your saddle bag. Then I got scared and stopped at Wal Mart in Dawson Creek ( The start of the Alcan) and Bought a Canadian Gallon Jug. (1 1/4 gals). It fit in the bag but was only $6.00. Also Canadian jugs don't have that silly spring loaded filler spout! Remember Gas Is Very Expensive there. It was about $1.39 a liter. You Bike will take 16 to 20. 86 Octane at best.
I often jumped to the front of the construction line. I also Pulled over and let them pass as I couldn't keep up. The road was too rough. Ruts and mud slow me down big time. I also had a Japanese tourist in an f350 with a 40' camper fifth wheel on My A**. I then waited until at least 1/4 mile back due to the rooster tail of Dust I couldn't see through. These can go on for 30 miles. They are writing the mile post for 2017 now. Next spring they will be working on different places.
The front of the Bags took a beating from road dirt. The rest was Mud and Bugs in every nook and crevise.
$ 45.00 for Coors Light.....Ouch!!! While in the states, If You Think You will probably stay in that state, Stop at the first welcome ctr. They have discount coupons for hotels and tell You what Exit to get off. On the Alcan You have no options. There are no exits. You can't get lost. If a sign says " Camp" It is a very dumpy Barracks style hotel for the Oil Miners or Construction Workers.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:17 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A Tease

Sorry the Pics were Ok on My end.??

Attached Thumbnails Pennsylvania to Alaska-img_0318.jpg   Pennsylvania to Alaska-img_0474.jpg   Pennsylvania to Alaska-img_0484.jpg   Pennsylvania to Alaska-img_0537.jpg  
Old 08-05-2016, 12:29 PM
jbkrab
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Left June 30th from Baltimore, on July 3rd I T-Boned a deer in Manitoba, totaling my bike & trailer. My suggestion to you is to pay for travelers Medical Insurance. As a US Citizen you don't have coverage in Canada. You must pay in cash for medical services at time of treatment. Also Meat Wagon fee is about $520 US. All of which you have to pay. They will not bill your insurance company. Ask me how I know! Anyway, I'm planning on rescheduling my trip to the Arctic Circle in about 3 years. If you want any GPX files and itinerary I have a bunch I can send you. Email me at krab (at) bjbark (dot) com.

Regards,
Ben

Old 08-05-2016, 02:36 PM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rydeer
Don I bought the $30.00 gas can that fits in the corner of Your saddle bag. Then I got scared and stopped at Wal Mart in Dawson Creek ( The start of the Alcan) and Bought a Canadian Gallon Jug. (1 1/4 gals). It fit in the bag but was only $6.00. Also Canadian jugs don't have that silly spring loaded filler spout! Remember Gas Is Very Expensive there. It was about $1.39 a liter. You Bike will take 16 to 20. 86 Octane at best.
I often jumped to the front of the construction line. I also Pulled over and let them pass as I couldn't keep up. The road was too rough. Ruts and mud slow me down big time. I also had a Japanese tourist in an f350 with a 40' camper fifth wheel on My A**. I then waited until at least 1/4 mile back due to the rooster tail of Dust I couldn't see through. These can go on for 30 miles. They are writing the mile post for 2017 now. Next spring they will be working on different places.
The front of the Bags took a beating from road dirt. The rest was Mud and Bugs in every nook and crevise.
$ 45.00 for Coors Light.....Ouch!!! While in the states, If You Think You will probably stay in that state, Stop at the first welcome ctr. They have discount coupons for hotels and tell You what Exit to get off. On the Alcan You have no options. There are no exits. You can't get lost. If a sign says " Camp" It is a very dumpy Barracks style hotel for the Oil Miners or Construction Workers.
Thanks for the tips. The last couple of trips I did into Canada I used my debit card for fill-ups and some eats.....they end up hitting you with an additional fee at the end for the transaction but all in all not to bad. I konw I need to bring cash but cc makes things so much easier at times.

Originally Posted by rydeer
A Tease

Sorry the Pics were Ok on My end.??
pics look great. I have been down to Key West twice on my bike. Looking forward to taking my picture next to that sign as well.

Originally Posted by jbkrab
Left June 30th from Baltimore, on July 3rd I T-Boned a deer in Manitoba, totaling my bike & trailer. My suggestion to you is to pay for travelers Medical Insurance. As a US Citizen you don't have coverage in Canada. You must pay in cash for medical services at time of treatment. Also Meat Wagon fee is about $520 US. All of which you have to pay. They will not bill your insurance company. Ask me how I know! Anyway, I'm planning on rescheduling my trip to the Arctic Circle in about 3 years. If you want any GPX files and itinerary I have a bunch I can send you. Email me at krab (at) bjbark (dot) com.

Regards,
Ben
bummer about the accident but at least you were able to walk away. Thanks about the tip about medical insurance. As an insurance agent in real life I can understand.

Don

Old 08-05-2016, 06:28 PM
jbkrab
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbank

bummer about the accident but at least you were able to walk away. Thanks about the tip about medical insurance. As an insurance agent in real life I can understand.

Don
Accident occurred at Hwy s 1 & 44 Whiteshell, MB. In the middle of nowhere! I hit the blacktop going 60mph and walked away because it was cold that morning and I was wearing my Leather Bib overalls, mesh jacket and 3/4 helmet. I got real lucky walking away with my life. be careful is all I can say.

Regards,
Ben

Old 08-06-2016, 03:59 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

For some general info for riding to/from Alaska via various routes, try www.akrider.com

Old 08-06-2016, 08:08 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I went in June, it is supposed to have less rain, But it rained. Did not make motel reservations on way up. But did quite a bit of the way back. Ended up sleeping in the parking lot of a Walmart in Whitehorse, cause a cruise ship was in town, and every motel was booked for 100s of miles.

You are going to have to ride on gravel and mud. The gravel up there is hard packed. Look out for signs warning of bumps, or dust warnings

I wish I would have brought a light pair of long johns. I only brought a heavy pair. Should have brought both.

Becareful driven at night and getting gas, especially in Canada. Canada is not modern. Hard to find pay at the pump. You forget how late it is, because of the light.

Most days were 500 miles.

BC37, Cassiar hwy, is most remote road I have ever been on.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:27 AM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
For some general info for riding to/from Alaska via various routes, try www.akrider.com

The link did not work for me

Originally Posted by Zerk
I went in June, it is supposed to have less rain, But it rained. Did not make motel reservations on way up. But did quite a bit of the way back. Ended up sleeping in the parking lot of a Walmart in Whitehorse, cause a cruise ship was in town, and every motel was booked for 100s of miles.

You are going to have to ride on gravel and mud. The gravel up there is hard packed. Look out for signs warning of bumps, or dust warnings

I wish I would have brought a light pair of long johns. I only brought a heavy pair. Should have brought both.

Becareful driven at night and getting gas, especially in Canada. Canada is not modern. Hard to find pay at the pump. You forget how late it is, because of the light.

Most days were 500 miles.

BC37, Cassiar hwy, is most remote road I have ever been on.
I wanna bring a tent and bag along although it was mentioned not many places to camp out. I don't mind splitting a hotel room but hate the thought of having to be somewhere. I realize we could be stuck like you were but that is sometimes part of the experience

on our trip to nova scotia I can relate to canada not being modernized is some places

thanks again for the advice everyone has mentioned

Old 08-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Zerk
Banned

Originally Posted by Redbank
I realize we could be stuck like you were but that is sometimes part of the experience

tioned
I can live without that experience. I just had a tent. Used some clothes for a pillow.

Typically it wasn't hard to get a room. The last room available was only around 3 or 4 pm, having rode around 400 miles. Ended up going 200 or more, and sleeping on the ground.

Way back we made reservations about every 500 until we got close to transcanda 1.

Not sure if the Milepost has been mentioned. Great read. Get the most up to date copy, because it will have road conditions and constructions, not that, that is a guarantee. Some people brought it along so they could use the ads for motels and such.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:17 PM
Zerk
Banned

I have 5 gallon tank, and gassed up at the next place after 75 miles. Most stuff is about 100 miles apart.

People will say I can go 175 miles, why gas up. Because it is not uncommon to have to go another 100 miles.

Places close down too, or may not be open for the season yet. Until you pump gas, don't count on it.

I topped at place near Yukon River on way to Arctic Circle, that was supposed to have gas. Sat and had a pop. Turns out they had no gas, 5 miles to next place, closed at 9pm in 10 minutes, on gravel roads. They were closed. I had to bang and bang on door, going around back. Next place was 160 miles. I would have had to sleep in the parking lot of a very remote gas station.

Cassiar Highway is 160 miles between gas stations. Though I have heard there is place with gas in Hope. But places come and go.

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania to Alaska