Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pennsylvania to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 09:20 AM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Pennsylvania to Alaska

Looking to ride from PA to Alaska and gather as much info as I can. If anyone in here has done a trip to Alaska can you give me any advice? Have a few buddies that we have been on several 10 day plus trips the last few years and Alaska has always been on our list. We know it will take more than 10 days to do this. So we need to start planning on what to expect.

The group is very comfortable doing 400+ miles a day in a row but I know the road to Alaska will be different as we have heard bits and pieces. What I would like to hear from you guys is lodging (tent, hotel/motel), gas (enough stations between fill-ups), road conditions (wet/dry/traffic/loose/potholes), average miles per day (good day/bad day), how long was your trip (days and miles), anything we need to watch out for or stop and see? Or anything else that may help.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:00 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Redbank,
I made that Trip two years ago from So. Jersey. About 450 miles from You.
Best Trip of My life. 28 days, 11,000 miles. I rode to the arctic Circle 200 miles from Fairbanks. The Dalton Highway! I went north through Montana and returned through Wash State. Bring Rain gear, Full face Helmet, Spare Gas, Good Cameras.
There will be lots of "Off Road" Riding in Canada. Have a Kerchief to cover Your nose and Mouth from Dust. Longest day Ride was about 700 miles ( a long day) But I wanted to get home then. Some shorter days of 250 or so. Due to weather and no place to stop for another 150 miles.
Scenery was beyond words! I left late July and returned late August. Many Days I still needed long Johns and full leather.
Any Questions I'll be glad To Answer.

Steve.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:08 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Alaska trip is scheduled for next July. However, if you PM me and give me your email address I will send you my itinerary.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:09 AM
Redbank
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rydeer
Redbank,
I made that Trip two years ago from So. Jersey. About 450 miles from You.
Best Trip of My life. 28 days, 11,000 miles. I rode to the arctic Circle 200 miles from Fairbanks. The Dalton Highway! I went north through Montana and returned through Wash State. Bring Rain gear, Full face Helmet, Spare Gas, Good Cameras.
There will be lots of "Off Road" Riding in Canada. Have a Kerchief to cover Your nose and Mouth from Dust. Longest day Ride was about 700 miles ( a long day) But I wanted to get home then. Some shorter days of 250 or so. Due to weather and no place to stop for another 150 miles.
Scenery was beyond words! I left late July and returned late August. Many Days I still needed long Johns and full leather.
Any Questions I'll be glad To Answer.

Steve.
Steve,

I was thinking it would take us about 20-25 days and around 10k miles; mapquest shows the most direct route is 4k miles but I missed out on the Highway to the sun (Montana) and wanna make sure I ride that road too.

I have read where June is better to go because there are less bugs, how were the bugs when you went?

I have a heated vest and heated grips, best investments I ever done.

Are you talking about just a one gallon gas tank?

Did you camp/tent or always stay hotel/motel? I have also read where you can camp along the roads and nobody bothers you.

Thanks Don

Old 08-04-2016, 08:11 AM
Redbank
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wingman05
My Alaska trip is scheduled for next July. However, if you PM me and give me your email address I will send you my itinerary.

PM sent

Old 08-04-2016, 10:27 AM
rydeer
Cruiser

I carried a tent and sleeping bag. Never used them. There are plenty of pull overs and nobody is around for hours at a stretch. Not good camping though. Gravel pull over, very dense woods and no grassy meadows. If You have food, the bears will find You.
I carried 2 gallons of gas. I used 1 gallon three times. I had a 06 Road King then with a 5 gallon tank and a carb. In Canada My MPG Dropped a lot. Maybe the crappy gas or the altitude, I don't know. The "Towns" are 150 or 200 miles apart. A Town is one business. It's a hotel/campground/gas station/restaurant/ post office. LOL
Bugs generally don't like Me. They are there, but were not overbearing. If You taste sweet it might be worse. I didn't have or need heated stuff. It was 45 deg in the Am warming up to 70's. Lots of days in the mountains it was foggy and damp. I stopped at Rushmore and Crazy Horse on the way out. I also took a scenic Route along the western side on My Return. I was 28 days and 2 days further than You. Your time table should be fine. The amount of times You Need to stop and Admire the scenic Beauty is what slows You Down. I went to HYDER, Ak. It is on the coast and is famous for Glaciers and bears in the rivers scooping Salmon. Cost at least a day, but well worth it. Start with NEW Tires. I had a blow out in Wyoming and was towed 120 miles to Montana. I upgraded My HOG so it cost zip. I replaced the other tire in Fairbanks. I also had an Oil Change there. Make sure You Specify oil in all Three Holes. They Only Did engine and were then closed for the weekend!
Did You Get "Milepost"? I think that the book is overrated. It is Last Years Construction. The Pull out Big Map is Price less. It Will show You distance to the next town. Construction in Canada is Very different than Here. A Flagger stops You, kickstand down, wait. A lead truck comes and leads You through the gravel/ mud/ ruts and dust. For Miles as You Pass the Machines working. Your Bike will be trashed. Completely covered in mud. Bug stains embedded in the windshield. I used a pressure washer when I got home.
It Was Great!!! Two years later I'm still smiling.
Steve

The following users liked this post:
PoiDog (03-09-2018)
Old 08-04-2016, 10:40 AM
rydeer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wingman05
Steve, you sent Me Your Itinerary prior to My Trip. It's a great General Idea. I could never follow it though. Too many surprises along the way. I had no arrangements at all. I like having " Nowhere I need To Be"
Steve

Old 08-04-2016, 11:06 AM
2002FLSTCI
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is some good information here. I am planning the trip for next year myself. I am planning to leave in June. I will start from Columbia, SC. I am planning to cross in Montana near Glacier. Then up to Edmonton and then over to the ALCAN. Planning to take the Top of the World route through Chicken. Will end up in Anchorage. The way back will be by the Cassier HWY down to Olympia, WA. Down to SD to see them monuments and ride through Sturgis. From there down to Denver and the Million Dollar Hwy down to NM. Then head East and back home.

I am not planning any Iron Butt trips. I plan to pull a trailer. I ride an Ultra Classic. Through Canada and Alaska I don't plan to go much over 300 miles if that. I am in no rush. This is my retirement from the DOD and Army National Guard present to myself. My route is currently 11,300 miles +/-. I am planning 6-8 weeks. I also plan on camping almost every night. I have been planning this for two years now. Now, I am starting to get my trip specific items I need for the trip.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:25 AM
rydeer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2002FLSTCI
There is some good information here. I am planning the trip for next year myself. I am planning to leave in June. I will start from Columbia, SC. I am planning to cross in Montana near Glacier. Then up to Edmonton and then over to the ALCAN. Planning to take the Top of the World route through Chicken. Will end up in Anchorage. The way back will be by the Cassier HWY down to Olympia, WA. Down to SD to see them monuments and ride through Sturgis. From there down to Denver and the Million Dollar Hwy down to NM. Then head East and back home.

I am not planning any Iron Butt trips. I plan to pull a trailer. I ride an Ultra Classic. Through Canada and Alaska I don't plan to go much over 300 miles if that. I am in no rush. This is my retirement from the DOD and Army National Guard present to myself. My route is currently 11,300 miles +/-. I am planning 6-8 weeks. I also plan on camping almost every night. I have been planning this for two years now. Now, I am starting to get my trip specific items I need for the trip.
The Cassier Takes You To Hyder. You Have to adjust Your 300 Mile rule. There just isn't anywhere to stop. The Alcan Is Impressive to say the least!

Old 08-04-2016, 12:15 PM
Redbank
Cruiser

I carried a tent and sleeping bag. Never used them. There are plenty of pull overs and nobody is around for hours at a stretch. Not good camping though. Gravel pull over, very dense woods and no grassy meadows. If You have food, the bears will find You.
I carried 2 gallons of gas. I used 1 gallon three times. I had a 06 Road King then with a 5 gallon tank and a carb. In Canada My MPG Dropped a lot. Maybe the crappy gas or the altitude, I don't know. The "Towns" are 150 or 200 miles apart. A Town is one business. It's a hotel/campground/gas station/restaurant/ post office. LOL
Bugs generally don't like Me. They are there, but were not overbearing. If You taste sweet it might be worse. I didn't have or need heated stuff. It was 45 deg in the Am warming up to 70's. Lots of days in the mountains it was foggy and damp. I stopped at Rushmore and Crazy Horse on the way out. I also took a scenic Route along the western side on My Return. I was 28 days and 2 days further than You. Your time table should be fine. The amount of times You Need to stop and Admire the scenic Beauty is what slows You Down. I went to HYDER, Ak. It is on the coast and is famous for Glaciers and bears in the rivers scooping Salmon. Cost at least a day, but well worth it. Start with NEW Tires. I had a blow out in Wyoming and was towed 120 miles to Montana. I upgraded My HOG so it cost zip. I replaced the other tire in Fairbanks. I also had an Oil Change there. Make sure You Specify oil in all Three Holes. They Only Did engine and were then closed for the weekend!
Did You Get "Milepost"? I think that the book is overrated. It is Last Years Construction. The Pull out Big Map is Price less. It Will show You distance to the next town. Construction in Canada is Very different than Here. A Flagger stops You, kickstand down, wait. A lead truck comes and leads You through the gravel/ mud/ ruts and dust. For Miles as You Pass the Machines working. Your Bike will be trashed. Completely covered in mud. Bug stains embedded in the windshield. I used a pressure washer when I got home.
It Was Great!!! Two years later I'm still smiling.
Steve
I have a 15 SGS now but it doesn't get as good as gas mileage as my 12 rgu did only difference is the rushmore motor (same exhaust, air cleaner, fuel management) I can still pull 200 miles but a gallon gas can would make me feel more confident. I didn't order the book yet, when does the new one come out for 2017? Heard about the construction, they say bikers can just push to the front of the line and everyone understands. I am thinking about using that plasti dip for the fenders/bags/fairing, but then again it is just a bike to me that I end up trading every few years.

Steve, you sent Me Your Itinerary prior to My Trip. It's a great General Idea. I could never follow it though. Too many surprises along the way. I had no arrangements at all. I like having " Nowhere I need To Be"
Steve
This is the way my group likes to travel - no where I need to be

sometimes this presents a problem but it is what it is. We almost got stuck driving a few hours to get out of the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia because the only place available was $300 for the night. We weighed our options traveling a few hours in moose territory at night or spend $300.....oh and the bar bill that night for 3 pitchers of coors light was $45 lol

Originally Posted by 2002FLSTCI

some of those destinations you have mentioned I already have done but that is why I started this post so I can think out loud and have others input their knowledge. I already did the million dollar highway last year but cut my trip early while the others went up and did the highway to the sun. Hopefully I can do it with the Alaska trip.

Sounds like an awesome present to yourself...thank you for your service

Don

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania to Alaska