Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pennsylvania to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 05:22 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I was talking to a guy on a BWM who was driving up there and selling his bike flying home. Not a bad idea if time is an issue. The ride up might be the best part of it.

Plus having to tell people you fly up and rented, would make me feel like a *****.

The ride up is what seperates riders. The ride up the Ice Road/ Dalton Highway, even more so. I didn't make it to Dawson up top of the world. Similar road I hear.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:43 PM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Zerk, I was in That Walmart Parking lot. Fortunately I found a room. It was only 2 pm But it was Pouring. There Was a bar right next door. I deserved the rest and relax.
As far as camping, it wasn't for Me. I bought a new sleeping bag and a new tent. Never opened them and sold them. They have now ridden near 20,000 miles at last count and still not used.
I do remember seeing Bicycles with trailers and bags all over them. These people were 75 miles from nowhere in the mountains. They must have found a safe place to tent.
When I was there 2014 , it was the rainiest summer on record for Alaska. There was NO Way I would have lived on the bike on the Dalton. My bike was in for oil and tires. I called Enterprise and rented a Yukon 4X4 to go to the circle. Buy the extra insurance if you do this. I had 3 spiders in the windshield and dings everywhere. Don't tell enterprise that You are going there and find a carwash before returning.

Attached Thumbnails Pennsylvania to Alaska-img_0480.jpg  
Old 08-10-2016, 10:35 PM
Zerk
Banned

If it was an easy road, I wouldn't have brought it up.

THough I am sure weather plays a part and sometimes are worse then others. Either way it is 115 miles of gravel up and then back, just to get to Article Circle.

After dumping it 3 times in the mud, had to wait and follow a semi's tire grooves out.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:19 PM
Michael Haz
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 34 Posts

I did a 13,000 mile Alaska ride. A few tips: plan to arrive in mid to late June, and to leave Alaska by mid to late July for the best weather. You can book inexpensive rooms in Anchorage and Fairbanks in Univ of Alaska dorm rooms. Contact them well in advance of your arrival. Buy and use a Spot in case you need to contact help in areas not served by cell phones. Join a plan like MedJet Assist that will medevac you home in the event of an accident. I limited camping and preferred motels because I didn't want to be in the food chain. Get some expert advice from a local HD shop before you try riding the Dalton. It looks easy until **** goes bad, and then you're in big time trouble.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:55 AM
rydeer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Michael Haz
I did a 13,000 mile Alaska ride. A few tips: plan to arrive in mid to late June, and to leave Alaska by mid to late July for the best weather. You can book inexpensive rooms in Anchorage and Fairbanks in Univ of Alaska dorm rooms. Contact them well in advance of your arrival. Buy and use a Spot in case you need to contact help in areas not served by cell phones. Join a plan like MedJet Assist that will medevac you home in the event of an accident. I limited camping and preferred motels because I didn't want to be in the food chain. Get some expert advice from a local HD shop before you try riding the Dalton. It looks easy until **** goes bad, and then you're in big time trouble.
LOL H-D of Fairbanks Recommended Enterprise rent a car when I was there!

Old 08-11-2016, 12:47 PM
Zerk
Banned

Hell I don't even see that many Harleys when I get of US.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Zerk
Banned

If it was easy everyone would do it.

Last edited by Zerk; 06-21-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
I can live without that experience. I just had a tent. Used some clothes for a pillow.

Typically it wasn't hard to get a room. The last room available was only around 3 or 4 pm, having rode around 400 miles. Ended up going 200 or more, and sleeping on the ground.

Not sure if the Milepost has been mentioned. Great read. Get the most up to date copy, because it will have road conditions and constructions, not that, that is a guarantee. Some people brought it along so they could use the ads for motels and such.
so you are telling me I need to be off the road by 3ish because I won't find a room? With the amount of daylight still available I figured I could make up miles some days if I decide to hangout at a place for a day.

Thanks for the reminder about the milepost again, will def get one

I have 5 gallon tank, and gassed up at the next place after 75 miles. Most stuff is about 100 miles apart.

People will say I can go 175 miles, why gas up. Because it is not uncommon to have to go another 100 miles.

Places close down too, or may not be open for the season yet. Until you pump gas, don't count on it.

I topped at place near Yukon River on way to Arctic Circle, that was supposed to have gas. Sat and had a pop. Turns out they had no gas, 5 miles to next place, closed at 9pm in 10 minutes, on gravel roads. They were closed. I had to bang and bang on door, going around back. Next place was 160 miles. I would have had to sleep in the parking lot of a very remote gas station.

Cassiar Highway is 160 miles between gas stations. Though I have heard there is place with gas in Hope. But places come and go.
good info

Old 08-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I was talking to a guy on a BWM who was driving up there and selling his bike flying home. Not a bad idea if time is an issue. The ride up might be the best part of it.

Plus having to tell people you fly up and rented, would make me feel like a *****.

The ride up is what seperates riders. The ride up the Ice Road/ Dalton Highway, even more so. I didn't make it to Dawson up top of the world. Similar road I hear.
I hear ya, much prefer to ride up and back and working for a family owned business and a dad who understands time is not a factor. Being in my mid 40s and both my kids in their twenties opens up adventures on two wheels. Did I mention I am divorced? lol no worries no hurries

Originally Posted by rydeer
Zerk, I was in That Walmart Parking lot. Fortunately I found a room. It was only 2 pm But it was Pouring. There Was a bar right next door. I deserved the rest and relax.
As far as camping, it wasn't for Me. I bought a new sleeping bag and a new tent. Never opened them and sold them. They have now ridden near 20,000 miles at last count and still not used.
I do remember seeing Bicycles with trailers and bags all over them. These people were 75 miles from nowhere in the mountains. They must have found a safe place to tent.
When I was there 2014 , it was the rainiest summer on record for Alaska. There was NO Way I would have lived on the bike on the Dalton. My bike was in for oil and tires. I called Enterprise and rented a Yukon 4X4 to go to the circle. Buy the extra insurance if you do this. I had 3 spiders in the windshield and dings everywhere. Don't tell enterprise that You are going there and find a carwash before returning.
good info

If it was an easy road, I wouldn't have brought it up.

THough I am sure weather plays a part and sometimes are worse then others. Either way it is 115 miles of gravel up and then back, just to get to Article Circle.

After dumping it 3 times in the mud, had to wait and follow a semi's tire grooves out.
If anyone has ever road on sand that ain't fun either but you do it to say you have done it lol

Originally Posted by Michael Haz
thanks lots of good info

If it was easy everyone would do it.
my thoughts exactly

I have just watched the movie the long way around and has really sparked doing this. While it will never be a trip like they took it still makes you want to do something adventurous. By the way I started watching the long way down too.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:16 PM
rydeer
Cruiser

Redbank, I typically rode from 8 to 5. I never had a prob getting a room. some of the riding was very tiring, Shoulders and arms. I never wanted to keep on going on. You will look at Your Map and see that the next stop is 150 miles away and then someone coming the other way will tell You about the construction on that leg. A Gas stop is a social event for Alcan travelers. You will welcome the break. It's not like cruising I 90 across S Dak and Mont. Sounds like Zerks Experience in White Horse was a Fluke. White Horse is the First and Last Civilization You will see for a while. These other "towns" are just one Business. Gas/Campground/restaurant etc. Many places I pumped My gas, then go in and tell the counter girl how many liters I took. She put it on the bill and I ate and got a room and paid all at once. One place had a self serv bar. You wrote down what you drank and paid later. Another place had a sign on the door" If We are closed, any rooms with open doors are avail, Check in in the Morning!

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania to Alaska