Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pennsylvania to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:30 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by teeroy_
per capita:

you are more than twice as likely to be murdered living in the US compared to Canada.

US crime rate is 43% higher than Canada

violent crime using firearms is three times more likely in the US

violent crime murder rate in the US is 23 times higher

rape is 147 times more likely in the US

yes, you people need your guns. I won't argue that
Originally Posted by Zerk

What chance are you willing to take, with your life, wife, kid?

1 in 1000, 1 in 10000, what are you willing to take with your love ones?

I agree it is more dangerous in the US number wise, based on larger cities and demographics.

I come back to the greyhound bus. UP had a serial killer, only killed 2 woman that we know of. Any where you have people you have a risk.

Plus I carry one when running my dogs, cause I am worried about black bears and wolves going after them. We have a problem with wolves eating dogs.

Originally Posted by Ilovebeer
The stat that I always point to is that there is an equal chance that your gun will shoot someone in your family, or yourself (by your own or someone else's), than your gun shooting a criminal. As I said, I like guns, I worked in law enforcement carrying a gun for a few years, but I leave carrying guns to the professionals (which I am not anymore). Many people who carry won't be able to handle the situation when it arises. In most circumstances you will be better off running away and calling in the professionals.
I believe that stat is cooked. Probably by using suicide numbers or just lies. Guns don't go off on their own.

Canada didn't just give up the right to carry a gun, they gave up the right to own it.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:55 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,622 Likes on 9,825 Posts

That's a long ride, I think I can hang for "Pittsburgh to Lebanon" ( Butthole Surfers ) LOl!

Old 08-23-2016, 08:10 AM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
That's a long ride, I think I can hang for "Pittsburgh to Lebanon" ( Butthole Surfers ) LOl!
If you are riding that superglide in your avatar with no windshield I am sure you would think it would be a long ride. Try a geezer glide and your tune will change about how many miles you can put on in a day and for how many days you can do it for. After owning an ultra, a road glide and now a street glide it changes your perspective of riding. I made the jump years ago from a 1200 custom sportster to the ultra, talk about a change.

I don't even like to get the bike out of the garage if I can't put at least a 100 miles on it. Anything less is a tease.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:39 AM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk

Canada didn't just give up the right to carry a gun, they gave up the right to own it.
I do hope you're speaking metaphorically, many Canadians (such as myself) have quite extensive gun collections. and there are only a few of them we are not allowed to carry in public.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:03 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Can you have a loaded handgun in your house?

My understanding is it must be over 4" and only used at range.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:03 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just enjoy the Trip and save the politics for when You get Home. It will be the trip of a lifetime. Don't try to plan too much, Enjoy it and take it as it happens!

Old 01-16-2018, 02:38 PM
Redbank
Cruiser

Bringing this back from the dead. I didn't get to go in 2017 as some health issues came up. The good thing is I am planning on leaving about 4 months with one of my buddies.

Did anyone make the trip like some said they were going in 2017? I wanna hear how it went.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:54 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,201 Likes on 8,962 Posts

I suggest you start a new thread. I rode the Alcan last summer.

If you go to post -#643 of The Journeys Of Darla, you will see my ride from Vancouver BC to Fairbanks to Ontario

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 01-16-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbank
If you are riding that superglide in your avatar with no windshield I am sure you would think it would be a long ride. Try a geezer glide and your tune will change about how many miles you can put on in a day and for how many days you can do it for. After owning an ultra, a road glide and now a street glide it changes your perspective of riding. I made the jump years ago from a 1200 custom sportster to the ultra, talk about a change.

I don't even like to get the bike out of the garage if I can't put at least a 100 miles on it. Anything less is a tease.
Everyone has different levels of what they consider to be comfortable.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 01-16-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Redbank
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
I suggest you start a new thread. I rode the Alcan last summer.

If you go to post -#643 of The Journeys Of Darla, you will see my ride from Vancouver BC to Fairbanks to Ontario
I did read your thread.

I brought this back up because it is full of good info so starting a new thread wouldn't bring back all the good stuff for someone that may not have seen this post before. There may have been some politics on it but that is what moderators are for.

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania to Alaska