Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pennsylvania to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 03:38 PM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Everyone has different levels of what they consider to be comfortable.

you are so right and I admire you for making the trip on your dyna. congrats to you sir!

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (01-16-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Game plan

Redbank,

What's your plan for this summer? Are you still thinking about a mid June departure? Have you decided on a route and are you 16ing it or 61ing it? That stands for camping or Holiday Inns?

Old 03-09-2018, 08:53 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

I just noticed that the 2018 version of The Milepost is available as of the 7th of March. Amazon

Old 03-09-2018, 11:25 AM
Redbank
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
Redbank,

What's your plan for this summer? Are you still thinking about a mid June departure? Have you decided on a route and are you 16ing it or 61ing it? That stands for camping or Holiday Inns?
Plan on leaving May 24th. Figuring it will take about 10 days to reach Alaska.

Plan on heading west on US rt 2 and then heading up into Manitoba and take Canada rt 1 into the Rockies (Banff & Jasper) and wiggle up through there and eventually hit Alcan highway, of course this is all weather permitting. One the way back we plan on riding through British Columbia (37 to 16) into Prince George and then depending on what happens on the way up we may head into the rockies again into Glacier.

I got all the pieces to being able to tent camp and hoping to stick with that and just do hotel/motel occasionally. I have a buddy going now. We both like to ride which is a bonus because there will be a lot of riding.

What about you?

Old 03-09-2018, 11:27 AM
Redbank
Cruiser

I just noticed that the 2018 version of The Milepost is available as of the 7th of March. Amazon
My buddy pre-ordered this.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:02 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redbank
Plan on leaving May 24th. Figuring it will take about 10 days to reach Alaska.
/////
What about you?
I can't seem to get my act together. I have plotted two separate routes, but things have come up, like two weddings that I have to attend, that may make me delay it a year.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:11 AM
Redbank
Cruiser

I can't seem to get my act together. I have plotted two separate routes, but things have come up, like two weddings that I have to attend, that may make me delay it a year.
I know what you mean. Last year should have been my year but came down with some health issues early in 2017 and called it off because I wasn't sure I would be ready by summertime.

I promised myself regardless of what happens this year I am going and announced my intentions to my family. So in the meantime my youngest daughter became pregnant with her first baby (my first grandchild) which due in mid May, my oldest is getting married in September, my fiance's oldest daughter is graduating high school and of course add in the grad party. Nothing ain't stopping me. Kick stand up and I am gone lol

Old 06-15-2018, 10:49 AM
Redbank
Cruiser

update.

Left for Alaska on May 24th with a riding buddy. Reached Fairbanks in 8 1/2 days riding through Banff and Jasper then hit the Alaskan Highway (4,300ish miles) and got the bikes serviced the next day. Headed for the Arctic Circle the following morning and came back to Fairbanks that evening which was a little over 400 miles (won't do that trip again). Continued onto Denali, Anchorage, Valdez, Haines, Skagway, Tok and then back the Cassiar Hwy and back thru the Canadian Rockies (during the snow storm) and back home yesterday June 14th. I had a blast and seen lots of wildlife and fantastic scenery. Put around 10,300ish miles on the bike in 21 days. The days are long which made for riding all day very doable with plenty of breaks during the day to rest and see what we wanted to see. I have lots of pics including one like Nomadax's lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by Redbank:
Michael Haz (06-15-2018), Peter Griffin (06-21-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 11:02 AM
Michael Haz
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 34 Posts

Great trip! Pretty much what we did, except we started and returned to Wisconsin, and alos went all the way up the haul road to Deadhorse. Memories for a lifetime.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:32 AM
Redbank
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Michael Haz
Great trip! Pretty much what we did, except we started and returned to Wisconsin, and alos went all the way up the haul road to Deadhorse. Memories for a lifetime.
The Dalton Highway was more of an aggravation than anything else, I was ready to turn around at the Yukon river but my buddy convinced me to the Arctic Circle. We once considered riding to Deadhorse but glad we didn't, only thing that may have been worth it is to see a muskox but we could have seen them up to the AC. The guy at the Yukon rest stop said this is the best the road has been in 3 years. It was dusty going up but hit rain on the way back at the road tacked up and covered our bikes in the calcium and mud they put on the road.

On our way back we met some older guys (70s) on Harleys that were heading to the AC towing trailers, we told them it was not advisable with the trailers but they were convinced they were gonna do it. I just hope all went well.

Last edited by Redbank; 06-15-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania to Alaska