Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Long weekend to Fort Bragg, CA

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:29 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain
Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Long weekend to Fort Bragg, CA

I live in a mountainous area with lots of great riding, but I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with the riding in the Emerald Triangle. Hwy 20 from Willits to Fort Bragg was an absolute blast. Hwy 1 from Fort Bragg to Leggett was pretty incredible too. I've ridden the Avenue of the Giants before, but I did it again anyway, if for no other reason than to beat the heat.

Final stats: 4 days, 845 miles, 3 dealerships, 2 breweries, 1 lighthouse, lots of redwoods.

Eel River Brewing's California Blonde Ale is soooo good after a hot ride.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:37 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

If you make it back, ride down Hwy 1 & stop for some great food & an outstanding Bloodymary. Patrick makes them from scratch. https://www.google.com/search?q=rive...OOfFsS66gUM%3A

Old 08-17-2016, 07:12 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,995 Likes on 1,434 Posts

Sounds like you had a great ride. I love those roads. I just did a 4 day, 1,030 mile ride from SF to Medford going through the same area you were in but on slightly different roads. I rode north on 101 to Arcata and then east on 299 to Willow Creek,then east on CA state route 96, and then I5 into Medford. Then I reversed it going home. The highlight was CA Route 96. I had never been on it before. And it was nearly deserted. I had this modern, well engineered road all to myself for long periods of time. Quintessential California. Check this out guys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_96

Old 08-17-2016, 08:50 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain

That's also the way we came back. We met our in-laws in Yuba City then rode over with them to Fort Bragg. Coming back we took Hwy 1 to Leggett, then 101/Avenue of the Giants to Arcata. Unfortunately there was a lot of construction between Arcata and Willow Creek and it was too damn hot.

I rode Lolo Pass earlier this summer, and Hwy 96 is comparable for miles and miles of twisties and great scenery. I've done it a couple of times before and really enjoyed it.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:10 PM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

I rode Highway 36, Avenue of the Giants, out to Shelter Cove and down the coast to Jenner recently. I could smell the bud from all the plantations in Humboldt County.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:01 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain

Yep they don't call it the Emerald Triangle for nothing. Rode to Shelter Cove a couple of years ago, great fun. Haven't done 36 yet but it's on the list.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:02 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

I had a long talk with one local guy in Humboldt county that was involved in growing pot. I learned a lot about the business side of pot farming where it is semi legal. This guy sells all his weed to one person who he says probably ships it out of state. Cotton and rice are considered to be California's largest crops. But according to this fellow, if you figure the dollar value of the pot grown in California, it is the most valuable crop in California. The acreage and amount are not that large, but since the price is so high, it makes up for the lack of volume and is the leading crop in California according to this fellow.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:24 PM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

Friends tell me the big money is from the East Coast. They fly in, buy the product and fly out. Legalization of marijuana would likely make this trade not as lucrative.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:33 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Rode few times hwy 20 from Williams CA to PCH 1 to Fortuna and hwy 36 to Red bluff to Suasanville then US 395 home what a beautiful ride and we had great time. A friend of mine who visited tail of dragon was very impressed and actually admitted it's more fun and lot more sharp curves then the tail of dragon. Mad River "downtown" burger on hwy 36 is a must stop for good food in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:54 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
Rode few times hwy 20 from Williams CA to PCH 1 to Fortuna and hwy 36 to Red bluff to Suasanville then US 395 home what a beautiful ride and we had great time. A friend of mine who visited tail of dragon was very impressed and actually admitted it's more fun and lot more sharp curves then the tail of dragon. Mad River "downtown" burger on hwy 36 is a must stop for good food in the middle of nowhere.
Most have no idea what an incredible ride you have there. They can talk about the Dragon all they want. We know what we have in California between the coastal mountains from Socal to Oregon, and the Sierra/Cascades. We have the best roads for riding.

Quick Reply: Long weekend to Fort Bragg, CA