Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Atlantic to Pacific

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:14 AM
inhershey
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. The route and the timing is still in the planning stage. At this point we are intending for a round-trip and taking one month to do it. I'm not sure if that is realistic or not.

Also hoping to stay north as we head west to get through those mountain passes earlier in the year and that way coming east through a southerly route would be a little later in the year and hopefully cooler.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:33 AM
chrisvor
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi
I have done coast to coast up and down and across the middle all in all 4 times have posted short post under the title Riding Across America you might get some ideas there....

from your comment it seems you been most places in the east cant say I'm the best reference on the places i rode but will post a few of my favourite places i liked a lot while touring the states
this was how all our trips took shape by planning what we wanted to see the most then the trip itself just evolved from there.........planning is the fun part so enjoy
heres places i liked on the Central and West side of the country
Kansas City the Harley factory
Milwaukee the Museum
Chicago beautiful city
Keystone/ Mount Rushmore
YellowStone
Colorado Million Dollar Highway /Silverton/Uray
Four Corners /Monument Valley/Grand Canyon
Death valley
Yosemite
Moab/Arches/Canyonlands
Crater lake /Oregon
Manitou Springs Colorado

Old 04-24-2017, 10:28 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by inhershey
My wife and I are from central Pennsylvania and we've done a few rides over 1000 miles. We've been all over PA and into WV, VA, MD, DE, NC, and TN but we are planning the big one.

I'd really like to hear from some of you that have done the coast to coast ride. Any recommended routes or routes to avoid? How about must see points of interest or some that weren't worth it.

At this point, we are thinking about starting at Ocean City, MD and taking Rt. 50 west to Kansas City. Then maybe 395 North before we head west again.

Has anybody out there done that ride?
If you do plan on coming through Kansas City, shoot me an e-mail (frank at franktherealbiker dot com) and I'll suggest some routes that will take you around the metro area. It's best to avoid the city unless you have some place in town that you need/want to visit. Nothing much to see in Kansas City other than more "city." The Harley factory that was mentioned earlier in this thread is at the north end of the metro area and you can get there without going through the mess in the metro. Don't get me wrong, though. KC is a nice place, the roads are good and the people are decent, but riding a motorcycle on the interstate in almost ANY metro area is less than enjoyable, and often dangerous...especially during rush hour.

If you're looking for things to see along your route, you might try one of my favorite web sites. Roadside America. It shows all sorts of interesting/goofy/unusual things to see. I usually pull up the map for a state and see what's along my intended route. I discovered a strange sight last year and submitted it to the website myself. You can have yer Grand Canyon and the Rocky Mountains...it's gems like this that make the trip worth while.

(Standard disclaimer. I have no financial or personal interest in Roadside America. I just like the site and think other folks should know about it.)

The following users liked this post:
Brit Biker (04-25-2017)