Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Atlantic to Pacific

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:29 PM
inhershey
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Atlantic to Pacific

My wife and I are from central Pennsylvania and we've done a few rides over 1000 miles. We've been all over PA and into WV, VA, MD, DE, NC, and TN but we are planning the big one.

I'd really like to hear from some of you that have done the coast to coast ride. Any recommended routes or routes to avoid? How about must see points of interest or some that weren't worth it.

At this point, we are thinking about starting at Ocean City, MD and taking Rt. 50 west to Kansas City. Then maybe 395 North before we head west again.

Has anybody out there done that ride?

Old 04-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Brit Biker
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did that ride with my Husband in 2014. Here is our blog of our travels:
www.biketourwest.blogspot.com

We did a shorter trip to Colorado the following year.
We really enjoyed our trips. We left from Maine, so headed west somewhat north of you.
We returned on a more southerly route as you can see if you check out our final route on the blog itself. We would not have changed a thing - except never to have come back!

We are doing it again this year! Still planning. Savor the planning part and enjoy the ride when it comes!

The following users liked this post:
inhershey (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 01:15 PM
inhershey
Novice

I did check out the link. Thanks for the info. Was there any hassle with the Canadian border and travel parts?

Did you encounter any issues with snow in higher elevations?

Any recommendations on what month to be going through those higher elevations?

Old 04-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Brit Biker
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We frequently cross the border into Canada and have never had any issues. We both have clean licenses and no criminal record. We don't carry weapons which is a big no no crossing into Canada.

Both times we have tried to ride the Beartooth Highway (once in August and once in September) it has snowed and the road was close due to icing. There was a small amount of snow by the road when we came across the Bighorn mountains (WY) in September. We did not encounter any snow in Colorado. (lots of rain in the afternoons though!)
Depending on when you do the trip, I would recommend heated jackets and gloves. Whenever you go, good rain gear that keeps you dry will be essential.

inhershey (04-21-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 11:55 AM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Don't forget to spend time on Historic Route 66. You can pick it up in St. Louis and take it all the way to southern California. No trip from coast to coast, would be complete without taking in some of Historic Route 66.

http://www.eaglerider.com/self-drive...otorcycle-tour

inhershey (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 12:11 PM
inhershey
Novice

Thanks, I'll be sure to work that into the trip somewhere.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:02 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,327 Likes on 8,540 Posts

I would be glad to suggest trips through California west coast starting in Las Vegas and returning I-80 Salt Lake City or I-70 Denver.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:12 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

When are you doing this ride?
I would suggest you go West using 1 route, and return via another route.
The "northern route" will likely be wetter.
The "southern route" will likely be warmer.

If you're going after Memorial Day, beware the southern route does heat up in the western 1000 miles.

What's you time frame also?

2 weeks doesn't leave much time to do anything much more than "look at asphalt."

Old 04-22-2017, 04:32 PM
inhershey
Novice

Timing is one of the decisions we need to make. Probably next year but trying to gather info so we can make those decisions.
The plan at this point would be for us to leave around the end of August and we had originally planned on one month round trip. Looking at some other blogs and web sites, I'm not sure if that's really enough time to make it enjoyable.

We have points of interest layed out on a map but aside from seeing family in Missouri and Indiana, most of those are in the western 3rd of the map.

We are trying to avoid long stretches of highway but don't want to end up on a dirt road in the middle nowhere either.

I've been told that snow and wildfire season can change the route depending on time of year and weather patterns.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

I didn't see a link or pic of your routes. I would take at least a month for a trip of that distance.

Mountain passes should be open by the last week of May but check beforehand. Mountain weather can change quickly and snow can happen anytime. Into Sept the weather gets iffy, too.

Past mid-May and into Sept the southwest will be toasty. Expect 90s and 100s depending on altitude. Be sure to cover up to keep the sun off and drink lots of water. The Mojave Desert can feel like a hair dryer in your face.

Now that I said all that, I would rather ride in the West than pretty much anywhere else. So much diversity in the scenery and great roads. Late May into June will still have a lot of snow on the mountains, just beautiful!

You mentioned relatives in MO. Lots of great riding in the Ozarks of MO and AR!

Whatever you do, enjoy the ride!

Last edited by gtmalone; 04-24-2017 at 09:04 AM.
inhershey (04-24-2017)

Quick Reply: Atlantic to Pacific