Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

One stove + campfire meal ideas on 3-4 wk cross country moto/camping trip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 09:00 PM
maKINGwaffles
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One stove + campfire meal ideas on 3-4 wk cross country moto/camping trip?

I'm traveling cross country from SC to WA on my Harley Sportster and am camping most nights. I probably stop for most dinners at restaurants but some days may be short on daylight and would rather set up camp in light than dark, so plan to bring a backpacking butane stove and a small backpacking pot and pan. With 1 burner, my options are limited. Some nights I'll make a fire and have an extendable roasting stick to roast hot dogs, kabobs or meat, but probably not every night. Another problem I have is keeping food fresh. I hate dinners after a long day that don't contain meat, so if anybody has ideas other than buying meat at the store as close as possible to cooking time, please share. That being said, I'm also looking for breakfast ideas other than oatmeal and grits.

So back to my main purpose. Does anybody have any one stovetop camping recipes they would like to share? I've seen you Harley fellows and know you like to eat!!

Old 06-08-2017, 11:23 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Can't help you with recipes, but I will send good thoughts that you make it to your WA destination safe and well-fed!

Old 06-08-2017, 11:27 PM
maKINGwaffles
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks a bunch Nick! I'll be posting occasionally along the way, but unfortunately the wifi in my tent is pretty weak.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:45 PM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 294 Likes on 157 Posts

2 things immediately came to mind....Ramen or canned stuff. Check backpacking/camp websites or blogs. Betcha you'll find some close to gourmet recipes. Have fun! I'm extremely jealous!

Old 06-09-2017, 12:00 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Just a thought but have you ever thought about MRE's or something similar? I've seen several packages of dehydrated things to eat in my local sporting goods store that I've been tempted to try some time just for the heck of it. They also don't weight very much so you can carry a lot of them without adding a lot of extra weight to haul around on your bike.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:40 AM
Aviator5456
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Lots of choices if you really think about it. Spam is meat that keeps for a long time and is good for breakfast or dinner. Get a can of small potatoes and cut up the spam and throw it all together. If you have foil, add some onions, butter, cheddar cheese and throw it on the coals. Save the cheese for last. You can also get a can of corn beef hash, makes a good breakfast. If you have a container to carry milk, Organic milk doesn't need refrigeration and will last a long time. (They actually pasteurize it to a higher temp than regular milk which kills most of the bacteria that spoils milk). I keep a bag of granola and put milk on it for breakfast. I also keep some freeze dried meals. Mountain House is a brand thats common and they're not bad, if you're hungry. All you need is hot water. They make both breakfast, dinner and deserts. They even have a "freeze dried ice cream sandwich"....Good luck and safe travels.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:07 AM
custm1200
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You could always call for a pizza delivery, Depends on how far your campsite is from town. It works out great while you set up your camp and then you have a hot pizza showing up. Some places will actually bring beer if they sell it at the store. When crossing the mountains, a hot cup of soup/chili will warm the bones. Have fun and think easy meals

Old 06-09-2017, 08:22 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have done all of the above at one time or another and all are good. one thing you should add is TUMS. For some reason any of these things consumed on the road seems to have a way of keeping you up at night. Freeze dried food only needs hot water and usually no dishes or pots to wash. One thing to look into is a french press for coffee in the morning. It only needs hot water in it and will usually make 1-2 cups. It does not take up much space and it makes coffee very quick. Sounds like a fun trip!

Old 06-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

You really need to look at Mountain House freeze dried food. I've gone on several hunts for up to a week in some pretty remote country and only took these meals. They're light, pack easily and all you need is hot water. They are surprisingly tasty too. If it's in a can it weighs to much.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:32 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

Wise Food Storage. Sounds similar to Mountain House - freeze dried food in handy packets, just add water and you have a meal - amazing variety - you can have a whole dinner ready to go. These are what many hikers and campers use.

Quick Reply: One stove + campfire meal ideas on 3-4 wk cross country moto/camping trip?