Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

48 States and DC - 16 Days

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 04:30 AM
Captain4w
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love it, keep it up.

The following users liked this post:
FXDXTSport (09-14-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 06:32 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 498 Likes on 234 Posts
Default Day 13

Only two states today and one time zone even though big miles. Texas and New Mexico.

Left Claremore, OK at 6:20. Hit I40. Of course, multiple toll booths. However the last two were unmanned and required exact change. They had a bill changer that would take one and fives. Got change at the first one and paid the toll. Got change at the second one and paid the toll but it didn’t give me a green light. Thought I might have put in a nickel when I thought it was a quarter so through in another quarter. Nothing. So I put in the rest of my change (40 cents) and still nothing. Now I only have $10s and $20s so I can’t get more change. Decided the hell with it and went through the red light. I’ll probably get a ticket in the mail. Whatever!

Stopped for gas after only 80 miles because there was a sign that said last gas before end of expressway but didn’t say how far that was (turned out to be 50 miles). After gassing up I hit the restroom and when I came out there were four guys there that were members of the Confederate Riders of America Club. They were looking at my bike and one of them says “where did you find those bugs”. I told him they were Mississippi bugs Nice guys on a mixed set of bikes. A Can Am, Goldwing, Kawasaki and Road Glide. They were on their way to a club meeting in Oklahoma City.

So, on I went through Oklahoma on to Texas. When I hit Amarillo the freeway was closed due to bridge work. I came up to the stopped traffic and decided to get off the freeway and see if I could find some back roads. Anything it better that sitting on the freeway in the heat until the bike goes into Limp (overheat) mode. I exited on a frontage road and just kept following along beside the freeway and the stopped vehicles. Pickups and a few cars drove across the grass barrier between the freeway and the frontage road to get off the freeway. It was kind of entertaining watching them bounce and dig up the grass. I saw one car stuck. I followed on the frontage road for about two miles and came to the place where everyone was supposed to exit the freeway. It was a narrow one lane corridor and a big rig had broken down and blocked the only way off. Cop cars all over. I’m guessing they were waiting on a tow truck. So right after that you get back on the freeway past the bridge they are working on. I had all of I40 to myself. One of the few times I’ve tried to go around a traffic mess and it actually worked out.

From there on it was uneventful. Pretty warm the last couple hours of the ride. Got to Santa Rosa at 3:45 CDT, 2:45 MDT.

However, I am very worried at the moment. When I got to the hotel the bike was making a very strange sound. Sounds like it’s coming from the rear cylinder. Kind of a high pitched whine that I have never heard before. The nearest dealer is in Albuquerque, about 120 miles away. I’ll stop by there on the way tomorrow, assuming it isn’t something really bad and the bike makes it that far.

The good news is that I can now say I’ve ridden my bike in all 48 states. Texas was the only one I was missing. If things go bad with the bike I won’t be able to say I rode them all in 16 days but at least I’ll have ridden them all at some point. Not a lot of people have been to all 48 and DC, let alone on a bike.

Anyway, 559 miles today. Here’s hoping I can keep going

Attached Thumbnails 48 States and DC - 16 Days-dsc00113-large-.jpg  
Old 09-10-2017, 10:05 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,533 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Does the whining fluctuate with engine RPM's?

May be a good idea to listen for it when you first start your bike in the morning.

It's an easy ride to Duke City H-D so pamper your bike and I hope all is well.

Ride safely.

FXDXTSport (09-14-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 07:23 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Does the whining fluctuate with engine RPM's?

May be a good idea to listen for it when you first start your bike in the morning.

It's an easy ride to Duke City H-D so pamper your bike and I hope all is well.

Ride safely.
I went out and started it this morning. Whine is still there but doesn't seem as loud. Probably because the bike not warmed up. The sound varies with engine RPM. I'm leaving early so I can ride slower than normal. I'll still get there before the open.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:42 AM
tomve
Tourer
Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Good luck, keep us posted.

FXDXTSport (09-14-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Papa G
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 312 Likes on 302 Posts

Hope they can get you fixed up to finish the ride. its been so great following your journey that I hope you get your 16 day goal! Ride safe!

FXDXTSport (09-14-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 08:57 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Default Day 14

Two more states. Colorado and Arizona. It was the best of days and the worst of days.

The best: Left Santa Rosa for Albuquerque at 6:30. Bike was still making bad noise. It was 120 miles to the dealer and they open at 9:00 so I left early, got in the right lane and motored along at 60 mph, taking it easy on the bike. There wasn’t any traffic so going 15 under the speed limit didn’t cause any problem. Got to the dealer and the bike wasn’t making the noise anymore. Still talked to the lead tech at the dealership (Thunderbird Harley) and he said it sounded like the primary chain was too tight. He said if you get on the throttle hard and then completely back off in a low gear the auto adjuster will tighten the chain and you have to ride a little ways for it to return to normal. I had come out of a gas station onto the highway then immediately turned right into the hotel. So I had cranked it hard in 1st gear and then immediately let off to turn and then stopped after about 100 feet. I hope he’s right. Bike is running great so we’ll see.

The road from Albuquerque to Cuba was plain and the scenery reminded me of Southern Arizona without the cacti. Highway 550 out of Cuba was great scenery wise. Not a very smooth road at 70 mph but the views made up for it.

Went up into Colorado then back down through four corners on Highway 160. Stopped for gas at Mexican Water and bought two bottles of water. One I drank and the other I poured all over my neck and shoulders because it was HOT. Made for nice homemade air conditioning for a while.

Just after I passed Kayenta it started raining. Not raining hard, just about perfect. The temp dropped to about 80 and it felt good. Could see lightning off in the distance. As I kept going it quit raining but the roads were really wet with standing water in a lot of low spots.

The worst: All of a sudden, about 8 miles before the Highway 98 turnoff to Page traffic stopped. After sitting there for an hour, lots of cars were turning around. I was standing in the road so a guy stopped and said a canal had washed out in the heavy rain and flooded the road. It would be five hours before it was open again. I looked at my maps and the only way I could get to Page by back tracing was 300 miles. I figured I’d just wait out the five hours and hope the guy was exaggerating.

Another hour went by then we started to move. We’d move a ways then stop then move again. Turns out I was only about a half mile back from the washout. They were letting one lane through so they’d let my lane for awhile and then the oncoming lane. When we got to the washout a state trooper stopped me and asked if I really thought I could get through. It was about four to six inches of mud and rock for about 100 feet. I said yeah. He asked “are you sure, we don’t want you blocking the road” I replied “yes, I’m sure! (with my fingers crossed). Waited until the car in front of me was completely through and then took off. I wanted to have a little momentum so I wouldn’t have to gas it and have the *** end come around. Made it through without a problem but now there is mud everywhere.

After that it was an uneventful but really hot ride to Page, AZ. If you’ve never been to Page, I highly recommend it. It’s right at the bottom of Lake Powell beside the Glen Canyon Dam. The scenery around here is off the charts.

So another day, another 547 miles. Two days to go to complete the 48.

Attached Thumbnails 48 States and DC - 16 Days-dsc00141-large-.jpg   48 States and DC - 16 Days-dsc00145-large-.jpg  
Old 09-11-2017, 10:55 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,533 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Sounds like your trip is getting more adventurous as you get close to home.

Glad that your bike wasn't seriously ill and that you got through the obstacle course intact.

FXDXTSport (09-14-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 01:18 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,983 Likes on 2,588 Posts

Funny I was at Four Corners and rode 160 on Thursday, we almost crossed paths. Keep it up, almost there. Good luck.

FXDXTSport (09-14-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 06:43 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Default Day 15

Two more states- Utah and Nevada

Left Page, AZ at 6:30. The sun was up and it was 74 degrees. Seemed funny the sun was up so early. Rode 10 miles and entered Utah and my Nav System said it was 7:40. What the heck. Did I have my times wrong. Rode a while longer and was back in Arizona and the time switched back an hour. Finally remembered that Arizona doesn’t follow DST.

In and out of Arizona and Utah all the way to St. George, UT. The scenery was magnificent. The roads were good and no traffic.

Once I got to St George I got on I15 until the town of Moapa where I turned on to highway 98. I stopped for gas in Moapa to ensure I had a full tank. Gas stations are few and far between in the Nevada desert. I got to Moapa at 11:00 and it was hot. Weather Channel said presently 98 going to 103. Bought two bottles of water again. Drank on and dumped the other all over my chest, back and arms until my shirt was soaked.

Left Moapa and rode 74 miles to Hiko where I gassed up again. Good thing because it was the last station before Tonopah 154 miles away.

The roads out of Hiko, 98 and 6 were unbelievably boring. Go straight for 20 miles, turn a little and go straight again. I took a picture as an example. Also, watch out for the cows on the road. Does anyone know why free range cattle have to stay by the highways? I went about 50 miles without seeing another car, house farm, anything but desert and cows. By about 1:00 it was getting really hot. Finally climbed a hill to 6200 ft. about 100 miles from Tonopah and the temperature dropped quite a bit. It was actually comfortable. When I got to Tonopah it was 84 degrees.

So, a really boring day after St. George followed by a really boring report to all of you. Also a really short day at only 458 miles.

More tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails 48 States and DC - 16 Days-dsc00153-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: 48 States and DC - 16 Days