Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

48 States and DC - 16 Days

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 09:14 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Interesting stats!

I've never got that specific on travel costs but estimating (from previous trips) a "ball park" figure including everything I spend on a trip is approximately $200 per day, for me only.

When my wife goes with me, riding her own bike, I plan on $300 per day, due mainly to fuel for her bike, tolls and food (she won't eat in my kind of restaurants).

If I go with my riding partner, I do much better at about $150 per day.

Traveling ain't cheap and motel rooms are the largest expenditures if you're not sharing a room, and I'm too old to camp anymore.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:53 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
Guys, try this link. https://rideplanner.harley-davidson....2&locale=en_US

Once you open the link, click on view/edit ride plan and you can zoom in and see every road. You can also see detail turn by turn instructions. I planned it with hotel stays so each ending day is at a hotel.

If that doesn't work, I'll recreate the ride in google maps. Keep in mind that this ride plan includes a day before starting the 48 and a day after. Day before to visit friends in Brewster, WA so my 48 trip stated in Spokane, WA and ended in Klamath Falls, OR. The last day was getting home and visiting a 93 year old uncle in Eugene, OR on the way.

More on the trip later.
Thanks for doing this! Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any way for us to save this route. If I try to do that, it tells me that there must be at least one waypoint. ?!? So, apparently, even though I can view your ride, it's not my ride, so I can't save it, or share it. I tried to save it as a gpx file, and it won't let me do that either.

If you can save it as a Google map file, if it's not too difficult, that would be super! TIA!

Old 09-15-2017, 11:22 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Thanks for doing this! Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any way for us to save this route. If I try to do that, it tells me that there must be at least one waypoint. ?!? So, apparently, even though I can view your ride, it's not my ride, so I can't save it, or share it. I tried to save it as a gpx file, and it won't let me do that either.

If you can save it as a Google map file, if it's not too difficult, that would be super! TIA!
I'll do the google maps over the next few days. One problem with google maps is that I can't do the whole route on one map, too many waypoints. I'll post the links when I get them done. One question. Are you registered on the Harley site? If you are, log in to ride planner as your looking at the ride and that may allow you to save it as your own. If not registered, go ahead and do it. They don't send you any spam emails.

Last edited by FXDXTSport; 09-15-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:02 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

I am logged in. There is no "Save" function at all, unless I create a new map. It won't let me save yours as a "My ride", or share it with myself, or email it to myself, or export it.

All I can do is view it.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:54 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I am logged in. There is no "Save" function at all, unless I create a new map. It won't let me save yours as a "My ride", or share it with myself, or email it to myself, or export it.

All I can do is view it.
Okay, I think I have the answer. Once you open it, down in the left corner of the screen will be a box that says "ROADS". Click on that and then say "add to my ride" After you do that it is yours and you can then modify it or save as a gpx file. Let me know if this works for you.

The following 2 users liked this post by FXDXTSport:
tomve (09-16-2017), tphillips (09-18-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 02:17 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Default Sweet

Had to show you guys what my daughter made for me

Attached Thumbnails 48 States and DC - 16 Days-20170916_000916-large-.jpg  
Old 09-16-2017, 09:39 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Okay, I think I have the answer. Once you open it, down in the left corner of the screen will be a box that says "ROADS". Click on that and then say "add to my ride" After you do that it is yours and you can then modify it or save as a gpx file. Let me know if this works for you.
It worked! You're a genius!!

Thanks again!

Old 09-16-2017, 05:35 PM
tomve
Tourer
Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Worked for me too. I have modify the route for my start & finish locations.

The following users liked this post:
tphillips (09-18-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 05:55 PM
Papa G
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 312 Likes on 302 Posts

Awesome shirt! Thanks again for ALL of your sharing! It is as close as some of us will ever get!

The following users liked this post:
FXDXTSport (09-16-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 04:14 PM
Midnight Blue Rider
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribed. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more.

Quick Reply: 48 States and DC - 16 Days