Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Our annual trip ruined by Irma

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 07:59 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,250 Likes on 6,010 Posts
Default Our annual trip ruined by Irma

My buddy and I take an annual trip , usually earlier in the season than September. We planned to leave Michigan and travel to Gettysburg, then Camp Lejeune, NC to see my buddy's son in the Marines. Then ride down the Skyway and Blue Ridge Parkway to Pinehurst, NC to visit my brother, then a leisurely ride home. My riding partner had a chance to see his son several times during the late summer, so we struck that out. Then Irma rears her ugly head. We started Saturday Sept 9. We made it to Gettysburg and spent Sunday and Monday touring various areas, memorials, museums, etc. Great rides and good weather. Decided Sunday to cancel our ride to see my brother due to the weather. They had rain, and that wouldn't do us well, so decided to head to Bowling Green KY to visit Corvette museum. Tuesday morning we head down 81 to 64 to ride across.... got down to Staunton, VA and had helluva vibration in the front. My buddy Bob was leading and did not see me pull off. I called his cell and left message. I could not see anything right away....so I waited. Bob noticed I wasn't behind so he pulled off and waited a few. Then check his phone, got my message and came back. In the meantime I found there was a Harley dealer nearby. Bob came back and we were talking about finding the dealer and heading there. Then a Virginia State Trooper came up, told me he saw me on the side and came back to check. He was a fellow Harley rider and knew the dealership and said they were good people. He offered to lead us there....and along the way a homeless woman was at a street corner and he gave her a bag of chips, and a few kind works. Kudos to that Trooper. He got us to Shenandoah Harley without me losing a front wheel. We check in the lot and found the right front wheel bearing shot. They checked and no parts. They offered to take us to a local motel and pick us up, and would overnight bearings in. So they took it in to check for any other damage. Came back and said they found a new wheel install kit with bearings they robbed! Two and a half hours later and $200 (even got a Veterans discount!), we're back on the road. The service writer, mechanic and people there could not have been nicer. I had an excellent experience there for having something crappy happen! Kudos to Shenandoah Harley Davidson! Outstanding.
Got down just west of Charleston and spent the night. News/weather wasn't looking good, but we soldiered on. Stopped for lunch and checked weather and decided too great of risk for storms in Bowling Green area, so we decided to head north. Did I mention I twisted my back and aggravated some muscles, so my back was killing me too. Head north up to 75 and back to Lansing. Got home about 7pm last night. Really disappointed we did not get to do what we wanted. Trip cut short. Back is killing me (sitting on an ice pack now) and missed out on a few things we wanted to do. But in all had a great trip with a good friend. I'll see my brother another trip. We'll make better plans next year!!! But had great experience with Virginia State Trooper and Shenandoah HD. Got rained on (which is SOP on our trips it seems!) and no other issues. We will make Pinehurst, Skyway Drive, and Blue Ridge Parkway yet!!!

The following users liked this post:
5wheels (09-17-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 11:45 PM
tomve
Tourer
Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Sorry about your plan change. But, sounds like you had a great trip and experience anyway. Anytime you're on a road trip is a great time, regardless of plan changes.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:58 AM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

Always have a plan B and C.....

Hope your feeling better.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:44 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Sounds like you made out pretty well though. Trip was far from a disaster. Sometimes goofy stuff makes for a very memorable trip

Old 09-18-2017, 01:10 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,501 Likes on 1,608 Posts

I've been riding since '69 and I can tell you that some of the most memorable trips involve bad weather, mechanical issues (minor) accidents, animal encounters or sometimes just bad luck!

All of the other trips (in time) tend to blend together.

Just a suggestion for your trip next year.
If you're going to do the Skyline Drive ride, we make the first night Somerset, PA (there's H-D dealership there) and just a few miles out of town is the Flight 93 Memorial.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:13 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,250 Likes on 6,010 Posts

The trip wasn't actually trashed.... just cut shorter than we wanted. Between my back, the weather, and bike issues, we still had a decent ride. I like the Somerset, PA suggestion.... we'll definitely consider that next trip down.
And we never have set plans, and we don't have a plan b or plan c. We always figure what we would like, and everything is subject to change. That's why we have maps and cell phones!!!
Back is slowly feeling better.... still heat, ice, and rest. Think I found the electrical gremlin in my right rear turn signal....looks like the tribar took a dump on the one terminal for the turn/brake light. Have another on order from Custom Dynamics and should be here today.
I just wish we could have had the other 2-3 days to ride!!!