Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado, Grand Canyon and Utah in May

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:16 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,014 Likes on 2,605 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
Since you will be in Durango, don't forget to stop in at Mesa Verde NP and see the ruins the drive is pretty good to into the park..BY THE WAY, .did your exact trip two years ago but 3 weeks later...hail on MT Evans/Pike Peek and snow in the Colorado passes hot as hell in monument valley....need to bring alll of your seasons wear.
+++99 on that being a GREAT road in Meas Verde NP. Did it last month, Ranger told me it would take about an hour to get to the top of the park for our tour (recommend tour as well). I pull out of Visitors Center and a small bus is in front of me. Well apparently he works there and the bus was empty, he was hauling ***. Well I am not going to be left behind by a BUS, away we go scrapping floor boards going up the mountain!!! We did it in 30 minutes.

Coming down, yellow Mustang rental car in front, same issue gotta keep up with the bumble bee!!! Same thing 30 minutes down with a huge smile on my face. Have fun.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:23 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,346 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Originally Posted by tt_ksu
Thanks all. I was wrong on my dates. Will leave May 21st a week earlier and get back Memorial Day weekend. I plan on cold and rain, especially in Colorado in the afternoon. I'll cross my fingers on no snow and will modify my trip depending. I think the biggest chances will be on the way out going through Ouray and on the way back through RMNP (If the road is even open).
I've been shopping heated jacket liner and gloves since they would probably be worth it on this trip.
Two years ago I flew to Tulsa mid April and bought my 14 Limited. Rode home through Amarillo, Santa Fe, Pagosa Springs, Durango, Ouray, And Grand Junction. Great ride and beautiful weather. The next week it was snowing heavy. Find a good weather app and pay attention to the storm tracks. I hope you have a great trip.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:37 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

I have to/through to Colorado in June and July the last four years in a row. There was still plenty of snow at higher elevations. I would not recommend riding Colorado that early unless you leave yourself a lot of time in the event you have to turn around and take a different route. IIRC, even the Million Dollar Highway near or at Silverton was shut down last year in May due to snow. Not saying not doable, just give yourself plenty of time for changes on the fly.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:25 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks again. I am planning for snow, if it's in the forecast I can reroute through southern Colorado, skipping the mountains to get to Cortez and then Arizona.
I'll cross my fingers that I can ride the million dollar hwy again though. One of my favorite rides.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:21 AM
biglew55
Road Captain

Received 435 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey 1450
I hope your Utah route includes hwy 95 from Blanding to Hanksville, hwy 24 to Torrey and 12s to Bryce Canyon. These are my favorite roads in Utah. Then, Zion NP and the N rim of the Grand Canyon are just a few miles south. Have a safe trip!
We did this route in 2016, and I can't emphasize just how cool it was! Put it in your itinerary, even if you have to drop the rest of your ride!

https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=1...ult&refresh=no

Last edited by biglew55; 11-02-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:39 PM
Mike flies
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I rode through NM, AZ, UT, and CO this year in late May and froze my butt off. 30 MPH crosswinds in NM. It snowed at the North Rim. Cold rain at Zion. Heavy snow at Bryce Canyon. Decent weather at Arches. It snowed a couple feet over the high passes in CO and I had to go due east out of Boulder due to cold and snow. If you have the option wait a month, if it must be late May then good luck. My recommendations are a full face helmet and heated gear if you have to go in May.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:41 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,409 Likes on 2,961 Posts

I rode to Pagosa Springs via Hwy 550 and Arizona’s 89A. In late May it’s hot down on the deck. Comfortable at one-four thousand.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Flyin'Amber
Cruiser

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

I ride over to the parks around Moab every so often. This is my favorite route.

If you have the time, be sure to ride through CO Nat'l Monument while in Grand Junction. It's another fantastic ride!

In Moab, check out the other parks apart from Arches. I really like Deadhorse Point for the ride there and the awesome views!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Moab...39.0638705!3e0

Old 11-12-2017, 02:47 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

We did this in 2013. Weather was perfect. I would agree that if you can I would save the Mountains of Colorado to the end of your trip you will be better off. We rode Million Dollar HWY the Friday before Memorial day. One thing to keep in mind. Every year the Saturday before Memorial day there is a bicycle race to beat the train from Durango to Silverton. We were headed towards home that Saturday. I'm told the Highway is shut down for this event. Just something to keep I'm mind////ride safe! Mike

Old 11-12-2017, 03:19 PM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Road that route too. Thought we were riding in desert and the floor dropped out.

Originally Posted by Flyin'Amber
I ride over to the parks around Moab every so often. This is my favorite route.

If you have the time, be sure to ride through CO Nat'l Monument while in Grand Junction. It's another fantastic ride!

In Moab, check out the other parks apart from Arches. I really like Deadhorse Point for the ride there and the awesome views!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Moab...39.0638705!3e0

Quick Reply: Colorado, Grand Canyon and Utah in May