Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado, Grand Canyon and Utah in May

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 06:36 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Colorado, Grand Canyon and Utah in May

Hi all,
I'm putting a rough plan together for a trip next year and wanted anyones advice on weather. I usually prefer cooler temps to hot, so figured this might be a better time to go through northern Arizona and Utah. Tentative date to leave would be May 28th of next year. I have 9 days planned, this includes an extra day to rest or if I have any problems with the bike. Will be about 3300 miles over those 8-9 days.
I'll be riding a 2017 RGS with canvas lowers when it's cold, plus a bag on a luggage rack. I'm trying to go in between Mother's Day and Memorial Day so I don't miss family time. June is always out because of Father's Day and that is when I have to do reviews for all of my employees at work.

I live in KC and plan on riding straight through to Colorado Springs the first day. Then I will ride over to Ouray and the Million Dollar Hway into Durango. Then to Four Corners, Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon. Then to Kingman on Route 66, Hoover Dam and into Zion NP. Will hit the sourthern Utah NP's and up to Arches and then to Steamboat Springs. I'll run through Estes Park, Rocky Mountain NP and then back across Kansas on I-70 through Denver.

I'm a little worried about snow in Co, but can reroute through southern Colorado or northern New Mexico if there is snow on the way there. Not sure o the way back, I guess I could run south from Utah and go east that way.
Thoughts? The time works the best for my schedule, plus I would hopefully avoid tourist season.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:05 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

you'll want cold weather gear for sure but it will be getting warm by the time you get to Kingman and Zion so make sure you have some lighter gear as well . sounds like a fantastic trip !

The following users liked this post:
tt_ksu (10-13-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Waterman1
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I would head for Arizona first and finish with Colorado. Just a few days difference can be huge in weather. We are planning on being in Ouray June 3 for a few days and the risk of snow just about drops to nil in a weeks time. It can still be cold.

tt_ksu (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 01:14 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Avoid higher elevations as there will be snow and lots of it and expect most that trip to be cold still over 4000 ft. Have good rain gear also you will need it.

tt_ksu (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 07:16 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer

Thanks all. I was wrong on my dates. Will leave May 21st a week earlier and get back Memorial Day weekend. I plan on cold and rain, especially in Colorado in the afternoon. I'll cross my fingers on no snow and will modify my trip depending. I think the biggest chances will be on the way out going through Ouray and on the way back through RMNP (If the road is even open).
I've been shopping heated jacket liner and gloves since they would probably be worth it on this trip.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:26 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

And you can skip 4 corners. Too much to see in Az., Ut. and Co. to waste a good bit of time going to 4 corners.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:29 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
And you can skip 4 corners. Too much to see in Az., Ut. and Co. to waste a good bit of time going to 4 corners.
I kind of figured that, but it's only a few miles out of the way on my way through monument valley.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:00 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Since you will be in Durango, don't forget to stop in at Mesa Verde NP and see the ruins the drive is pretty good to into the park..BY THE WAY, .did your exact trip two years ago but 3 weeks later...hail on MT Evans/Pike Peek and snow in the Colorado passes hot as hell in monument valley....need to bring alll of your seasons wear.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:09 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I hope your Utah route includes hwy 95 from Blanding to Hanksville, hwy 24 to Torrey and 12s to Bryce Canyon. These are my favorite roads in Utah. Then, Zion NP and the N rim of the Grand Canyon are just a few miles south. Have a safe trip!

biglew55 (11-02-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 05:03 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

It sounds like a fantastic ride. Going a week earlier is definitely going to increase your chance of snow in the mountains. You should almost bank on it. Ouray is at nearly 8,000 feet. It's probably imperative that you hit your southern destinations early in the ride and save the mountain passes for the end of the ride.

Here's a route that I think is basically what you've outlined:

https://rideplanner.harley-davidson....1&locale=en_US

And here's a different route hitting Durango and Ouray after Arches:

https://rideplanner.harley-davidson....2&locale=en_US

The second route doesn't include the ride between Blanding and Hanksville. You could modify it to include that road, but it would add quite a bit of time. It might depend on where your priorities are and how much time you have.

Good luck. Have fun. Post pictures of the ride.

Last edited by AtticusFinch; 10-25-2017 at 05:05 PM. Reason: HDF didn't like the ******* link.

Quick Reply: Colorado, Grand Canyon and Utah in May