Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Advice Sought: Boston to Baltimore Traffic Memorial Day Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 03:27 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
If you gotta go thru NYC, your second route is likely the best of a lot of bad routes. I suggest you get a phone app called WAZE, gives you real time traffic and will re-direct you to the best route. If you are going to be playing around major cities, I will call it mandatory.

I drive into NYC everyday, the app is always running and re-directing me as needed.
If we were to go to Liberty State Park in NJ (instead of trying to go into Manhattan) are we just as screwed, or is there an alternative route from there to Manchester that would work for us?

Old 03-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

New York City on a Sunday morning(early) is usually a breeze and I think it would be especially good Memorial Day weekend. Everybody is usually at their destination by then. If you have time ride in to Manhattan, the streets are usually not busy at that time.
BTW I left a 'quiz' for you over on the 'Where have you been on your Harley' thread.

Last edited by Joe Mc; 03-07-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:53 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior

What do you guys think of the Garden State Parkway, as opposed to I-287? Here's a route I've been working on:

Garden State Parkway Route:

Old 03-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Joe Mc
Banned

I would come up I-81 to Scranton and pick up I-84 east. Nice scenery and no traffic or 'urban drivers'

Old 03-07-2018, 05:22 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

The only time Baltimore to Boston is bearable is between 12AM and 4 AM. How about this? Consider the Cape May-Lewes Ferry (www.cmlf.com). Washington area to Annapolis to Lewes to the Garden State Parkway to the NY Thruway (or I-95, take your pick) and on to Boston your route of choice.

The Ferry is a nice break, they see Bikes all the time, and the Parkway, although a toll road, is a nice easy trip and you'll be traveling against the traffic. Lady ShorelasHD and I commute regularly between the Jersey Shore and Florida, and although the Ferry doesn't save any time, it surely saves aggravation and traffic. Ride Safe!

Last edited by shorelasHD; 03-07-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: oooops, typo
Old 03-07-2018, 06:12 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Joe Mc
I would come up I-81 to Scranton and pick up I-84 east. Nice scenery and no traffic or 'urban drivers'
Remember I have to get into Delaware and New Jersey. Would your proposed route get me to those two states?

Old 03-07-2018, 06:36 PM
Joe Mc
Banned

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
Remember I have to get into Delaware and New Jersey. Would your proposed route get me to those two states?
No it would not.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:29 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Default Statue of Liberty Side Trip

Alright fellas. I know this isn't the best route to save time, but I would really like to take my daughter to see the Statue of Liberty. To accommodate that, I'm thinking that we ride a little further on our Day 4. We can do that without adding a lot of ride time by skipping the Tail of the Dragon. We would end that day at the Holiday Inn Express in Bordentown/Trenton, NJ.

This (or something like it) would be our route for Day 5.

I'm thinking get up early and get to Liberty State Park. We'll rest there until the first ferry run of the morning, at 8:30 a.m. We'll take a couple of hours to see the Statute of Liberty and then be heading out of the parking lot around 10:30.

Do you have any suggestions on my proposed route from Liberty State Park into Connecticut and over to Rhode Island? I've thought about just putting the Rhode Island stop into Waze and letting it take me there the way it thinks is quickest at the time. I expect, however, that such a route will keep me on I-95 all the way to I-395.

Thoughts?

Old 04-24-2018, 05:52 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,021 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Looks good, one suggestion.

After Liberty Park (see if you can buy tickets in advance, reservations etc) I would bypass the George Washington Bridge and I-95 in the Bronx (Cross Bronx). Just keep heading north and cut across on the Tappan Zee Bridge (I-287). Probably adds about 5 miles but should be far more pleasant then the Cross Bronx.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:49 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior

Got it. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Advice Sought: Boston to Baltimore Traffic Memorial Day Weekend