Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Advice Sought: Boston to Baltimore Traffic Memorial Day Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 10:23 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Question Advice Sought: Boston to Baltimore Traffic Memorial Day Weekend

I am planning a 48/10 ride for this May. I'm thinking that our biggest traffic challenges will be between Baltimore and Boston, so I'd like to hit that stretch on a Saturday or Sunday. The two options we are looking at would put us there either the Saturday or Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, or the previous weekend.

I think it works out better for our schedules if we can rider over the Memorial Day weekend, but I'm wondering how much worse the traffic would be that weekend. Anybody familiar with the traffic in that stretch?

As a side question, I'm guessing that the traffic would be worse the Friday and Monday of Memorial weekend as well. Our likely Friday stretch would be from Atlanta (early start) to Baltimore (late arrival). Monday would be from Erie, PA to Waterloo, IA. Any thoughts on the traffic in those areas during Memorial Day weekend?

Old 01-29-2018, 12:12 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Traffic between there is pretty much bad during normal times and it will be worse on that weekend. Friday and Monday would certainly be worse.

There are many people who like to head to the shore for the weekend and I-95 is how those who live in Delaware get to the NJ shore.

Also, judging by your coming up the coast from Atlanta expect traffic for the 20 or so miles south of Washington DC to be pretty bad as well.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:45 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior

This is the basic route we'll travel through the most populous part of the country. Am I correct in thinking it's best to hit the Baltimore to Boston stretch on a Saturday, or would a weekday be just as good (or better)?

Thanks for your input.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:13 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,020 Likes on 2,608 Posts

Going around NYC, take I-95 to I-287 to I-87 to I-84 into Connecticut. That will give you a wide berth of NYC. For Boston Stay on I-84 to I-90 to I-495 which should take you to Kittery or there abouts. Also gives you a fair berth around Boston.

Kittery and the coast are going to be a possible issue on Memorial Day weekend. I might think differently about that stop and try and stay away from the beach. But I get it, you are trying to get your wheels in Maine.

Your route West thru NH and VT are very nice but not good for making miles. No good East-west roads in those two states, you may be better off heading back down south to Mass, but maybe then you miss VT. All about time vs miles, which I am sure you know. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:14 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Best time would be overnight.

Baltimore north will be bad as I stated. You will be crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge with all the traffic heading to NJ from DE as I stated previously. That backs up for 3-5 miles (guess) in high traffic times

About midway up NJ traffic gets heavy again and stays that way until you are past NYC.

It has been a while since I have ridden I-95 in CT. On normal weekends there are slow spots. I think you'd have worse travel on Memorial Day weekend for the same reason as heading north out of Baltimore - vacationers headed to the shore and they all use I-95 to get to their beach of choice.

I'd suggest staying aware from the George Washington Bridge which is I-95 as it has had a backup every time I have ridden across it for the past 10 or so years. Consider taking the Tappan Zee bridge which is 287. That will get you around NYC but you will still have the issue of I-95 in CT. 287 to I-87 to I-84 into Connecticut would be better as suggested by Architect

Also, considering giving yourself a cushion for that stretch of the route. If you can build it early in your route by traveling further the first few days that would be best

Old 01-29-2018, 04:12 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Architect
Going around NYC, take I-95 to I-287 to I-87 to I-84 into Connecticut. That will give you a wide berth of NYC. For Boston Stay on I-84 to I-90 to I-495 which should take you to Kittery or there abouts. Also gives you a fair berth around Boston.

Kittery and the coast are going to be a possible issue on Memorial Day weekend. I might think differently about that stop and try and stay away from the beach. But I get it, you are trying to get your wheels in Maine.

Your route West thru NH and VT are very nice but not good for making miles. No good East-west roads in those two states, you may be better off heading back down south to Mass, but maybe then you miss VT. All about time vs miles, which I am sure you know. Good luck.
If I stay on I-84 all the way to I-90, I think miss Rhode Island, don't I?

Here's a route that I think tracks your instructions, fairly closely, with a dip into Rhode Island

This route, supposedly saves about an hour:

But if I'm understanding you correctly, you still think it's better to take a wider berth around NYC, right?

As for the northern part, you're correct that the shorter route to Ohio would be to drop back down to Massachusetts, but as you guessed, I would then miss Vermont. The route through Vermont is quite pretty and (according to Google Maps) only adds about 1/2 hour.

I definitely agree with the advice to give some cushion in this area. That is the plan. The ride from Baltimore to Kittery is "only" about 500 miles, which is half what we plan to average the first two days.

Last edited by AtticusFinch; 01-29-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:28 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

For me, I would take the first route with the "dip" into RI. I-95 from south of NYC to New Haven is a nightmare. Even if you miss traffic you will swear they never paved the road. Plus you are taking the George Washington Bridge to the Cross Bronx, one of the worst pieces of asphalt ever to be called a road. Avoid at all costs. 100 miles extra would be worth it, seriously. One hour is a gift.

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (01-30-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 07:53 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior

I appreciate the tips. Thank you. Last time we went into Manhattan and the trip across Connecticut was as you describe. Maybe worth it for the experience of riding in Manhattan, but not sure I want to repeat it.

If someone in the group insists on NYC, what route do you suggest heading out of there?

Old 01-29-2018, 07:58 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Seems to me you just want miles on your odometer........then. Sleep during the day and travel at night time, way less traffic.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:48 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

If you gotta go thru NYC, your second route is likely the best of a lot of bad routes. I suggest you get a phone app called WAZE, gives you real time traffic and will re-direct you to the best route. If you are going to be playing around major cities, I will call it mandatory.

I drive into NYC everyday, the app is always running and re-directing me as needed.

The following users liked this post:
AtticusFinch (01-30-2018)

Quick Reply: Advice Sought: Boston to Baltimore Traffic Memorial Day Weekend