Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sleeping Bag recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:55 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
I hunt in a fly in camp in the middle of Idaho in Oct-Nov. Cold, snow.

I switched to a modern fiber filled mummy bag several years ago from a quality down bag. It packs as small, is just a few ounces heavier and I do not have to worry about it being damp. I use a light weight fleece bag liner. It makes the coldest nights feel warm and toasty.

I also went with a thicker foam pad. At first, as being older I just need more padding, but I immediately noticed I was warmer at night when it was 20F.

Fit of a mummy bag is important. I am average and my down bag is a standard. When I went to get a new bag, and ended up with one of the new synthetics, I bought a long version. It also had a slightly larger mummy foot area. Wow, what a difference for someone who tosses and turns before falling soundly asleep.

I think rather than recommend the brand and model I purchased, research and jump into them. REI was an excellent source, but I ended up purchasing my bag elsewhere as it was a brand they did not sell. Theirs may have been as good, but it was not offered in a long. The fleece liner is tiny, yet adds so much. The zipper on the fleece feels fragile, but has lasted for years of hard sleeping. The zipper is much stronger than its small size would have you believe. The pad is not tiny, but I need 3" to keep my bones off the ground and it has made a huge difference when the ground is frozen or the tent is on top of the snow.
How do you keep the fleece liner from bunching up when you get in and out of the bag a couple of times per night?

Old 02-09-2018, 09:09 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
How do you keep the fleece liner from bunching up when you get in and out of the bag a couple of times per night?
I leave the liner unzipped. The unzipped side away from the main bag zipper. So it is easy when I unzip the main bag, to simply lift the fleece flap open and bring my legs up a little, run outside a piddle, and get back in. Pull to fleece flap over and zip up the main bag.

I only zip up the liner about 2 feet.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 02-09-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:45 PM
sbarron
Road Master
Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Studlintsean

You must be a fellow backpacker. Cheers.
Indeed I am.... Cheers

to the OP... when I'm on the bike camping, I take an Exped Downmat 9 along... a bit more bulky and heavy than a backpacking mat, but TOASTY AND COMFORTABLE (R value 8).

Old 02-09-2018, 03:51 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

My sleep system. Small foldable cot, air mattress to keep the cold air coming up from the bottom, one of my sleeping bags.... very comfy and easy on the hips.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:57 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,849 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by sbarron
....when I'm on the bike camping, I take an Exped Downmat 9 along... a bit more bulky and heavy than a backpacking mat, but TOASTY AND COMFORTABLE (R value 8).

And that's no doubt because you're from Alaska, because you might hunt, and because you understand cold. Amirite?

I too have a Downmat 9 pad and can testify it is tops in its category for warm sleeping comfort.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:15 PM
sbarron
Road Master
Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
And that's no doubt because you're from Alaska, because you might hunt, and because you understand cold. Amirite?

I too have a Downmat 9 pad and can testify it is tops in its category for warm sleeping comfort.
No such thing as bad weather, just bad gear!

Old 02-09-2018, 04:32 PM
glider11
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
My sleep system. Small foldable cot, air mattress to keep the cold air coming up from the bottom, one of my sleeping bags.... very comfy and easy on the hips.

Sorry not trying to hijack this thread.....How big is your cot when it is packed up?

Thanks

Old 02-09-2018, 04:43 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by glider11
Sorry not trying to hijack this thread.....How big is your cot when it is packed up?

Thanks
About an 18” x 6” stuff sack. It’s a Thermarest unit.

The following users liked this post:
glider11 (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 09:29 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2

Rocky, do you know the model name of that Therm-a-Rest cot, I’d like to look for one. Thanks.

Last edited by AtticusFinch; 02-10-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:45 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,849 Likes on 900 Posts

That cot is called a LuxuryLite (by Thermarest). I've had one for 10 years and it works perfectly.

The following 2 users liked this post by StoneTrekker:
AtticusFinch (02-12-2018), CanadianRocky (02-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Sleeping Bag recommendations