Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sleeping Bag recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 10:29 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Sleeping Bag recommendations

I want to get a 20 degree or lower down sleeping bag that is good for bike camping... IOW it packs reeeeely small (or at least among the smallest that's available). Anyone have any thoughts?

TIA

C#

Old 02-06-2018, 11:32 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,084 Likes on 8,913 Posts

...Bring money.... The smaller it packs down to, the lighter it is, the warmer it is rated at.... the more expensive it will be.

I use a Marmot Nitrogen... rated to 30f, about a pound and a half and stuffs down to small stuff sack ...... but a Marmot helium is rated at 15f, and is about $100 more than the Nitrogen, but it is bigger and heavier.

How I stay warm on cold nights is I wear a base layer top and bottom (which I use on cold riding days), socks & a toque. If it is really cold, I have a light weight wool blanket I put INSIDE the sleeping bag on top of me. You don’t want to put the blanket on top of the sleeping bag as it will push down on the down insulation loosing its effect. I also have a down hiking jacket, I use as a camp jacket and under my leather coat if it’s a cold day, and will put it over my shoulders inside the bag.

I hate being cold when I am sleeping ..... Or when I am riding.... or skiing....

Old 02-06-2018, 11:56 AM
sbarron
Road Master
Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

Good advice and good gear^^^

I currently have several Z-Packs bags for warmer temps... probably among the smallest and lightest bags on the market, and a couple of much-colder-rated Feathered Friends bags as well (probably the highest quality I've ever seen). Again, bring your wallet.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:40 PM
glider11
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been motorcycle camping with a down sea to summit bag for several years now. I absolutely love it. I believe it is rated for 32 degrees. It packs down to the size of a coffee can. I also have a thermal liner that will bring the rating down 10-15 degrees.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:46 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Warm bottles in the bag help.

compression or vacum storage bags can benefit packing your bag small. Just do not store them that way

Old 02-06-2018, 09:55 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by glider11
I have been motorcycle camping with a down sea to summit bag for several years now. I absolutely love it. I believe it is rated for 32 degrees. It packs down to the size of a coffee can. I also have a thermal liner that will bring the rating down 10-15 degrees.
I have a 40 degree bag now... it's not enough in the mountains... I try to sleep in a hammock with a rain fly so I don't have the ground under me. I like the looks of the Marmots but haven't used one ever so I am trying to short circuit an expensive education.

I am pretty sure that I am going with a down filled one... mummy style... get in it, sit down on the hammock, swing into place and pray for no bears.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:30 PM
glider11
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
I have a 40 degree bag now... it's not enough in the mountains... I try to sleep in a hammock with a rain fly so I don't have the ground under me. I like the looks of the Marmots but haven't used one ever so I am trying to short circuit an expensive education.

I am pretty sure that I am going with a down filled one... mummy style... get in it, sit down on the hammock, swing into place and pray for no bears.
That seems to be the hot new craze. I have thought about a set up like that as well I just like to have a tent to change, and "shower" in.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:12 PM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

Get a backpacking bag.
REI is a great resource.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:54 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,752 Likes on 2,317 Posts

I think a mummy bag is going to be best, keeping more of your own "body heat" closer to you, but otherwise, I don't have a preference. I still have my mummy bag that got stuffed in my goods when I PCSed back to the states from Korea. It's supposed to be rated to -40f, but I haven't tried it that cold, and it doesn't pack down too small (I think it could fit in a couple large coffee cans stacked). I might also consider packing one of those "reflective" blankets inside of it (those can pack down to a little bigger than a half dozen credit cards). However, lately, perhaps because I'm getting older, I prefer to stay in a room, with heat and AC, as needed, and a king sized bed.

The following users liked this post:
MajorKG (02-18-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 04:23 PM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior
Received 897 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by sbarron
Good advice and good gear^^^

I currently have several Z-Packs bags for warmer temps... probably among the smallest and lightest bags on the market, and a couple of much-colder-rated Feathered Friends bags as well (probably the highest quality I've ever seen). Again, bring your wallet.

You must be a fellow backpacker. Cheers.

I currently have an Enlightened Equipment quilt which packs down very small but the best in the market for a quality 20 degree sleeping bag is the Western Mountaineering Alpinelite (I own one so I am a bit biased but many would probably agree with my statement). This will run you $5-600.

Dont underestimate what what you are sleeping on. I use a Neoair All Season inflatable pad for winter. You want a pad with an R-Value of ~5 for winter (20*).

Quick Reply: Sleeping Bag recommendations