Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Must-Have Tools for Touring

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 12:55 PM
PoiDog
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 47 Posts

Open up and noticed a few things not previously mentioned... sunscreen and TP. I may get a few chuckles about the sunscreen, but I've already dealt with the Big-C and don't want to go through that again.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:03 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Originally Posted by guido4198
I love the "Cell phone and credit card" responses that usually follow this kind of thread.
Those folks must not get out much.
Yep ... I've only been in 46 of the 50 states ... call me a rookie too if it makes you feel more superior ... What can't get fixed with the phone and or credit card ? I should state that I've made my living as an ASE mechanic for mos of my life .

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (04-16-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 11:37 PM
50pannmore
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Small air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter tire slime tire plugs and a good set a tools plus most important two tie Downs and a long piece of rope ,fyi The shift linkage on touring bikes always fall apart Another thing that's always a good idea to carry kickstand return Spring

Old 04-15-2018, 09:27 PM
ajnigli
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 53 Posts

I carry the slime tire compressor and slime though I have tubes so not sure the slime is useful, a portable battery jumper, spare FOB battery, leatherman, Allen wrenches specific to the bike, stubby screw driver with bits specific to the bike, air shock pump, electrical tape, zip ties, fuses, mini vise grip, a few wrenches specific to the bike, microfiber rag, tire pressure gauge, two koozies and I believe a blade. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

One thing I read on this forum is that any tool you carry should be a tool that will actually work for the desired repair when stranded. In our garages we have tools and supplies but on the road, though you have a wrench, will that wrench fit in those tight spaces and such? It got me to re-evaluate the tools I carry and test to see if they will actually do what I want them to in a pinch.

Last edited by ajnigli; 04-15-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:06 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Yep ... I've only been in 46 of the 50 states ... call me a rookie too if it makes you feel more superior ... What can't get fixed with the phone and or credit card ? I should state that I've made my living as an ASE mechanic for mos of my life .
I think they are the most important tools.

However if a rider is one who gets off the beaten path and finds there are no cell towers in the area having a good set of tools helps even if the rider has no idea how to use them as someone who does may stop and not have theirs with them.

I carry a fair sized set of tools that can do most things one would expect happen on a long trip. During the 2015 and 2017 Iron Butt Rallies I added to it to be able to do almost anything. That came in handy when I lost my charging system in AZ and ended up having to replace my stator in a friends garage overnight on July 3/4 using the tools I had with me. The only thing I was missing was a 4 ft piece of pipe to break loose the nut holding my rotor in place (compensator nut for non Sporties) and the 1 3/8 socket which I had put down when packing as I had a brand new stator and did not think I'd have to replace it.

How did my cell phone help? I was able to call my buddy and make arrangements to get to his house and have him pick up the new stator, it allowed me to call a friend who is the parts manager for one of my local HD dealers and have him track down where all of the stators and regulators were in AZ so I could get them. Without my cell phone I would have been SOL and relegated to using a ton of quarters in pay phones (if you can find one) or racking up a huge bill using a phone in a hotel room

Last edited by cacomly; 04-16-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:49 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,501 Likes on 1,608 Posts

I was going back through this thread and the thought came to me about my first trip to Sturgis for the 49th in 1989.

Even then I couldn't believe how many bikes (and bikers) were sitting on the side of the road, working on bikes or loading bikes into trailers.

The following year, we went again and it was like a difference between daylight and dark!

I don't know if more people had newer bikes or if perhaps they had taken the time to make sure their bikes were "roadworthy" or what but there was (or at least I thought) a very visible difference in the number of bikes sitting beside the road.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:42 AM
dwLost
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I packed in tools for Alaska in 09. Along with a HOG membership. Never used any of it but it was a small kit that didn't take up much room.

Road Repair Tools: Harley Davidson (SAE)

TOOLS:
Socket Set 3/8 (6pt) drive: ¼ - 7/8
6” extension
Spark plug socket 5/8
3/8 drive to ¼, Reducer (for smaller ¼ inch sockets)
3/8 Universal
3/8 drive Hex sockets, set 7
3/8 drive Torx sockets, set 8
Wrenches: 3/8 – ¾ (Gear Wrench)
+10mm combination wrench (battery)
Screwdriver, ¼ bit type (w/small Torx)
10” Adjustable wrench (for larger then 7/8 sockets)
Small hex key set: knife type, Ekland
Small Vice-Grip
Long Nose pliers with side cutter

Air gauge
Lock-Tite, Small Red
DC Air Pump
Tubeless tire patch plugs
Fuel Siphon hose & Container
Flashlight
Motorcycle Jumper cables, Yuasa

PARTS:
Spark plugs
Fuses, small type, 3 each: 10A, 15A, 20A
Fuse, Main, 1 each: LARGE 40A
Bulbs: Tail & Head Lamp
Electrical tape
6’ wire
Zip Ties
Rags
50’ Nylon Rope – possible towing
Belt repair/Spare (never had one go, got pretty tore up in Canada one time but drove 6k more miles with that bad belt)
Clutch cable repair kit
Duct Tape

Everything listed above will fit inside the Military Canvas/Nylon tool bag and will take up little room in your saddle bag.

If these tools aren't enough use your HOG membership!

NOW FOR MY FINAL THOUGHTS ABOUT TOOLS FOR TOURING:
1: KEEP YOUR HOG MEMBERSHIP CURRENT.
2: I'VE NEVER TOURED WITH A BIKE OLDER THAT 10 YEARS OLD.
3: I HAVE STOPPED CARRYING THESE TOOLS AROUND OTHER THAN THE CHEAP HARLEY FACTORY CLOTH TOOL KIT. (oh, and the Yuasa jumper cables, I keep leaving my ignition on...)

NOTE:
THAT'S WHY I RIDE A HARLEY - IT'S RELIABLE! (and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a HD dealer)

Last edited by dwLost; 04-21-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:34 PM
dwLost
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I was going back through this thread and the thought came to me about my first trip to Sturgis for the 49th in 1989.

Even then I couldn't believe how many bikes (and bikers) were sitting on the side of the road, working on bikes or loading bikes into trailers.

The following year, we went again and it was like a difference between daylight and dark!

I don't know if more people had newer bikes or if perhaps they had taken the time to make sure their bikes were "roadworthy" or what but there was (or at least I thought) a very visible difference in the number of bikes sitting beside the road.
Just remembering that in 1987, what the 4th year of EVO production. Maybe in 89 they were still riding mostly AMF stuff. The Evolution motor was like 500% more reliable. My 79 FLH was always dropping parts along the side of he road, including mufflers and saddle bags and a welded support bracket here and there. Not to mention the shovel always marked it's spot with a few drops of oil from the chain oiler. ba' hahaha!

Last edited by dwLost; 04-21-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:28 PM
donmontalvo
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
Now, if you get remote, like I do, a really good tool is a Delorme InReach Satelite device. They can be charged on your bike, and you can use your Cell phone to text for help. I never used mine for an emergency, but did test it when I had no Cell service by texting people. They are not cheap, and there is a monthly service fee. But it could save your ***. Instead of abandoning your bike, you could get someone to call HOG for you, HOG texts you, and then by texting they sort out where you are, and who to dispatch to come fetch.
Just bought the Garmin InReach Explorer+ after deciding to get it over the mini version (maps just in case).

I was convinced by a couple motorcycle buddies who swear by it, after each of them were left stranded...once...never again.

I got the Recreation annual plan, since I plan to carry it with me all the time, whether riding, driving, etc.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:57 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

Originally Posted by PoiDog

Open up and noticed a few things not previously mentioned... sunscreen and TP. I may get a few chuckles about the sunscreen, but I've already dealt with the Big-C and don't want to go through that again.
You picture has given me valuable idea thst I never thought about for the bike, the toilet paper...that is genius and I'll be adding a partial roll to my arsenal. I carry sunscreen too and i never get sunburned but I do make it a point to laugh at everyone who laughed at me the day before

Quick Reply: Must-Have Tools for Touring