Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

EagleRider Road Glide rental - which GPS to use?! HD Built-in vs TomTom.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 07:17 AM
Marijn Willems
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EagleRider Road Glide rental - which GPS to use?! HD Built-in vs TomTom.

Hi all!

Next month I'm doing a road trip in the Southwest with a friend.
We are (roughly) driving from LA to Joshua Tree, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Fran and back down the PCH to LA.

We have rented two HD Road Glides from Eaglerider LA. They told use it has the built in H-D Navigation system.

Myself I own a TomTom Rider 400 moto gps which I use on my streetbob back here in Europe. I have also downloaded the USA map on my TomTom GPS.

I was wondering what you advice would be? Is the HD nav good enough and do I leave my TomTom home or would you advise to use the TomTom instead?

Never used the HD nav system before...

Thanks for you advice!

Marijn
Belgium

Old 04-10-2018, 08:04 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

I've always used my phone and google maps even while I was in Europe. Maps are always up to date and it always includes traffic and re-routes.

The following users liked this post:
Marijn Willems (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 08:22 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Always have a back-up system.
A back-up GPS, Paper maps, phone or whatever.
If one method fails then your back-up keeps you going.

The following 2 users liked this post by im:
Marijn Willems (04-10-2018), Rocker NH (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 08:29 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

The H-D navigation built into the BoomAudio system is adequate. I find it takes some getting used to when switching from another system that I am more familiar with. One of my peeves with the H-D system is the last second notifications for turns. ["Turn right at that intersection you just passed" :-)] The one thing the H-D system will not help you with is traffic. As a backup, you might want to consider an app on your phone such as Waze.

ETA: BTW, check with the rental place if they are going to offer helmets with the appropriate speakers and wiring. I rented a TriGlide in South Dakota, and while they offered helmets with the rental, they were merely half helmets with no wiring. If all you are concerned about is navigation, the lack of wiring will not be a problem because you can route notifications to the fairing speakers; but if you want to use the intercom feature with a passenger or Bluetooth paired with your phone, you will need the mic which is part of the hardwired system.

Last edited by sailmotion; 04-10-2018 at 08:37 AM. Reason: add
Old 04-10-2018, 08:32 AM
Marijn Willems
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have bought the Butler motorcycle maps of CA, NV, AZ & UT.

Mainly checking what the best main navigation product is.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:08 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

How complex will your routes be? If complex I would stay with what you are familiar with at least until you figure out the HD GPS. If you are simply entering a destination and tapping on "Go" the HD system should be fine.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,032 Likes on 1,859 Posts

My wife and I just did a trip through Nevada-Arizona-California--1st day I tried the navigation on the Ultra limited I rented: basically sucked to what I,m used to[ our vehicles at home and smartphone]--bring your system you're comfortable with, will make the trip less stressful -------Sailmotion is right, the time it tells you to turn is to late---kinda sucks---after the 1st day we never had a problem.The trip you have planned shows to me that you may only need to use it on the way out of LA and the way back in -----the rest of the trip[which I,ve been on more than once] is pretty simple by just reading a map the night before---Sounds like an awesome adventure---enjoy
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...-cal-trip.html

Last edited by Rocker NH; 04-10-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:36 AM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,166 Likes on 2,938 Posts

I have found the boom nav to be fine for my trips. I carefully plan out my route on Ride Planner and upload to the boom. There is a learning curve and a good youtube vid on using ride planner.

If you are more comfortable with the Tom tom, unless it bluetooths to the radio, it would be a stand alone unit. The Boom system does not have an Auxiliary input to run audio of the tom tom through the radio.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:42 AM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

I like my phone with Google Maps better but you may have a spotty connection in some of the areas you're going. I'd probably just use the HD gps. I rented a bike in Vegas a couple times and the HD gps got me to where I was going.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:38 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

How complicated is this trip... can’t you just note the roads... how bad can the bike nav be...it should be adequate enough to get you through a city then when on the highway, just ride... to me nav should only be used as a last resort.

Quick Reply: EagleRider Road Glide rental - which GPS to use?! HD Built-in vs TomTom.