Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Strange question- what pants to wear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 AM
splashback
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange question- what pants to wear?

I am planning my first road trip this summer- from Chicago to Myrtle Beach. This ride will consist of many highway miles and riding through the mountains at elevation.
What pants do you suggest for such a ride?

Old 04-16-2018, 09:41 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Depending on where my trip is taking me, I’ll wear the cliché jeans and chaps with rainproof bibs for backup or else just wear my BMW riding pants (preferred for cooler/wetter weather)

Old 04-16-2018, 09:53 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

I guess it depends on what your concerns are: Color coordination, water proof, warmth, road rash ...

In winter I wear Gerbing's heated pants. In warmer months I will be wearing the Klim riding pants I just purchased. Since they are Goretex I don't need to stop and put on rain gear should it start to rain

Old 04-16-2018, 10:58 AM
weezer_nd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chaps, or leather overpants.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 386 Likes on 242 Posts

Jeans most of the time. When it gets cooler I'll add a pair of tight Under Armour pants under them. Colder than that I have a pair of lined chaps that work wonders. In the summer I opt for a lighter pair of jeans, or my Duluth Trading Co. Firehose pants. Tough as nails and surprisingly light. I also have Carhartt pants that I like to ride in. Basically, something offering good protection and some breathability. Rain gear is over any of it, if needed.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:40 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

I always just wear jeans. Regardless of where my trip takes me, I’ll always remember to bring my leather chaps, and put them on anytime it seems the temperature is going to fall below 60. Elevations can get cold quicker than you think. Says the guy who didn’t bring his chaps or heavy jacket this past weekend trip to Death Valley...and nearly froze my nutz off.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:54 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I wear sliders brand, a kevlar butt and knees lined jean or chino.
In cooler weather, kevlar jeans and cold weather, leather overpants.
In warm or hot weather, the tan chino kevlar pants. It is much cooler, lighter color and breaths better than denim.

What I like about Sliders is their fit on me, and that the kevlar is lined. With my Draggin Jeans, I needed to wear shorts to keep the kevlar away from my skin, especially on warm days. If you chose kevlar jeans, read the reviews regarding sizing. For example, if you choose to try Sliders, buy one size smaller than your normal jeans. They are cut large. Draggin was closer to normal jean sizing.
Rain pants pull over both. For long trips, April-Sept I don't take the leather pants, the rain pants offer enough wind protection to make the kevlar jeans warm enough.
They are available with knee armor, I have worn them both ways, now no armor, just riding for the slide with kevlar.

For me, one pair, kevlar jeans and rain pants. For backup, chino kevlar pants. I'd leave the leather overpants and chaps at home if you bring rain gear.

Good leather jacket with adequate venting and a rain jacket and your good to go.

added:
Maureen wears Cycle Gear Bilt jeans, but she is still looking for a pair of great looking women's kevlar jeans. She is not so worried about the kevlar as she figures she'll just stay on top of me until we stop if we ever go down. She wears jeans that look good... Safety is not her major concern. I did not want to sound like an ad for one brand over another, what my point was that all day, all week fit is important. Prior to the kevlar days, I used to like Cortech Brazilian leather lined jeans, because they fit, looked good and were comfortable to ride all day. Kevlar killed that category so they are no longer available.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 04-16-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:11 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Every trip that I've ever taken, including Sturgis, I wore jeans.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:15 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 809 Posts

Prison Blues Jeans. Made on the inside for life on the outside!

http://www.prisonblues.net/

Old 04-16-2018, 01:23 PM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

who wears pants )

Quick Reply: Strange question- what pants to wear?