Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2018 Adventure - Central Florida to the Canadian Rockies

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:29 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2018 Adventure - Central Florida to the Canadian Rockies

I get one really epic ride a year. We're three weeks away from the start of a whole new journey - and I can't wait to ride. For those new to our crazy riding habit, a bit of history is in order.
  • In 2012, we embraced a challenge to ride all 48 contiguous states. We nailed it, riding the Southwest in '12, the Northeast in '13, and the Northwest in '14. We stopped to get a quick pic just over the Kentucky state line as we covered the 48th and final state. And then we said, "Now what?"
  • In 2015, we revisited the southwestern United States, which happens to be my favorite part of the country so far.
  • In '16, we thought we'd stay close to home, exploring the Ozarks, and then decided we needed more adventure and went north to Pennsylvania to visit the Harley-Davidson factory.
  • Last year, our destination was eastern Canada and the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia.
And that brings us to the 2018 adventure. This year, we're going big - just under 10,000 miles - riding to the Canadian Rockies to explore the Columbia Icefields Parkway that runs north from Banff, Alberta up to Jasper. The pictures we've seen are simply stunning. Along the way, we'll ride Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain Park, spend a day-and-a-half in Yellowstone National Park, and then ride through Lolo Pass. From there, we'll tackle some great roads on our way to Seattle, then head north into British Columbia. After several days exploring this region of western Canada, we'll end up in Banff, where we'll spend three days on the Icefields Parkway - one night in Banff, then a night in Calgary as we pick up our wives, a night in Jasper, and then another night in Banff. Finally starting home, we'll visit Glacier National Park and ride Going to the Sun Road. Finally, as we start the long ride home, we'll visit the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore National Monument, and Badlands National Park.

Whew! That makes me tired just typing it all!! But if God grants favor in the way of safety and absence of serious mechanical challenges, I believe this ride will be the most epic of all. Did I say I can't wait? We're weeks away from blastoff and I'm already packed!

Here are a few things about our trips:
  • We don't camp. The closest we come to "roughing it" is staying in a hotel that is not part of a national chain. We stay in Hampon Inns most nights, but we'll find an IHG or something in the Marriott family if we can't locate a Hilton property. We'll grab a Best Western reservation when necessary - and only stay in a local mom-and-pop hotel if necessary. No camping for us! We like a hot shower, a clean bed, a hot (and free) breakfast, and, in a perfect world, a hotel staff that understands we like to clean our bikes up a bit.
  • We eat pretty well. Breakfast in the hotel... a break at lunch... a nice dinner that lets us enjoy the depth of our friendships as much as we enjoy the food. We try to avoid national franchises, choosing instead to research the best local fare in the towns we frequent. We don't camp and we don't cook over an open fire. Nope! That's fine for many - but not for us.
  • We ride hard. Pretty much every day is a 12-hour (or more) day. We're typically in the saddle by 7 AM, and are often rolling into our hotel close to 7 PM. We don't always ride for 12 hours, though. Our day in Yellowstone, for example, is less than 300 miles - but we're off of the bikes a lot, celebrating the wonder of God's creation. Conversely, our longest day this year is 820 miles. No, that's not a typo. We maximize our time away, then push hard when it's time to head for home.
  • We visit a lot of national parks. Each park is a treasure of creation and history that has been preserved by our government in a wonderfully wise move. More on that soapbox of mine later...
  • Our trips are more about relationship than riding. I'll address this more later - but suffice it to say that my life and riding experience is enhanced in an indescribable way by the friendship of our little band of brothers.
That's enough for now. I'll be blogging throughout the trip, posting more details and more pics than I can post here - but I'll try to keep some updates here. Get the full story at and follow along with us if you want to at http://jonandannette.blogspot.com.

C'mon June 14. I'm ready to ride!

Old 05-20-2018, 07:57 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

While around Lolo and heading West, go to Lewiston and head south through Hells Canyon, then towards Seattle. Bucket list ride.

...ok.... BC ..... map this out.

Vancouver, Pemberton, Lillooet, Merrit, Kelowna, Vernon, Farquier, Nakusp, Nelson, over the Kootenay Pass to Creston, Kootenay Lake Road to Kaslo, , New Denver, Nakusp, Revelstoke, Golden, Banff. No disappointments. All bucket list rides. Even the slab from Merrit to Kelowna is spectacular.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:01 PM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 890 Posts

Sounds like my kind of traveling. Ride safe, and enjoy the miles.

Subscribed.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:30 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
While around Lolo and heading West, go to Lewiston and head south through Hells Canyon, then towards Seattle. Bucket list ride.

...ok.... BC ..... map this out.

Vancouver, Pemberton, Lillooet, Merrit, Kelowna, Vernon, Farquier, Nakusp, Nelson, over the Kootenay Pass to Creston, Kootenay Lake Road to Kaslo, , New Denver, Nakusp, Revelstoke, Golden, Banff. No disappointments. All bucket list rides. Even the slab from Merrit to Kelowna is spectacular.
Thanks for the suggestions. I going to take a look at the Hell's Canyon option. We road to the dam in 2014. It was awesome! Definitely worth a repeat ride - but that's already a full day. I'll have to see if I what I would need to cut and see if I can make it to Seattle on time. Man - rocks on the road when I was coming around blind curves... that got my attention a few times!

So I'm going to attach some pics of our route from Vancouver through BC. Right now I have us going up to Kamloops instead of riding to Kelowna. Take a look a see if you think I should adjust the plan to go down to Kelowna. And thanks again for the input. My first time in that part of North America - so ideas help a lot.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:55 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Yours works ..... Those are good roads. You have slab from Hope to Kamloops, but it is a good ride.

Both routes work well.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:06 AM
mcride
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a great trip. My kind of trip. I just got back from a Pennsylvania to Washington State trip via New Mexico. 9,300 miles of pure heaven. I say that with tongue in cheek as if it could go wrong it did. It was still worth every second. Have fun and enjoy every moment of your adventure.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:08 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master

I bought a new-to-me bike for this yea's trip.

I LOVED our '13 Road Glide Ultra. We spent more money than I should have getting her set up just like we wanted. There were no heavy-duty mods like custom paint, extended bags, etc., but we chromed the front end, added chrome wheels and rotors, a painted inner, heated grips, Daymakers, LED lighting everywhere else, stage 1 with pipes I really liked, upgraded audio... It was a nice bike. Problem was I had just barely under 60K on the clock, had the tranny rebuilt last year, and while the bike was well-maintained, I was worried about reliability while facing a 9,800- mile ride. So we had been in the market for something new for a while.

2018 was our target year. I was hoping HD would produce a CVO Road Glide Ultra in '17 so I could try to pick up a leftover when the 18s came out or grab a barely-ridden previously owned bike. The Motor Company voted no on a '17 FLTRUSE, so we watched the most recent dealer show online, hoping for a 2018 CVO Road Glide Ultra. Once again, we were disappointed. So we waited, thought about what to do, prayed about it, and decided to shop for a pre-owned '15 or '16 FLTRUSE. The story of how we ended up with our new-to-me bike is too long to share here. We purchased this one in March, and I'm pleased. Here she is:

When I first saw this color - Carbon Dust and Autumn Sunset (more orange than red or brown), I said, "absolutely not". I didn't love it. Then I went to Bike Week over in Daytona, saw a few bikes just like this one (more on that later), and it grew on me. I asked my friends, and they liked it. I asked my wife and kids, and they liked it. So I began to consider grabbing this one, and decided to go for it.

The bike had just over 10,000 miles on it. That was new enough for me. It had not been cared for like I care for my bikes, so I spent some time cleaning up the nooks and crannies and buffing out some surface scratches - but it's in great shape now. I still have a scratch on the front fender hasn't buffed out, and there are some surface scratches on the tour pack lid because I've been too lazy to take the luggage rack off to clean them up, but I'm happy with where we are.

So why did I decide to go CVO? I mean, these bikes are really pricey. And I know I run the risk of pulling into a hotel for the evening to find another bike pretty much exactly like mine. This was never the case with my '13 Road Glide. It was set up the way I wanted it... and no one was going to have one exactly the same. In fact, I seldom saw another Midnight Pearl FLTRU. I liked this. So... why? CVOs are expensive. That's why I went low-mileage pre-owned. I wanted someone else to take the big depreciation hit, and that worked for me. And then I weighed how much I spent on mods on my '13 against what I was going to get in the way of resale. We took a look at resale / trade value on a CVO, and decided to go that route. We'll see how it works out for us.

The bike is pretty much stock CVO. It has Vance and Hines Power Duals, Monster Rounds, and a V&H Fuelpak FP3. I like playing with the Fuelpak, but Alyshia Sargent, the service manager at my dealership, Stormy Hill Harley-Davidson in Clermont, Florida, really wants me to consider another fuel management / tuning system. I'm thinking about it because she rocks and I trust her. I just have to stop spending money for a while.

Here are my observations after the first 1,500 miles or so of riding the 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra:
  • This 110 with the power duals runs cooler than the 103 on my '13. I like that.
  • I'm a little concerned about fuel economy. We'll be in some remote places this year, so I've had to plan fuel stops carefully.
  • The Hammock seat is nice. Comfortable. Annette really loves the comfort and the fact that the seat is heated. And I like for her to be happy. I think I'm sitting a little higher, and I'm only 5'9", so I'm still getting used to that.
  • This bike has adjustable passenger floorboards, and I need to adjust them. I feel like they are too far forward, and they bother me when we're riding two-up. I'll try to fix that before we leave.
  • The Infotainment is new to me. I like it. I especially like not having to upgrade the audio again. I'm going to stick with the CVO-stock Stage II Boom Audio System. It's fine for me.
  • I like having Sirius / XM on my bike radio, rather than on my Garmin GPS.
So that's the bike. I'm looking forward to getting her out and letting her run. I'll post my thoughts on how the bike is performing as we make our way west and north. And then there's this:

Just about everyone will look at all of these "tools"- or junk, to some - and say, "What in the world is all of that?" I get that. There are some things to know about me and about our process that might help this to make sense.

First - I am a planner. I literally spend a year planing our trips. We decide toward the end of each year's adventure where we are going the next year. And I go to work. I know full well that some like to head off in a given direction and wait to see where the road will take them. I know others right turn-bu-turn directions on their windshield with a grease pencil and start riding. That's not me.
  • I use Garmin BaseCamp and plan the trip with painstaking detail. I plan daily start times, lunch stops, gas stops when necessary, and determine where we are stopping for the night.
  • I have a Zumo 665, and will continue to use my stand-alone GPS rather than the Infotainment GPS system for navigation. One of our other riders imports our route into the Harley system each day, and we compare notes on how the different GPS systems are working. That's the HD GPS mount, by the way. I installed it myself and it wasn't difficult at all.
  • And in case you're wondering... we book our hotels in advance due to the size of the group. It's a little risky, but so far, booking in advance has worked for us.
Next - I stay connected. My phone is always accessible to me. I sometimes want to stay in touch with work. I ALWAYS want to stay in touch with my family. I also use my phone to control our bike-to-bike communication systems and my GoPro Hero5.

Third - I hydrate. We ride long, hard days. We ride in the summer, and though we're headed far north and to elevation, we start out in the Deep South where it is hot and humid. I was in search of a great cupholder for years. I finally found something that works for me with this Ciro3D product. I pair this with a Yeti cup that keeps my water cold for hours and I am good to go!

I am a musician and I enjoy listening to music as I ride. I've activated Sirius-XM for the long miles this ride will require. I also have playlists loaded onto a USB drive that is connected to the Infotainment system, and can stream music from my phone.

Finally, I am safety conscious. I stopped at a gas station a couple of years ago as I was starting one of these journeys. A couple of guys came over as I was filling up and were admiring my bike, then asked about "the little orange thing." When I explained what it was, he said, "You're wife knows where you are all the time? Aw, he** no!" I laughed. I don't mind my wife, family, and friends knowing where I am at all times. So the orange device on the right is a Spot Gen3 satellite tracker. If I drive off a mountain, I can be found. If we break down or have a crisis while in a remote location where there is no cell service, I can send an emergency message to friends and family, or I can send an SOS to law enforcement or rescue personnel. My family and friends can follow along, tracking our progress throughout the journey. And I use the tracking date to create a log of where we've been.

So try to excuse my junk. I mean... tools.

There are a few more things we use that you can't see in the pics above. The most significant of these are our Cardo PackTalk communicators. One of the reasons our laugh time is so great is we are talking almost constantly. We talk about life and work, family, kids (and now, grandkids). We talk about struggles we are facing. Some of the talk is really practical, like "I need gas" or "I need a restroom break". We discuss upcoming maneuvers- like, "We're turning right in 2 miles." We've found staying together in traffic is much easier when we can communicate what we are about to do. We discuss restaurant choices. And yes, we laugh. A lot. I know this won't work for many. Part of the fun of riding is solitude... quiet... nothing but the rumble of our exhaust and the sound of wind in our ears. But for us - we choose the banter that builds our friendships. To each his own, right?

I can only think of one more thing I use. I've found our Airhawk Motorcycle Seat Cushions, We've found these help us endure the long ride days with some added comfort. I'm not so sure how this is going to feel this year with the added seat height of the Hammock - but we'll find out soon.

More to come soon.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:46 PM
Papa G
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 312 Likes on 302 Posts

Very nice! Can’t wait to hear about this years adventure!

Old 06-08-2018, 06:39 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master

I cannot even imagine where I would be today were it not for that handful of friends
who have given me a heart full of joy. Let's face it, friends make life a lot more fun.
Charles Swindoll

I work in an environment in which I enjoy thousands of "relationships". I have 2,465 "friends" on Facebook. In an age in which casual and often superficial relationships have become the norm, I think we all long for deep, meaningful relationship with... friends. I think of the guys I ride with as a band of brothers. We have faith in Christ as a foundation of our relationship. We pray - not only for one another, but for our wives and families. We cry together. We'll do anything for one another without regard for ourselves. (That's what love is, by the way.) And we laugh. A lot. Hysterically, at times, until it becomes a bit challenging to ride as our eyes are filled with happy tears.
My hope for every one of my friends and acquaintances is that you would have a friend or two or three or more who are there for you - no matter what.

So what can I tell you about these guys? What makes for a special bond that seems so rare these days? I'm not sure I'm sure at all - but I think I'll take a run at articulating some things we've discovered... some things that we have developed naturally... without really trying.
  1. Longevity might have something to do with the depth of relationship we enjoy. I've know some of these guys for almost 30 years. We have history.
  2. There's no agenda driving our friendship. We aren't business associates. We aren't trying to get something from one another. In fact, it seems everyone is more about giving than getting. I think this results in a purity of relationship that is rare. We're just... friends.
  3. We have things in common. We're all on a faith journey that transcends any motorcycle journey. We understand priorities, and will always elevate family relationships above our own little "club". We share an appreciation for motorcycles and the open road. We're all just a little bit abnormal... a little bit crazy... and we kind of revel in our own brand of lunacy. I mean, these guys will look at a 820-mile day, smile, and say, "Let's go for it." Who does that?
  4. We understand that what one of us might not be able to do on our own... when facing challenges that might make us want to throw in the towel and head for the house... we can lock arms, encourage one another, press on, and see things through. This might be as simple as a missed turn on the Back of the Dragon that resulted in one friend being off course and ready to set sail for home. It might be encouraging one another off a mountain road in Yosemite when the night was blacker than any dark I've ever seen. Or it might be hearing the news of a medical diagnosis that shook us to our core. We've found that the most daunting challenges imaginable are manageable when we face those circumstances with... friends.
  5. It might be that we communicate often. Most of the time, our communication is via text - but that's the easiest way for us to all to be in the conversation. It's conversation that does not require an immediate response. Sometimes, it'll be hours before someone weighs in on a subject due to other things going on. But we always weigh in. Because the banter... the communication... keeps us in touch with other. The banter helps us to reinforce the understanding we have each developed about each other. Sometimes the interaction is silliness at the highest form. Sometimes the messages are about ride-planning updates. Or health or family updates. All of these are important. Perhaps most important is just staying in touch. I see examples of people drifting apart far too often. I see marriages fracture because of lack of communication. In the furious pace of my life, I've been accused of failing to communicate effectively. So I work overtime to stay in touch with those I care about in order to maintain relationships I value. By the way... there's a spiritual parallel here: We desire and sometimes take for granted a relationship with God. But we fail to communicate. Is it any wonder we often find ourselves disconnected from the One who formed us and the One who has our best interests at heart? "Pray without ceasing" (1 Thessalonians 5:17) is a puzzling concept until we condition ourselves to stay in tune with our God at all times... in every circumstance... when facing every challenge... when making every decision. And then there's the Bible. It is God's written communication with us. It is living and active, still speaking to members of the human race if we will just read and "listen". Okay... enough of that soapbox that is so central to who I am! Let's just consider communicating regularly with God, with our significant other, with our kids, our grandkids (woo hoo!!), and with friends.
  6. I'll add one more and then stop for now: Honesty and integrity characterize these men I consider a band of brothers. They are good men. They are honest men. They are upright in their relationships with family, with business associates, and with one another. All of this results in trust - and I trust these men with my life. I would even let one of them ride my motorcycle if I had to. (I think I would, anyway.) I've always taught my kids that they can tell the truth 99 times, lie to me once - and the one instance of poor judgement will serve to undermine trust. I am so glad I have never had a reason, even once, of questioning the character or integrity of these friends. I trust them - and that means a lot these days.
Finally, I will leave you with this quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson: The only way to have a friend is to be one. Perhaps Proverbs 18:24 served as a backdrop for Emerson's thinking... A man who has friends must himself be friendly, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. (New Kings James version of the Bible)

Whether you choose Emerson or the Bible as your guide in this, if you are longing for deep, meaningful relationships with friends, start by being a friend.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:47 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Default Day 0 (on the way to meet the rest of the guys)

** It takes too long to upload pics, so those will only be at

http://jonandannette.blogspot.com/20...first-day.html

I won't really start takings pictures until Sunday when we get to Rocky Mountain National Park, anyway.

START LOCATION: Winter Garden, FL
END LOCATION: Port Allen, LA
MILES TRAVELED: 710
TOTAL MILES TO DATE: 710
WEATHER SUMMARY: Oh, boy...

All through the day, I kept thinking to myself, "This isn't how I saw this day going."

I've ridden all 48 states and several Canadian provinces. We've ridden in all kinds of conditions - but I've never experienced a day quite like today.

I left home 50 minutes late. That really wasn't much of a surprise. I've been tired, so I went to bed last night knowing there were things left to do. And then I needed to take care of some things for a friend. No big deal.

I only had a half of a tank of gas, so I stopped to fill up before getting on my way. That's where the day got... interesting. The gas pump literally spewed gas everywhere. I cleaned that up, got on the bike to go, and it wouldn't start. I didn't know then, but it seems something is failing in the left switch housing. More on that later... Starting to get hot, I shed my mesh jacket and helmet, knocking off my sunglasses in the process. They landed on the passenger pillion, where I left them. Bad move. Because I forgot about them. When I got the bike started, I left the glasses there - and they are no more. When I realized it, I drove back to the station to search - losing more time - all to no avail. That was unsettling issue #1.

At my first real gas stop (not counting the stop to top the tank off before I left), my debit card was declined because we forgot to notify the bank we were traveling. A six-gallon tank and two gas stops within a couple of hours 200 miles apart will trigger a fraud alert every time. That was unsettling issue #2.

I rode to Tallahassee in partly-sunny 85-degree conditions, and then saw the rain coming. My first thought was to keep going to let what I thought might be a brief shower cool me off. I really believe the Lord prompted me to reconsider and suit up. I pulled over and put on the whole deal - rain jacket, pants, and boot covers. It's a good thing I did.

As I stated earlier, we've ridden in some interesting conditions. Never have I ridden through rain quite like this. I stayed on my ride plane schedule, riding through it until I reached DeFuniak Springs. The best word I know to describe what I experienced is torrential. I grabbed a quick $3.13 lunch, then pressed on.

Almost immediately upon leaving the gas-and-lunch stop, I began to experience difficulty with my cruise control. A stop at a rest area did not resolve the problem. I finally figured out that pulling in the clutch lever and releasing it would cause the cruise control to engage for anywhere from 15 seconds to 15 miles or so. So I was able to get some brief breaks for the right (throttle) hand. Needless to say, I was frustrated.

And then there was the weather. With the exception of some few-and-far-between breaks in the weather, I rode through rain all the way to Port Allen (just west of Baton Rouge)... some 450 miles. With no cruise control. Frustrated does not begin to adequately describe my day.

An Uber ride to WalMart produced some things I used to try to fix the bike and a $9.33 Subway meal. Returning to the hotel via another Uber, I tried to fix the bike, all to no avail.

So... the plan is altered. Instead of converging in Port Allen, I'll get up early and ride to a Harley-Davidson dealership in Alexandria, LA in hopes of diagnosing and repairing my bike. The thought of riding another 9,000 miles with no cruise control is not appealing at all.

I'll try to update tomorrow with a remedy or a plan of something.

As I wait on my wet clothes to dry, all I have is this... from the first chapter of the book of James in the Bible:

Count it all joy my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

That's all I have. But it's enough.

Until tomorrow...

Quick Reply: 2018 Adventure - Central Florida to the Canadian Rockies