Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis in June

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 08:28 AM
Seafus
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Sturgis in June

Just returned from a week in Sturgis. Been there during the rally, been there a week before the rally, but this year due to work schedule we went a couple months before.
Arguably, one of the best trips we've had out there yet. Granted it was pretty quiet, but perfect stable weather all week. We left on Saturday and made it too Windom Mn and stayed at a Red Carpet Inn. Yeah, the name pretty much gives it away, but it was clean and cheap. Duffy's was right down the road and they had pretty good grub and drink so that worked well.
The next day we bombed down I90 to Rapid City. Coming from Michigan, running I90 at 80-85mph is fun.....for about ten miles. Warm and Sunny, but windy AF!
We stayed in Rapid City a couple of days and rode the surrounding area. Stayed at both the Gateway Hotel and Foothills Inn. Both were equally as good, Gateway had a bar inside and Foothills had an outdoor pool with a gas station basically in the lot for beverages.
Rode into Sturgis, and put on some miles hitting all the typical rides in the area. Saw plenty of critters and got lots of sun. Spent the next couple days in Spearfish and stayed at the Holiday Inn. Probably the best stay we had. Rates were good this time of year and there was a bar/restaurant inside as well, which is always a plus.
We took 34 out of Sturgis when we left vs 90 and that is plenty of wide open nothing out there. Still a better ride and change of pace.
Once we hit Pierre, we stopped for dinner at Drifters on the river. Props to that place, best meal of the trip! We ran down the road an hour or so and bunked up at a Quality Inn.
The last night we stopped in Chippewa Falls and partied it up with the locals before heading back home.
To all those headed out, Enjoy and ride safe!
Attached are a few of the obligatory Sturgis pics we all seem to have.

The following 2 users liked this post by Seafus:
CaptainAwesome (06-17-2018), tunafisher729 (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 08:44 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,066 Likes on 615 Posts

Always awesome. Been there in June and enjoyed it greatly. SD is always windy AF!. Just the way the prairie goes. You really dodged the weather. We have just had some pretty good rain and storms roll across the state over the past 3-4 days. Being that close to a buffalo can be scary. Usually the big boys are mellow but those mommas in the spring can be unpredictable. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:41 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Love riding that area that time of year. Lot of big open space between here and there.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:59 AM
rnl_1200C
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

thanks for the post . Heading to Sturgis a week before the rally until the 5th. Hope to get some riding in before the crowds.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:10 AM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl_1200C
thanks for the post . Heading to Sturgis a week before the rally until the 5th. Hope to get some riding in before the crowds.
See you there 'rnl'. I'm staying at Katmandu...b.

The following users liked this post:
rnl_1200C (06-13-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 04:56 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Love it out there. You took some nice routes.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:18 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,066 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl_1200C
You won't be dodging the crowds all that much. The "rally" seems to start about a week early now. Used to start on Monday, We found the biggest party and largest crowd was actually the weekend leading up to the Monday. Then it steadily tapered off. They have even officially extended the dates and it officially starts on the Friday now.

Even with the crowds the riding is spectacular.

rnl_1200C (06-19-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 07:28 AM
Robb Liupo
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cprhed
You won't be dodging the crowds all that much. The "rally" seems to start about a week early now. Used to start on Monday, We found the biggest party and largest crowd was actually the weekend leading up to the Monday. Then it steadily tapered off. They have even officially extended the dates and it officially starts on the Friday now.

Even with the crowds the riding is spectacular.
Yes, that is really true, the weekend before the rally starts is the main event. I recently saw a chart showing attendance at the rally, it peaks on Tuesday and declines rapidly after that. Most people start to head back on Wednesday. The last weekend is pretty slow at most places. I remember years ago going to the old Full Throttle on the last Saturday of the rally, it was kind of sad, kind of like we were the last ones at the party and everyone else went home. Man, I miss the old Full Throttle. Part of the rally died when that place went up.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:07 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Nice post and great pics. I have attended during for the last 15 years. I hit the 65th,70th and 75th. I hope I am around and riding for the 80th as I will be 80.

I also do a week or so before and after many times. The riding is much better then. To me riding the Black Hills is the main reason to go. I have done all of the paved roads so I may take the Free Wheeler and do some of the gravel ones.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:39 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

I hear the gravel road from Rochford to Hill City is paved now----defenately ck it out this year---can't wait

lh4x4 (06-18-2018)

Quick Reply: Sturgis in June