Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tips and tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:50 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,757 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Just relax and enjoy the ride, 400 mi in a day will be a breeze.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:26 AM
Iron_Monger
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

More often than not: You'll get hot, you'll get cold, you'll get wet. Part of the experience. If that's a deal breaker, just take the car.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:43 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

If you are comfortable on the bike 400 miles should not be an issue. Make sure your rainsuit is in a location that is easy to quickly access in case you hit rain. For a 400 mile day I would break it up into 3-4 stops of 100-130 miles between stops, at each stop fill up with gas, hydrate and get a snack if you need it and spend a little time walking around stretching your legs.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:59 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

The one and is BIG EZ - is don't get behind the curve or you will continue to play catch up.
Early departure somewhere between 6AM and 8Am.
(Nort too early in the rurals in deer rush hour)
Run for two hour (100 miles) stop for gas coffee and a egg sandwich
Two more hours quick light lunch its is around noonish
This means you should have about 300 miles behind you by noon.

If you do it this way you will get an EZ 400 hundred in B4 5 PM.
Dont be screwing around in the dark looking for a place to stay on the surfaces street in a strange town (recipe for disaster)
Never stay or camp near a city you are going through as the next morning you will have to deal with rush hour going in.
Alway get to the other side first, - if a bigger town.
For the most part, i just avoid the big ones

Old 07-21-2018, 09:06 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,106 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Resturant food gets old quick. Pack a small cooler (I use a collapsible one) for sandwiches and fruit. If you are staying in a motel with a fridge/freezer get a small bottle of water that you can freeze for the cooler.

HOG membership with the the delux Unlimited miles & pickups. It’s not if you breakdown on a motorcycle, it’s when. It gets you and your bike to the closest HD dealership no matter how far away it is. Serious High Milers have a back up plan.

400 miles is a non-issue once you get your butt use to the seat. Just get off and smell the roses. Stay off The slab. I did 13,000miles in about 8 weeks last summer, it’s a blast.

Cover up to stay cool on hot days. Get a good long sleeved shirts and button it up. Wear a scarf. If it gets really hot put a wet tshirt under the shirt and a wet hankerchief under the scarf. It will be like AC on a car.

Pretty much what everything thing everyone else said.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:27 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,602 Likes on 5,171 Posts

Spare Key, HOG premium membership. Make sure you can alter or cancel reservations . If you are just going to ride and then figure it out as you go check early in the day or you may waste a lot of time finding a motel. Economy is going strong and finding a place is not as easy as it was few years back.
Take what you need but do not over load the bike. Get early start in the mornings. To Quote KingGlide549 " Never stay or camp near a city you are going through as the next morning you will have to deal with rush hour going in " If you do revert back to get early start.
Remember heading West you are riding into the sun latter in the day.
With an early start 400 miles a day is easy , but if you fail to get a good nights rest that 400 miles can get harder on a smaller bike.
Most important don't let issues drag you down enjoy the ride good and bad. Have a plan to get home should the worst happen and Bike does not make it. Have all the paper work in case you decide to trade the bike off en-route. Not a joke seen it happen a few times.

Last edited by smitty901; 07-21-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:34 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Coupla thoughts....

Stay hydrated. Pure water is the best.

B4 traveling to avoid lower back pain if u r not used to being in the saddle for extended times, then do the "plank". You can google it. Basically go do a push up. But instead of being on your hands pushing up, go to you elbows and just hold that position for as long as you can.

Surprisingly, you will not have to do it long or too many times to strengthen your lower back enough.

If when you ride you get shoulder pain, let me know. I can tell u how to rid yourself of that as well. It may not happen if u r only riding 400 miles.

Plan ahead if it rains, you want your rain gear easily accessible.

There is a lot more to be said but with everyone else's GOOD advice I am seeing and with the above, you are off to a good start.

Safety wise stay AWAKE. Always be scanning around you, play the WHAT IF game, always leave yourself an escape route (like when coming to a stop behind someone), etc...

Don't override your abilities.

Enjoy!!

BuzzCap7

Old 07-22-2018, 06:49 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Breaks. Gonna vote for frequent stretch stops again. Before you may feel you need them. About every hour, or what works for you. Some of the posts say that back at the start of this, then some guys say longer. All depends on how tense you are, comfort on your ride, and how fast you go. Once you get stiff and sore, you quit having fun.
And drink. I go for a break about every hour, 1st can be just stand, stretch walk around your bike get on and go again. Gas stop next hour. Even though my bike now will do 200+ miles on a tank. Get blood back in you butt, more drink and stretch. Back rest helps a lot

When I started long trips, used to hammer out what I could at the start. Shorter segments as the day went. Under a bridge waiting on rain to quit we were talking to a guy one day. After stories of Sturgis and Daytona I asked how he went that far. Breaks, Smoke em if you got em. Once you get tired and hurting, it ain't no fun.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:45 PM
hmnavy72
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I've stayed in Lowes and Home Depot display sheds after closing time after a long day on the road. Get a meal, pull the bike inside, keep an empty water bottle as a half bath and I'm 75 bucks richer in the morning when I roll out.

never thought of that! Good advice. Might have to try it out on the up coming trip...

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (07-23-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 06:40 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Sounds like you have gotten good advice. The getting started early and off the road early is a big one for me. I also abstain from all alcohol (no lunch beers) until I am at a destination and even when I arrive at my destination I keep it minimal.

Quick Reply: Tips and tricks?