Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Mackinac Bridge trip.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 01:09 PM
jcsjr321
Intermediate
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

You definitely should do the tunnel of trees. Take m119 just north of Petoskey right along the lake it is a great ride. Then stop at leggs inn in Levering kind of unique place to eat.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:13 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by cory464
do not miss the chance to see pictured rocks while you are up there, you will kick your self if you miss it. also sleeping bear dunes on the west coast. i definitely recommend hugging the west coast on the way up. saul st marie is the border. pretty cool little town to poke around in. i love it up there. some incredible scenery on highway 2 to munising.
Pictured Rocks is definitely worth the trip ... and you can take H-58 ( Michigan's version of he "Dragon" ) to get there ... Also, if you're looking for a economical place to stay I'll suggest the Clarke Motel ( Patty and Andy are true Biker friendly people ) and will make you feel more than welcome ... Their place is D E F I N I T E L Y worth the visit and I guarantee you'll talk about it with your friends for years to come ... They're just east of M-123 on M-28 on the north side of the road.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:25 PM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 529 Likes on 290 Posts

Schedule this year for Walk the Bridge on Labor Day has it closed from 6-noon, so you may want to check their website. As for your route I would skip 75 unless you’re pressed for time. Both M23 and M31/37 are better routes. If you’re going as far north as The Soo I’ll warn you now, the weather can change quickly in the Upper Peninsula. Cold weather gear as well as rain gear are a must.

The following users liked this post:
BigDawgQC (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 02:33 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by ppilotmike
I'm gonna throw this out there for a little humor. I got a ridding bud that is scared sh*tless of heights. When we go across the bridge they have a service where they ride his bike across the bridge and take him in a blacked out van across. Funny stuff for sure. His GF is actually an employee on the bridge, thats how they met.
Its a creepy bridge to cross. I grew up in NYC and bridges don't bother me. But the Mackinac Bridge sways, and has very low sides, so you don't feel as secure as you do on sturdier bridges like the Verrazano, or George Washington. I can understand how people who aren't used to bridges could be freaked out.

I'm sticking with my advice not to look down, unless you're a passenger. You should never look down anyway. That will be the exact moment some variant of Murphy's Law occurs in front of you.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:32 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 313 Likes on 173 Posts

The Bridge Walk is on Monday the 3rd. I should be over & gone by then.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (08-08-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 06:59 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Its a creepy bridge to cross. I grew up in NYC and bridges don't bother me. But the Mackinac Bridge sways, and has very low sides, so you don't feel as secure as you do on sturdier bridges like the Verrazano, or George Washington. I can understand how people who aren't used to bridges could be freaked out.

I'm sticking with my advice not to look down, unless you're a passenger. You should never look down anyway. That will be the exact moment some variant of Murphy's Law occurs in front of you.
Do you remember when the Williamsburg Bridge outer roadways were grates?? Riding over that at night coming home from wherever in Manhattan was a hoot, looking down and seeing nothing!!!

Old 08-09-2018, 03:49 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Just one more word of caution, the Rouge River Bridge (on I-75 as you enter the City of Detroit) is under construction with a detour that takes you off of the bridge and routes you around it on surface streets.
I haven't been that way for along time so I'm not sure if any (north or south bound lanes are in use or not.
If you're going this route, I'd suggest that you time it so you're not there during the morning/afternoon traffic rush.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:53 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Just one more word of caution, the Rouge River Bridge (on I-75 as you enter the City of Detroit) is under construction with a detour that takes you off of the bridge and routes you around it on surface streets.
I haven't been that way for along time so I'm not sure if any (north or south bound lanes are in use or not.
If you're going this route, I'd suggest that you time it so you're not there during the morning/afternoon traffic rush.
Use I-75 N until you get to US-23 N it will route you west of Detroit up through Ann Arbor and on up through Flint back on to I-75 N ... much better choice traffic wise !

Old 08-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Wingsfan
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Avoid 75 north from toledo Ohio to Flint!!!!. US23 is a better ride. Less chance of dying. I have lived MI my entire life, 75 is a Speedway and people do not watch for bikes. It is under construction in Toledo for the last 5 years and rogue river bridge is closed. The detour is 275N to 96W but it sucks. 23N to 75 is OK. No major construction right now. US127 up the middle of the state is not bad. West side is definitely the best to see but slower. I-75 is 75mph north of Bay City now. Also will take you over the Zilwaukee bridge.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:59 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I never made it that far east this summer, but need to get over that bridge. Looks fantastic.

Quick Reply: Mackinac Bridge trip.