Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Would like some help re: Nova Scotia & Newfoundland trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 09:39 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts
Default Would like some help re: Nova Scotia & Newfoundland trip

Around the first of each year Mary and I sit down and talk about what big trip we're going to do in the coming year.

This year we're planning on doing several "shorter" "big" trips, instead of one 40-50 day trip.

For one of them we're thinking we're going to have 8-9 days in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.

We've never been to either.

The only things we know we want to do is the ferry ride (Mary likes them) from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland, and see some icebergs, maybe up around Twillingate?

Anyone who's been, we'd love to hear what roads & sights are "must-do's" in the area.

Thanks!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-24-2019, 10:05 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

From Red Banks to the ferry terminal is 2100 miles one way...
Cabot Trail is best taken counter-clockwise; easier and safer to pull aside for views if the ocean is on your right. Lotsa beautiful little towns and awsome people throughout east coast Canada. Sydney Mines are an interesting tour. Quidi Vidi brewery by St John’s has some of the best beer I’ve ever tasted...I think the ice bergs peak May/June; there’s a site that tracks them...we used it when we were there last May. I tasted a chunk I chopped off one that washed ashore

Old 01-24-2019, 10:17 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by sharkey
From Red Banks to the ferry terminal is 2100 miles one way...
Cabot Trail is best taken counter-clockwise; easier and safer to pull aside for views if the ocean is on your right. Lotsa beautiful little towns and awsome people throughout east coast Canada. Sydney Mines are an interesting tour. Quidi Vidi brewery by St John’s has some of the best beer I’ve ever tasted...I think the ice bergs peak May/June; there’s a site that tracks them...we used it when we were there last May. I tasted a chunk I chopped off one that washed ashore
We're going to give ourselves 3 days to get to the Maine/Canada border, and 3 days to get back. That will leave us 8-9 days up in those parts.

Thanks for the tips!

Old 01-24-2019, 10:42 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Ahhh...well...
Some covered bridges in New Brunswick. You can take a quick look at Hopewell rocks or anything else (reversing falls) in that area that demonstrates the highest tides in the world, ride the bridge across to PEI, ride to the other end of PEI and ferry back to Nova Scotia (beautiful knife shop in Pictou), then carry on up Cape Breton to Newfoundland ferry. While in Newfoundland you should get screeched in...

Old 01-25-2019, 06:08 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,934 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Come to Long Island on your way north, I will buy you and Mary a beer. Then you can take the ferry from Orient Point to New London Connecticut. It will get you in the mood for boat rides. Cabot trail can be one day or four days, really exceptional piece of road. We also went to PEI for mussels, bridge on the way in, ferry to Caribou on the way to NS. Never went to Newfoundland, but on our list as well. Weather will be cool, and expect rain. Think Seattle weather, but when the sun comes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We home based for 4 days in Baddeck NS, we were actually there for a wedding at the hotel. Canadians will tell you, you must go see the Fort in Louisbourg, we did a day trip, it was cool.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:27 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Around the first of each year Mary and I sit down and talk about what big trip we're going to do in the coming year.

This year we're planning on doing several "shorter" "big" trips, instead of one 40-50 day trip.

For one of them we're thinking we're going to have 8-9 days in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.

We've never been to either.

The only things we know we want to do is the ferry ride (Mary likes them) from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland, and see some icebergs, maybe up around Twillingate?

Anyone who's been, we'd love to hear what roads & sights are "must-do's" in the area.

Thanks!
We've been to NS/Cape Breton 3 times over the years. You need minimum of 3 days for Halifax/Lunenburg/Bay of Fundy and 4 days for Cape Breton (Cabot Trail/Ft Loisburg/Inverness etc). Like someone said Baddeck is a lovely little town to stay in. Its a great trip and we'll be back in another 3 years.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:30 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,606 Posts

I've been thinking about a trip to NS, NL and PEI this summer also.
I went to NS in '80 but I didn't have enough time to see much so I'd like to do it "right" while I'm still able to do so.
The ferries can definitely save you a lot of riding miles but they can get expensive, especially if you want a cabin for the 16 hour (I think it's an overnight) ride from Sydney Mines, NS up to Argentia, NL. Info here: https://www.marineatlantic.ca/en/pla...l/ferry-rates/

As I remember, the ride from Bar Harbor, Maine up to NS was a fairly short run (and I assume that you will want to see Bar Harbor) but it adds a lot of riding time vs taking the ferry from Portland, Maine. Info here: http://nstravelguide.com/transport/f...errytoyarmouth

An alternative plan would be to ride up through Maine then head east to Saint John, New Brunswick then ferry over to the west coast at Digby, NS.

IF. I decide to go i will be sometime in July and I think I'd ferry from Portland, Maine to Yarmouth, NS since I've already been to Bar Harbor.
IF my wife decides to go she will probably fly into Halifax and we will tour from there and it's likely that she'll only want to do NS and PEI as she has limited vacation time, but we'll have to wait and see how this all works out for us.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:45 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

We've found its not any longer and much cheaper to drive/ride than to take the ferry from Portland unless you have a hankering to see Digby and then ride hours to Halifax. We prefer being in the Halifax/Dartmouth area with day trips out when in NS and then being central in Cape Breton with easy access to the trail.
Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
As I remember, the ride from Bar Harbor, Maine up to NS was a fairly short run (and I assume that you will want to see Bar Harbor) but it adds a lot of riding time vs taking the ferry from Portland, Maine. Info here: http://nstravelguide.com/transport/f...errytoyarmouth

An alternative plan would be to ride up through Maine then head east to Saint John, New Brunswick then ferry over to the west coast at Digby, NS.

IF. I decide to go i will be sometime in July and I think I'd ferry from Portland, Maine to Yarmouth, NS since I've already been to Bar Harbor.
IF my wife decides to go she will probably fly into Halifax and we will tour from there and it's likely that she'll only want to do NS and PEI as she has limited vacation time, but we'll have to wait and see how this all works out for us.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:43 AM
2011RoadKing
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother and I rode from Ohio to Nova Scotia and back in July 2015. Great ride but we only had 12 days, it wasn’t enough, always rushed and didn’t get to see all that we’d planned. Definitely check out cape Breton Highlands NP and the Cabot trail, but bring rain gear. One side of the cape was sunny and comfortable, the other side was raining and cold.

if you make it to Sydney NS there is a Harley/Honda shop to get a souvenir TShirt, also check out Daniels website cabottrailbiker.com. He also has some awesome patches and t shirts for sale at a burger joint on the Cabot trail 👍

depending on your chosen route, some of that northeast part of Maine can be a little barren, so fill up the tank and plan fuel accordingly. The Baileyville Big Stop (truck stop diner) where route 1 and route 9 meet near the Canadian border had decent food in 2015.....

if you hang around New Hampshire at all, definitely try to get Mt Washington in, a bit like a damn goat path at the top and if stuck in clouds it’s downright dangerous, but we did it and I’d do it again.

we love to stop at the small town diners and coffee shops for breakfast or lunch but we’re pretty social and hardly ever meet a stranger.
Im sure whatever you do you’ll enjoy that trip, northeast United States and these part of Canada are beautiful

Old 02-03-2019, 03:08 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by sharkey
Ahhh...well...
Some covered bridges in New Brunswick. You can take a quick look at Hopewell rocks or anything else (reversing falls) in that area that demonstrates the highest tides in the world, ride the bridge across to PEI, ride to the other end of PEI and ferry back to Nova Scotia (beautiful knife shop in Pictou), then carry on up Cape Breton to Newfoundland ferry. While in Newfoundland you should get screeched in...
Thank you for the tips....what does "While in Newfoundland you should get screeched in..." mean?

Originally Posted by Architect
Come to Long Island on your way north, I will buy you and Mary a beer. Then you can take the ferry from Orient Point to New London Connecticut. It will get you in the mood for boat rides. Cabot trail can be one day or four days, really exceptional piece of road. We also went to PEI for mussels, bridge on the way in, ferry to Caribou on the way to NS. Never went to Newfoundland, but on our list as well. Weather will be cool, and expect rain. Think Seattle weather, but when the sun comes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We home based for 4 days in Baddeck NS, we were actually there for a wedding at the hotel. Canadians will tell you, you must go see the Fort in Louisbourg, we did a day trip, it was cool.
Cool, thanks!

Originally Posted by kojak
We've been to NS/Cape Breton 3 times over the years. You need minimum of 3 days for Halifax/Lunenburg/Bay of Fundy and 4 days for Cape Breton (Cabot Trail/Ft Loisburg/Inverness etc). Like someone said Baddeck is a lovely little town to stay in. Its a great trip and we'll be back in another 3 years.
Yeah, we realize we are not going to be able to see everything we want in the short time we have there...but better to give it a go and see what we can. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I've been thinking about a trip to NS, NL and PEI this summer also.
I went to NS in '80 but I didn't have enough time to see much so I'd like to do it "right" while I'm still able to do so.
The ferries can definitely save you a lot of riding miles but they can get expensive, especially if you want a cabin for the 16 hour (I think it's an overnight) ride from Sydney Mines, NS up to Argentia, NL. Info here: https://www.marineatlantic.ca/en/pla...l/ferry-rates/

Originally Posted by kojak
We've found its not any longer and much cheaper to drive/ride than to take the ferry from Portland unless you have a hankering to see Digby and then ride hours to Halifax. We prefer being in the Halifax/Dartmouth area with day trips out when in NS and then being central in Cape Breton with easy access to the trail.
We were in Bay Harbor a few years back, definitely want to see it again.

Thanks for the tips!

Originally Posted by 2011RoadKing
My brother and I rode from Ohio to Nova Scotia and back in July 2015. Great ride but we only had 12 days, it wasn’t enough, always rushed and didn’t get to see all that we’d planned. Definitely check out cape Breton Highlands NP and the Cabot trail, but bring rain gear. One side of the cape was sunny and comfortable, the other side was raining and cold.

if you make it to Sydney NS there is a Harley/Honda shop to get a souvenir TShirt, also check out Daniels website cabottrailbiker.com. He also has some awesome patches and t shirts for sale at a burger joint on the Cabot trail 👍

depending on your chosen route, some of that northeast part of Maine can be a little barren, so fill up the tank and plan fuel accordingly. The Baileyville Big Stop (truck stop diner) where route 1 and route 9 meet near the Canadian border had decent food in 2015.....

if you hang around New Hampshire at all, definitely try to get Mt Washington in, a bit like a damn goat path at the top and if stuck in clouds it’s downright dangerous, but we did it and I’d do it again.

we love to stop at the small town diners and coffee shops for breakfast or lunch but we’re pretty social and hardly ever meet a stranger.
Im sure whatever you do you’ll enjoy that trip, northeast United States and these part of Canada are beautiful

Thank you for the tips!

Yeah, we rode up to Mt. Washington a few years back. I thoroughly enjoyed it, Mary was about as nervous as she's ever been...BUT, being the great riding partner she is, I never knew it til we were back down.

Quick Reply: Would like some help re: Nova Scotia & Newfoundland trip