Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Physical Maps vs. GPS

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 04:19 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

If I’m on a trip, paper. If I’m trying to find an address I’ll call and get directions.

The following users liked this post:
DGDeuce (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 04:56 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,316 Likes on 2,200 Posts

I like maps. If I'm planning a trip I'll even go on Google maps and check it out. Some times I'll have lots of it memorized. But, when on the road, it's paper.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:58 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,316 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
But often I will go off-Route just for the hell of it.
Just to make the GPS work?

Old 03-10-2019, 07:15 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Cruiser
For those of you using GPS, which one do you recommend?
I love love love the Garmin zumo 590 LM. (LM = lifetime map)

But if you are asking that question my friend, you must also ask what software we use to root ourselves.

Although there are several good ones out there like Harley’s own system and Hondas trip tracker, the one I finally stuck with is Garmin’s BaseCamp. There is a little bit of a learning curve there but it is the one that I stuck with.

Mountain Cruiser (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 09:31 AM
eglide_vt
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Paper maps for me. And if needed, I write the directions on the inside of my windshield with a grease pencil.

Weaselbeak (05-21-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 01:43 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I'm old fashioned so I've always relied on maps.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:56 PM
Speleo
Road Captain

Received 453 Likes on 179 Posts

I use a GPS for reference when I am traveling, getting a basic idea of where I am currently. Maps are quick for looking for alternate routs, or side trips. Maps are handy to spread out on a table where everyone can see it, instead of huddling around a screen. Good for a fire in an emergency too.

Worked with a "kid" who had never seen a map to use, and was convinced that a trip from Indianapolis to D.C. wasn't much because he could see it all on his GPS screen.

Speleo

Last edited by Speleo; 03-10-2019 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added
Old 03-10-2019, 02:06 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by eglide_vt
Paper maps for me. And if needed, I write the directions on the inside of my windshield with a grease pencil.
Paper maps here, too. No GPS...mostly cuz I'm to cheap to buy one. I print out detailed directions on pieces of paper about 3" square. Using rather cryptic notes I can get a lot of info on them. I print on both sides, then seal them back to back with a laminator or two pieces of clear, sticky shelf paper so they won't be ruined in the rain. Tape 'em to my gas cap lid and away I go. (If I get lost I use my cell phone and a map app to get me back on track.) When I get to the end of one side, I just pull it off, turn it over and tape it back down.

The following is an example of my short-hand and abbreviations for the directions I use. I highlight a new road I'm going to get on with red underlined text. Green text is for instructions at an intersection, etc. Blue is for distances...usually for short distances so I know to begin looking for the next route change right away. When I need to get on a new road in a town, I use a "/" between the town name and the road. That way I know to look for HW154 actually IN Redbud. RT means right turn, LT = left turn, T or Y means T intersection or a Y intersection, SS means Stop Sign, SL = traffic light.

HW 3 to Redbud/HW 154 E to HW 37 S (RT MON T)
37 S to Benton/HW 34 E (6 mi) to Hrsbrg/HW 13 E
HW 13 (56 in KY) to 3393 around Mrgnfld to 56
56 thru Poole/HW 370 (SL-strght) to HW 138 (T-LT)
138 to 2110 (T-RT) to HW 85 E (SS-LT-NS- 2 mi)

85 thru Cntrtwn to HW 69 E (strght-edge of town)

It means to take HW 3 to Redbud and take HW 154 east to HW37 south, which will be at a right turn at a T intersection in the "middle of nowhere," meaning it's in the boonies with no landmarks, so it might sneak up on me.
Ride HW37 to Benton and HW34 east about 6 miles to Harrisburg and HW 13 east.
HW 13 will turn into HW56 in Kentucky and when I come to HW3393 it'll take me off of HW56 and around Morganfield to HW56 again.
And so on...

You can come up with your own short-hand and abbreviations, but mine seems to works for me. I always have a second copy in my tourpack or pocket in case one blows away.

I have a good friend who rides with me, and he has the Harley GPS as well as a Garmin unit, but he doesn't use them. He prefers to have me lead so he can just follow me and enjoy the ride. There have been times when I have successfully got us quite lost. In fact, so lost that the signs were in another language, the plants were all foreign to me, and the now very unusual looking trees were full of feathery lizards trying to learn to fly, but his GPS has always guided us back into civilization.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:30 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,606 Posts

I'm not proud... I use an Atlas, GPS, cell phone app. and usually pick up a "state map" for local sight-seeing.
Seems like the information I need from my Atlas is DIRECTLY in the "crack" between two pages!

On my older ('13) GPS, many of the H-D dealer locations are either incorrect or the GPS directions are screwed up so I rely on either my HOG Handbook info or I use the app on my cell phone as it has much more up to date, accurate information.

For my overall "trip planning" I use Google Maps, my Atlas and I use the "Road Trip" section on this forum for tips on local info such as restaurants, motels, watering holes, etc., from those who live in a certain are, or have previously toured there.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:35 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,622 Likes on 5,178 Posts

I like the maps. You get the big picture. While looking at it you often find a route you may not have seen a reason to take.

The following 2 users liked this post by smitty901:
CanadianRocky (03-10-2019), road king Q (03-11-2019)

Quick Reply: Physical Maps vs. GPS