Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Physical Maps vs. GPS

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 02:49 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

On the eGlide I will use the HD thingy.... which I find to be only so-so..... in my truck I use my iPhone & Google Maps. Hit the voice prompt and say “Walmart”.. or whatever .... select the correct one and she talks you all the way there.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:12 PM
ajnigli
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 53 Posts

I use google maps to plan the trip but I write out all the directions and put it in a map holder and strap it to my leg since I can't use my tank bag with my RKC. Haven't found a good gps app that lets me pick my route. Google maps just gets me there in the quickest route which is not the route I am usually taking.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:31 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank the Real Biker
I have a good friend who rides with me, and he has the Harley GPS as well as a Garmin unit, but he doesn't use them. He prefers to have me lead so he can just follow me and enjoy the ride. ....
I read that and could hear my riding buddy from the 90s, I don't need a map, I just follow you.
And he did. Many trips together. and I got us lost a few times.

I used to buy cheaper maps or get the state issue type often free, fold them crazy ways so yes they came apart, but what I needed was on top.. I wore an army surplus flight suit with the pockets on top of the leg. Zipper and would hold my map for very quick access. Also had a ball compass pinned to my leg. GPS was not an option back then. I used a tank bag most of the time, but the leg option let me get the map quicker

Old 03-11-2019, 10:41 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

I start a trip with Butler Maps (the only places I travel now in USA) and use the Zumo for real-time point to point navigation. Try to find Rattlesnake Grade (Hwy 129 just out of Lewiston ID) without GPS...too many signs for a country boy; Zumo leads the way. Zumo has helped find many locally recommended routes and always lets me know what time I’ll arrive at my motel from where I am, thus I know how much time I can linger enroute

Old 03-11-2019, 10:51 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
I start a trip with Butler Maps (the only places I travel now in USA) and use the Zumo for real-time point to point navigation. Try to find Rattlesnake Grade (Hwy 129 just out of Lewiston ID) without GPS...too many signs for a country boy; Zumo leads the way. Zumo has helped find many locally recommended routes and always lets me know what time I’ll arrive at my motel from where I am, thus I know how much time I can linger enroute
I know it’s a lost art but talking to strangers and asking directions works pretty well also.

The following 3 users liked this post by IronAss:
DGDeuce (03-28-2019), pahogrider (03-11-2019), road king Q (03-11-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 03:19 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by IronAss
I know it’s a lost art but talking to strangers and asking directions works pretty well also.
Like I said: "Zumo has helped me find many locally recommended routes" Love talking to true locals; best info ever on a trip...
One of the first questions I'll ask someone in Smallville (if they seem to have time; ie: not in a busy lineup) "Lived here long?"
Local motorcycle shops are excellent sources of info, too.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:20 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by IronAss
Like I said: "Zumo has helped me find many locally recommended routes" Love talking to true locals; best info ever on a trip...
One of the first questions I'll ask someone in Smallville (if they seem to have time; ie: not in a busy lineup) "Lived here long?"
Local motorcycle shops are excellent sources of info, too. Butler maps are my starting point at home though.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:42 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Both for me. Wife has the maps (we use all types) in passenger seat and I have a 665 Zumo and the Harley GPS. I use the Zumo zoomed in to about 1/2 mile and the Harley zoomed out to 2x4 mile level. I use basecamp for routes and run those in the 665. Maps only on my Dyna.
Sounds a bit GPS crazy but I originally mounted the Zumo for another purpose (had it on my 2012 tour bike) then discovered I liked the dual views. Not a huge fan of the Harley GPS from route planning point of view.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:52 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

It depends on how long of a route it is. If within an average sized state (i.e. not Texas or Alaska) I will stick to my routing software (Streets and Trips as it is only 6 years out of date) and Google Maps/Mapquest. If traveling across country I will sometimes look at a paper map to get an overall view but still use the route planning software to build the route and then load into my GPS units. During the ride I use a GPS.

With that said, if I am flower sniffing and want to find the smaller more fun roads I will ask someone. But once I have the info on how to get to the roads I will load the route into my GPS using whatever waypoints I need to do so.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:17 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

If I'm out on a day trip I can usually memorize the route that I planned on Google maps. The majority of the ride is usually in areas I've been before. But if I'm going on a big ride I use the GPS on my phone. Even if it isn't that many turns I like to know how far to the next or with google's GPS can usually see ahead of time if there is congestion ahead. I've also used Waze on occasion to look out for the PO PO

Quick Reply: Physical Maps vs. GPS