Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Vermont to Texas and back, in May

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 02:40 PM
eglide_vt
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Vermont to Texas and back, in May

So I just found out I'm going to be a Grandfather (first grandchild in the family) and am heading to Texas in early May to help my daughter with stuff around their house in preparations for a Grandson. Having never traveled through this part of the country, on a bike or otherwise, I'm looking for suggestions on the best routes to take. I camp pretty much exclusively on bike trips. So my thoughts are to travel the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way down. I know there are motorcycle specific, as well as many other campgrounds, along that route. After that, I really have no idea the best way to get from the Asheville NC area to Austin, TX. Maybe the Natchez Trace Parkway for part of it? I prefer two lane roads. 10 to 12 hrs of riding, 400 to 500 miles per day. Also, any recommendations on campgrounds along the way. I prefer state park type campgrounds to KOA's. I'm looking for suggestions coming back as well. Maybe an Arkansas, Kentucky, West Virginia type route. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:40 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

Congratulations. I will become a grandfather in June. Sounds like a heck of a trip. BRP and the NT are both beautiful rides. I have done both from end to end. You could hit Hwy 84 in Natchez and go west from there.

The following users liked this post:
eglide_vt (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 07:47 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

so.... if you come down the trace to Natchez, go out to Longwood, cool old house. Even if you just see the outside. Natchez trace is a long way and I think the speed limit is 50? ranger patrolled, Fed land. But it feels isolated and like you are in the woods a lot of the way.

over to Natchitoches LA would be cool. That is a greatly town to visit, plantations. A replica old fort. Very old town. Along hwy 8 or 84 or amy of the many lilt roads through here will be the sandy pine tree covered hills. Great part of LA. Of course seeing the big swamps on down south is cool, too.

coming back, go up into OK, Talihina is near the start of talimena scenic byway. Very cool road. brings you to Mena AR. Wander over to Hot Springs then north into the ozark. Petit Jean, Mt Nebo or Magazine would be cool side stops if you have time. Lot of options and great spots to cross North AR. Eureka Springs, Jasper, Big flat, lot of good areas to ride. Remote, so keep your tank full.

East AR is kind of flat and will look a lot like LA did when you cross the river going west from MS. South Missouri has some great roads and very cool spots.

just ideas, look at Arkansas bucket list thread for details, holler at me if you want to

happy trails!

The following users liked this post:
eglide_vt (03-11-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 09:45 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

Arkansas has some beautiful riding areas.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:29 PM
QAfred
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default !

Originally Posted by eglide_vt
So I just found out I'm going to be a Grandfather (first grandchild in the family) and am heading to Texas in early May to help my daughter with stuff around their house in preparations for a Grandson. Having never traveled through this part of the country, on a bike or otherwise, I'm looking for suggestions on the best routes to take. I camp pretty much exclusively on bike trips. So my thoughts are to travel the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way down. I know there are motorcycle specific, as well as many other campgrounds, along that route. After that, I really have no idea the best way to get from the Asheville NC area to Austin, TX. Maybe the Natchez Trace Parkway for part of it? I prefer two lane roads. 10 to 12 hrs of riding, 400 to 500 miles per day. Also, any recommendations on campgrounds along the way. I prefer state park type campgrounds to KOA's. I'm looking for suggestions coming back as well. Maybe an Arkansas, Kentucky, West Virginia type route. Thanks for your help.
Congrats, Grandpa!
I think you have a good plan, at least for one way. Since you are thinking about Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP), which is 50MPH and very safe riding, lots of camping sites, scenic lookouts etc.. consider heading toward Nashville afterward and picking up the Natchez Trace all the way to Natchez Miss From there you can pickup highway 61 or 15 south to hwy 190 or interstate 10 and head west into Texas for that final stretch.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:36 PM
eglide_vt
Cruiser

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like I’ll need to find a nice route across Tennessee to the Natchez.

The trip back will take a bit more research. I know the roads in Arkansas, Kentucky and West Virginia will be beautiful. I’ll just need to identify suitable campgrounds and plan the route accordingly.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:44 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

In Arkansas, Iron Mountain in Mena, supports CMA. Queen Wilhelmina state park. There are campgrounds around Hot Springs. The mountain parks I mentioned in the other post, Magazine, Nebo, Petit jean all have camping but can get crowded. Along the Buffalo river Nat park camping and private grounds close to Ponca, Jasper, Tyler Bend park and Buffalo point. A lot of private camp grounds along the White river, big trout area. Also private grounds around Eureka Springs. More state parks at arkansas.com. Many of them have camping.

some camping ideas

Old 03-15-2019, 08:33 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

I have never been there, but I hear Natchez State Park has nice camping. I have camped many times at Rocky Springs on the Trace, but it is primitive camping.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:50 AM
eglide_vt
Cruiser

Thanks again everyone. Looks like there are endless campgrounds to choose from. Just curious, what is the snake situation in campgrounds down south. We don’t have many in New England, let alone the poisonous type.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:55 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

Oh man,depending on where you're at you could possibly run into all the poisonous snakes,coral, rattlesnakes, copperhead and water maccosin (cotton mouth),but it's unlikely. I've run into all but a rattlesnake in my yard.I wouldn't let that stop me.Just be aware of your surroundings.

Quick Reply: Vermont to Texas and back, in May