Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Boise to Rapid City

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 03:49 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Talking Boise to Rapid City

So it looks like I might be going to Sturgis this year....YAY!!

We'll be staying in Rapid City it looks like. Therein lies the question....
Going from Boise, ID to Rapid City, SD which route should we take? We are going to take 2 days to get there, so also looking for a stop on the first day. Hoping to push a little bit further the first day, & a bit more relaxed second day. Unfortunately I don't think we'll have a lot of screw off time for this, but we would like a more scenic route.

Thinking probably running by Craters of the Moon & skip the slab. Doesn't hardly add any time & avoids sagebrush that I've seen a thousand times. Once I get towards the border is where the new(er) more unusual scenery begins...and where you all could give some much appreciated information!

TIA all!!!

Old 05-05-2019, 04:20 PM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Dang, that's almost as far as it is from North Alabama.

Don't get out your way much, If you had asked me before, I would have said 200-300 miles tops.

It's a big country.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:07 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

You'll be on U.S. 20 heading to Craters of the Moon. I would stay on that road all the way to Jackson, WY. Head out of town north on U.S. 89, into Yellowstone, and out the west entrance to Cody. That's a big Day 1.

On the second day, ride the Chief Joseph Highway up to the Beartooth and over to Red Lodge. After a pizza in Red Lodge, I'd take MT-78 north through Roscoe and Absarokee to Columbus (I love that road) and then ride I-90 over to US 212, which will take you to Belle Fourche.

Those are a couple of pretty big days. Although it's manageable, you'd probably be better served doing it in 3. Maybe leave after work the day before you were thinking and spend the night in Idaho Falls. That's only a 4 hour ride (plus stops). If you do it in two days you'll want to leave early and make good time at least to Craters of the Moon and on to Idaho Falls. From IF to Rapid City I think you'll be on some great roads.

The following users liked this post:
Architect (05-18-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 10:09 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
You'll be on U.S. 20 heading to Craters of the Moon. I would stay on that road all the way to Jackson, WY. Head out of town north on U.S. 89, into Yellowstone, and out the west entrance to Cody. That's a big Day 1.

On the second day, ride the Chief Joseph Highway up to the Beartooth and over to Red Lodge. After a pizza in Red Lodge, I'd take MT-78 north through Roscoe and Absarokee to Columbus (I love that road) and then ride I-90 over to US 212, which will take you to Belle Fourche.

Those are a couple of pretty big days. Although it's manageable, you'd probably be better served doing it in 3. Maybe leave after work the day before you were thinking and spend the night in Idaho Falls. That's only a 4 hour ride (plus stops). If you do it in two days you'll want to leave early and make good time at least to Craters of the Moon and on to Idaho Falls. From IF to Rapid City I think you'll be on some great roads.
That sounds about right.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:24 PM
jimmiedwad
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch

I would agree up to red lodge. At that point i would head back to wy. Hook up with 14a. Through the big horn mtns then hit the interstate in gillet wy. 1.5 hours of interstate to spearfish and about 45 min from there to rapid

Last edited by jimmiedwad; 05-10-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:37 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

First off thanks for the replies guys.

I'm going to have to take some time & map out those suggestions. Hopefully I can make some of that, if not all, of that route. First glance they look awesome.
It looks like possibly Chief Joseph might have a part that's closed? I thought I saw something but then couldn't find it again. I didn't have much time to look right now as I've been working a lot.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:37 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
First off thanks for the replies guys.

I'm going to have to take some time & map out those suggestions. Hopefully I can make some of that, if not all, of that route. First glance they look awesome.
It looks like possibly Chief Joseph might have a part that's closed? I thought I saw something but then couldn't find it again. I didn't have much time to look right now as I've been working a lot.
Regarding Chief Joseph/Beartooth recommendation from Atticus Finch, presently the Beartooth is on schedule for its traditional Memorial Day weekend opening according to an article in the Missoula paper. Of course in the spring those routes could close back up for a day or two so always good to call ahead. Too bad you need to be in Rapid by the end of day 2. Take another day or 2, life’s short.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:00 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Gotta say, not easy to find a BAD way to make that trip. As noted before, Craters, Jackson, Yellowstone, Cody. To save a little bit of time if Chief Joseph seems a little too much, after Bighorn NF you can circle back down to I-90 and hit Devil's Tower on your way into Sturgis. Honestly, really nice part of the country for riding, you will enjoy.

Gotta agree with others it would be great if you could score another day for this ride, tons of stuff to see. I agree with leaving after work and making it to Idaho Falls the first night, lots of miles you probably have already done behind you, first full day you will be in Wyoming for your second cup of coffee. Good luck with your planning.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:47 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

We might be able to leave work early to get a head start.

Still finding out what way we are going back. Sounds like we will have more time on that one. Meeting some family at Sturgis so the ride home will be their route.

Mt Griz, I must have seen that closure because I was looking it up recently. You nailed it.

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 05-18-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:57 AM
BigFuji
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A group of us called the DMK, (Dangerous Midlife Kings),,, are leaving for NOLA Friday morning from Michigan. Heading to Panama Beach and back home. 7 nights total. Taking the Natchez from Tupelo to Jackson then the Pearl River to NOLA. All state roads, no intestate riding. 2500 miles round trip.

We are talking about heading to Venice LA to ride the southern terminus of the Great River Road. We have done the northern section before.

BigFuji
www.NilesBurnRun.com

Quick Reply: Boise to Rapid City