Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Gatlinburg to Nashville (Please help).

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:33 PM
scarygt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gatlinburg to Nashville (Please help).

Hello folks,

In August my wife and I are going to be making a nice loop from Dayton Ohio to Front Royal, Va so that we can do the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway. I'm figuring that this portion will only take about 4 days max.. and we are going to be on vacation for 9 days so I was wanting to head over to Nashville from Gatlinburg. A year or so ago someone at Deals Gap told me that there was a very scenic ride from the smoky moutains to nashville, but now I can't remember what road they were talking about. From what they were saying it sounded a lot like the blue ridge. If anyone can tell me the name of that road or recommend a nice ride from smky mt to nashville i'd very much appreciate it.

Thank you, Ralph

Old 07-20-2007, 10:00 PM
scarygt
Road Master
Default RE: Gatlinburg to Nashville (Please help).

What the heck is going on.... I thought people tried to help others on this forum!

Come on can't someone help me out with this... I'm sure someone has a nice route from the smokies to nashville... .please speak up.

Thanks, Ralph

Old 07-20-2007, 11:09 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Why oh why am I not getting responses!!!!!!!!!!!!! So no one has ever drove this route..... that seems very strange!!! [sm=sigh.gif]

Old 07-21-2007, 10:02 AM
navyman
Road Master

This isn't any help, but at least you get a respons. I rode from Front Royal to Ashville on the Skyline and BRP, but had to get home and rode freeway back to Cincinnati. The Skyline and BRP are absolutely beautiful. Be very careful with regards to the deer. In some places they were lined up like fence posts. Have a great ride.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:27 AM
rwjjr
Tourer

I live about 2O mileswest of knoxville.The only road I can think of thats a straight shot from the gatlinburg area or dragon area for thast matter would be hwy 70 and its not very scenic.Actully,the closer you get to Nashville the mountains and all scenery disappear.All the areas around the smokeys are great,Blue ridge parkway,foothills parkway,cherahola skyway,theres also some nice rides in smaller counties around here,such as Morgan and Campbell (check a map).Let me know if you need any help.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:09 PM
LT753
Road Warrior

I live in Pigeon Forge just out of Gatlinburg. I ride to Nashville a couple of times a year. I take Hwy 70 the entire route and I love it. You ride through small towns, farm land, and really nice scenic areas the whole way. Don't be in a hurry though, because most of the way it is only two lane traffic. We ride to Franklin just outside of Nashville and sometimes we go on into Nashville. Enjoy the ride. PM me if you need info on how to pick up Hwy 70.

Lynn

Old 07-21-2007, 11:03 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Good advice about the deer because hitting one could totally ruin my trip!

Seeing that you are from Cincy maybe we could get together for a ride sometime.. my wife and I often come to Newport Ky and ride Ky 8 to Maysville and then back to Cincy via Ohio 52; as a matter of fact we'll be doing this ride today (Sunday).

Ralph

ORIGINAL: navyman

This isn't any help, but at least you get a respons. I rode from Front Royal to Ashville on the Skyline and BRP, but had to get home and rode freeway back to Cincinnati. The Skyline and BRP are absolutely beautiful. Be very careful with regards to the deer. In some places they were lined up like fence posts. Have a great ride.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:05 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Thanks Lynn for the road advice, I'll look at googlemaps to see where to get on it. How long should it take riding 70 to Nashville? Are we talking about 6-7 hours?

Thanks so much for your help, Ralph

ORIGINAL: LT753

I live in Pigeon Forge just out of Gatlinburg. I ride to Nashville a couple of times a year. I take Hwy 70 the entire route and I love it. You ride through small towns, farm land, and really nice scenic areas the whole way. Don't be in a hurry though, because most of the way it is only two lane traffic. We ride to Franklin just outside of Nashville and sometimes we go on into Nashville. Enjoy the ride. PM me if you need info on how to pick up Hwy 70.

Lynn

Old 07-21-2007, 11:29 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Ok Lynn,

I've looked at google maps and I could go the way it suggest; mostly 321 to 70. Going this way it says is almost 7 hours.

I've also plotted another way that makes the beginning seem more intersting. Give this route a look and let me know if you think it would take way too long.. I don't want to make the trip to nashville take much more than 7 hours. Here is what I was thinking.

Take the Foothills Parkway out of the Smokies and take it to 72.

Then 411 south to Madisonville.

Then 68 to Crossville and pick up 70 there.

Going this way would I be adding a ton of time to the trip?

Thanks again for your help, Ralph

Old 07-23-2007, 11:43 AM
jedsporty883
Tourer

We take U. S.70 from around Lenior City all the way to Tn. 96, outside of Lebanon then stay on 96 all the way to Franklin. It takes around 5 hours to do. We think 70 is a great ride, two lane and not a lot of traffic.

Quick Reply: Gatlinburg to Nashville (Please help).