Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

TRIP TO THE U.P. of MICHIGAN

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:50 AM
clicker
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRIP TO THE U.P. of MICHIGAN

We are planning on taking a trip from here in central illinois up thru Wisconsin and across the U.P. to Mackinaw Island and down the Michigan side on the way home. Planning on hitting the museum in Milwaukee on the way up.If anybody has any nice routes that we need to ride or any neat things to see and places to stay or eat would be appreciated. We are planning on about 9 days. Hopefully that will be sufficient!!! Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:23 PM
irons
Intermediate

Anywhere along the coast is beautiful. I would recommend going through the Leelanau Peninsula (pinky finger), a stop in Traverse City (a little tourist-y) and the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes also. While in Mackinac, stop and see Fort Michilimackinac, maybe stay at a B&B on the island. No automobiles allowed on the island though, fyi.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:21 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

The Museum in Milwaukee is a must see. Take lots of pics as there is way too much to remember all the details there.

Going north out of Milwaukee hit the Kettle Moraine parks. Glacier cuts make the ride a fun one. 45 northward is another rt with some beautiful riding taking you through Fond du lac, another clean little town with a couple of very friendly bars right along 45. Be ready to talk Packers there....lol. 55 north to GB is another great scenic ride, then 41 thru Menominee over to Escanaba is outstanding too. 2 across the UP is great with some nice breezes blowing off the lake, or cut up on 71 to Seney and go east on 28 on over to the Soo locks in Sault Ste. Marie, cross the International Bridge (great view) and your in Canada (can you say A, lol). I've hear the lake rt going east is one nice ride in Canada.

OR take the Lake Exress Ferry out of Milwaukee across Lk Michigan to 31 north, or my fav, further inland, to M-37 north into Traverse City, then 31 on up to the Big Mac.

Lots of great riding any which way, just stay on the 2 lanes if you can. Just rode most of those roads within the last couple of years, so have fun and stay safe!

We want to see some pics too!

Last edited by glideridemike; 12-30-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:11 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is a link to a few photos of my trip around Lake Michigan last summer.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...ke%20Michigan/

We took a trip around Lake Michigan last summer. It is a beautiful ride all the way as long as you stick to the scenic highways along the lake and avoid the interstates. Plan to allow time to visit places like Sleeping Bear Dunes, Petoskey, Macinaw city (a couple days here and be sure to take the trip to Macinac Island and spend half a day there). Get a good map and you will find lots of places you will want to visit. If I do the trip again, I will allow a couple weeks instead of just one like last time.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

While in the UP, make sure you see the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. There is za boat ride tour out of Munising. http://www.nps.gov/piro/

Tahquamenon Falls near Paradise is also a must see. http://www.exploringthenorth.com/tahqua/tahqua.html

After crossing the bridge, follow the west coast road down and check out the Tunnel Of Trees, A beautilu ride going thru that area. http://www.nwm.org/m119.asp

As you travel further South, Make sure you see the Leelanua penninsula just west of Travers City. There is a place there called FISH TOWN, located in the city of Leland. An old fishing wharf that has been turned into a craft shop area, All the buildings were once fishing related for the charter boats. http://www.lelandmi.com/

Sleeping bear Dunes should be a longer stop. If you are brave enough to climb the dune, you will be rewarded by one of the most spectacular vies I have ever seen. http://www.nps.gov/SLBE

Just south of there is Crystal Lake, they have a Dune Ride that really displays the Dunes far better than I can.

Muskegon is a great stop, especially if you plan things right to attend the Muskegon Bike Time Biggest rally in the state, and its only going to be its third year. http://www.muskegonbiketime.com/ July 17-19

Grand Haven, South Haven, and Holland are good places to just stop and walk around. Plenty of good food, shops and tourists.

Hope this all helps your planning..Enjoy the ride thru the Great State of Michigan.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:16 PM
clicker
Advanced

Thanks for all of the suggestions on what to see. What is the weather usually like around the 4th of July. It is not usually the rainy season up there is it. Just wondering if the 1st part of July is a good time to go to expect decent weather!! Sounds like there is quite of bit to see. We are looking maybe to stay in St. Ignace for a couple of nights and maybe Paradise a night and ride up to Copper Harbor. Just checking at a lot of different options. Any more suggestions on what to see and places to eat and sleep are welcome. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!-Phil

Old 01-04-2009, 02:36 PM
MI98FXDWG
Advanced

Here's a website about motorcycling in the U.P. http://www.upcruising.com/TheUP.htm
check it out

Old 01-07-2009, 09:59 AM
johnny b
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ride

That is one of my favorite rides Did it last the first week of October left Escanaba Saturday morning with 27 degree temps. July should be a great time UP is a great place and all of the stops mentioned are excellent.
Should be reitred by then so holler if you want company. Better half and I are planning on doing that trip sometime during the summer

Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 AM
motrhd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple suggestions, first the weather should be fine around the 4th, maybe cool nights still. As said earlier, Muskegon around the third weekend is Bike Time, over 30,000 bikes last year. Now if you have time, go North in the U P to Copper Harbor and ride down on Brockway Mountain Drive, a true lifelong memory maker. Just my 2 cents..........Ride Safe

Old 01-07-2009, 04:15 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On our trip home from the HD100th, my son & I took the UP route. A couple of momentous events really stand out in my memory, such as it is.
1. Crossing that huge bridge.....at about 1AM, pitch black and just as we crested the arch, a huge meteor sliced across from West to East out over the lake and exploded like fireworks. It lit up the whole countryside.
2. Somewhere along the northern coast of the UP, there's a small town. Just before you get to it, the speed limit is 55mph. Cruising along, again in the dark (it seems like we did a lot of that) and suddenly there's a stopsign. No warning at all. I managed to lock everything up and as I entered the "T" intersection, my lights revealed a stone cliff in front of me. I managed to get the scoot turned, slid, laid almost down, then it uprighted and I was miraculously headed in the right direction. Just a few miles from there we checked into a small motel. I mentioned the near crash to the night clerk and he said it wasn't unusual for people to cruise right straight on through and pile into the wall. Whew! That was the closest I've ever come to doing that.
Oh, yeah. And it had been a very dry year, but one evening it sprinkled a bit. As we were cruising along, I noticed all these yellow "leaves" drifting across the roadway in my headlights(still ridin' in the dark), then they began to hit my legs. I slowed down and realized they weren't leaves but frogs, or toads of some sort. A local at a rest stop said they come out onto the highway when it rains. And they make a loud 'pop' when you hit them, and the road gets pretty slippery.
Anyhow, the trip was gorgeous, so enjoy and take lots of pictures.

Quick Reply: TRIP TO THE U.P. of MICHIGAN