Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tips or advice on going to Mexico/Belize/Guatemala?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:44 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

My neighbor's wife is Mexican. She has been living here for over 30 years. They go back to see her family as often as they can. It takes about 4 hours by car to reach her home village after they get to the border. Now keep in mind that she is Mexican, but they still won't travel in Mexico after dark. If the timeline is close, they will spend the night on this side of the border and leave early in the morning to make sure they do all their Mexican travel in daylight hours.

Traveling to a tourist destination is one thing, being on your own in a third world country is something altogether different.

Dennis

Old 03-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Ricky06Roadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

US insurance will not cover your property outside the 26mi checkpoints. Sanborn's in Brownsville is where I got coverage when I was fishing down there and covered my truck/boat/motor/trailer. The coverage was written by GE so I was confident in the coverage but never had to use it.

On the trip... Crossing you must have... VISA card (this is how you pay for your permits), Photo DL, Passport, Titles and photo copies of everything. You will receive a 90 day visa and a vehicle permit.

The biggest issue is between the boarder and the 26mi checkpoints. That is where the cartels are ruling and the wars are happening. I rarely had any issues beond there but I quit going into Mexico in 06 when the problems started escalating.

I have some good friends that live along the Rio Grande Valley and they do not recommend crossing at this time and any time in the future. It is that dangerous and going alone without a group is a invite for trouble.

The Federalise are good people, the local "Policia" is who you need to be careful of. It is VERY corrupt down there and not being in a group is asking for trouble if you ask me. We would NEVER travel with less than 3 vehicles and 6 people when we were fishing down there. Speaking fluent Spanish is a must, English is not found spoken south of the Sierra Madre Mountains.

Last edited by Ricky06Roadking; 03-06-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:04 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky06Roadking

The Federalise are good people, the local "Policia" is who you need to be careful of.
This is the exact same advice I was given by a Mexican tour guide when I got off a ship in Costa Maya and hopped a bus to the Mayan Ruins. Our tour bus was stopped at a checkpoint, she was very nervous until she saw it was federales, not locals.

One other thing I would like to mention. I have been told by several sources (not actually verified) that if you are thrown in a Mexican jail, they do not feed you or provide anything other than a cell. If you can get someone on the outside to send you food, clothing, medicine or whatever you need, the jailers will accept it and give you as much or as little of it as they see fit at the time. If nobody sends you anything, then you will have nothing.

Dennis

Old 03-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, as far as mexico, the Federales and the Policia are for the most part ok in the city, Districto Federal, but it is no joke to ride a bike there, if you can make it there that is. The law outside of the DF are for the most part overworked and very underpaid, so extorsion is the name of the game. Extorsion is very much a part of life in many parts of rural latin america. Big cities are different, becuase they need the tourist dollars, but when you are out in the campo, be careful and always carry 50-100 dollars in the local currency so when you do get pulled over for nothing you can politley suggest that you can pay the fine right away. Even though they are extorting you, they will take offense to you calling them out on it, odd but true.

Belize, been there twice to dive seemed very low key, but spent no time out in the country side. So nothing to say about that.

I was just in Guatemala city for a job interview. I can tell you this; There are bikes there and people ride in groups always. The city is super dangerous and has a gang problem that is just out of control. The new kick for gang bangers is to shoot women to gain entry into the gang. 800 women shot last year alone. The higher class the woman the better they stand at getting in.
I was followed from my hotel eveywhere!! I have learned over the last 12 years to be very vigilent. I have lived in Mexico city, La Paz Bolivia, Bogota Colombia, Cali Colombia during the hayday of the guerilla bombings, and currently live in Manizales Colombia, there are more land mines here than anyother place in the world. I have never felt as unsafe as I did in G city. not the place for a gringo on a bike alone. JMO

Last edited by Timmy B; 03-06-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:24 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my two cents worth. 95% of the problems down here are at the border, with most of that along the Texas border. That said, I wouldn't travel alone and wouldn't travel at night.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LTrain
...I'm going to take Highway 180 to Cancun. From there it seems very or at least relatively close to Guatemala and Belize...
Originally Posted by LTrain
I guess that settles it then. It's just too bad. Guess I'll just cough up the airline dollars, and do it the boring way. Better to be bored than dead I suppose...
Only 7 posts, some your own, and you're ready to quit. You sure give up easy.

Not sure I've ever seen so much negativity, most of it based solely on rumors & hearsay. Just to save airfare is no reason at all to make a trip like you've described. But to have an adventure, well, that's different.

I've ridden to La Paz, and driven as far as Barra de Navidad (below Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco) and traveled all over Mexico & Baja. The drug cartels are busy dealing drugs, not bothering tourists. And hardly any of the citizenry own guns. I think it's less safe (and more corrupt @ higher levels) in Los Angeles.

It'd be more audacious alone. But would be fun w/ a bud.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:28 AM
CasaWolves
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 146 Posts

If you're going down there you probably speak some Spanish, so Ill respond in both languages Que estas pendejo? What's wrong brotha! Look I lived down there for 7 years, and up till about 3 years ago, I 'd said go ahead. the war down there is taking a toll on their "regular" business, which means they are looking for extortion, stealing and all kinds of other stuff. No matter where you are going, you gotta pass thru the border (translated 200 miles south of the line).......you wanna go there, a todo madre (great) but fly to Cancun, and relax on the beach. I wouldnt do it, and I know my way, speak the language and been to all three countries. Dont do it, cuz I cant say Ride Safe!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:46 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I'll more than likely never have the opportunity to even make the choice of whether I should or shouldn't cross the border in Mexico. It does sound like a great adventure and a great ride, but considering the whole picture of the cartels, the illegals I would only consider it if I was packing, and that alone can cost you your freedom is the Mexican federales catch you. Something like an automatic 20 yr prison sentence, no parole, no get out of jail free card.

Screw it, there is too much to see within our borders.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why I read every post...I had my mind made up after the first post............ NO WAY JOSE !!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:01 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Having been in all three countries, I would break it down as follows:

Mexico, Yes
Belize, Probably
Guatemala, too dangerous.

Keep in mind I married a Guatemalan!

Quick Reply: Tips or advice on going to Mexico/Belize/Guatemala?