Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First Road Trip; Looking for Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:43 AM
officer391
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Road Trip; Looking for Advice

I am getting ready to take my first "road trip" from Wisconsin to Birmingham, AL. I am familiar with the route as I have traveled it many times before and after I retired from the Army.

This will be my first time on the Road King for an extended period. Any helpful information from more seasoned riders is welcome. Also, if anyone knows of any interesting places to see or good restaurants along I-65, those too would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help and stay safe!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:09 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by officer391
I am getting ready to take my first "road trip" from Wisconsin to Birmingham, AL. I am familiar with the route as I have traveled it many times before and after I retired from the Army.

This will be my first time on the Road King for an extended period. Any helpful information from more seasoned riders is welcome. Also, if anyone knows of any interesting places to see or good restaurants along I-65, those too would be appreciated.

After 500 miles in the saddle I sure feel tenderized, I don't know about seasoned.

For what it's worth, I just finished a 2800+ mile trip from Utah to Oklahoma and back. Two things that I'd offer: (1) Don't wait until the leg is asleep to take a break, and (2) take lots of pictures along the way.

I like the website Roadside America to check on oddities I might find along any given path.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

Another site I like when planning the roadtrip is ETravelogue ...

http://www.etravelogue.com

As for places to eat ... I rode from Utah to New Jersey last year and went through Indiana on the way. I stopped at the Triple X in West Lafayette, IN, for a late lunch. I got the Boilermaker Pete, a good burger made with prime cut beef.

A couple years before that I rode through Louiseville, KY, and stopped at a place called J. Gumbos. I was in the mood for Cajun and this place did a respectable job. For some reason I'm thinking the spot was on Frankfurt Avenue. Both of my sisters are married to true Cajuns (one of which worked at some good restaurants in New Orleans) and I work with a guy from southern Louisiana who loves to cook so I've had my share of good Louisiana home cooking.

One of the more unique places I've been in Birmingham is the Garage Cafe. If the weather is nice then eat on the patio. They have good sandwiches but be sure to bring cash because the last time I was there they didn't do credit cards.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by officer391

Dehydration, fatigue and nose burn is what'll get you on a long trip. Drink lots of water, limit the coffe. Wear long sleves at highway speeds to reduce dehydration. Sunscreen the face and extra on the nose. You get the most miles on the first day so make the first day the big PUSH. After day 1 or 2 its down hill stamana wise. Rest and hydrate at every stop. If your tyin a bag to the luggage rack, make a dry run a week or so ahead of time and strap you stuff up, ride at highway speeds and check your riggin. Make it right BEFORE you leave. If your goin with a buddy, do a key exchange before you leave. I lost my key 1000 miles from home and just asked my bud for the spare- sweet. Make it about the ride, screw the schedule, enjoy the freedom.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:15 AM
red1100cc
Advanced

sunscreen, lots on the nose. keep a bottle of gatorade to sip on while on the road. stop when ever you want to rest and stretch. dont let yourself get too tired. and check your rigging every stop, a bag or bungie in the back wheel will ruin your day. and yea what these guys said too. have fun. i love doin long trips, bet you will too.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:06 AM
officer391
6th Gear
Default Much Appreciated

Thank you for all the tips and suggestions. I have a new bottle of sunscreen, some sports drinks and, the bike just got it's 1,000 mile service. I will sit down later today and map out the route I am going to take.

When I return I will post some photgraphs.

Officer 391

Old 06-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Morbid as it is, make sure you have an ICE note for the bike and an ICE number loaded in the phone.

I'm a bit ocd on some things so I also e-mail a flight plan to responsible friends/family before I leave too..

Old 06-05-2009, 08:00 AM
2Sore
Road Master
Old 06-05-2009, 08:09 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Cujo
Morbid as it is, make sure you have an ICE note for the bike and an ICE number loaded in the phone.

I'm a bit ocd on some things so I also e-mail a flight plan to responsible friends/family before I leave too...
+1

If you're going solo, this stuff is important.

Have an ICE note on your person, on your bike, and in your cellphone, actually have the letters "ICE" inserted in front of "wife" or "spouse" of "NOK," i.e. not just a name. Emergency personnel in most areas are trained to look for such things.

Good reminder for us all, Cujo

Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 198 Posts

I'm not very familiar with roads from Wisconcin to Alabama. I would try to ride as many stretches of smaller primary roads as your time allows. I don't know if you use ear plugs when riding, but I would definately recommend using them on an extended ride. You'll just feel better at the end of the day. I carry a flask, or a handfull of those "airplane bottles" for emergency purposes. You never know when you may end up staying over night in one of those TN or KY dry counties.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:11 AM
kjmorgan
Road Captain

Even if you're extremely familiar with the route, take good maps. +1 on the sunscreen, water, chapstick and other personal defense items. I would add earplugs - they help reduce wind noise fatigue on long stretches at high speed. Don't forget prescription meds and glasses. Camera and maybe a small notebook/diary to record your innermost thoughts on this great adventure. Check tire pressures and fluids daily for peace of mind. Have a destination in mind but be flexible along the way. You never know what may catch your eye!

Quick Reply: First Road Trip; Looking for Advice