Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Coast Run!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:11 AM
CSA
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default West Coast Run!

A buddy and I were going to head out for a West coast road trip on the 30th of this month. My plans changed when my father notified me last week that my grandmother doesn't have much longer and if I was going to see her one last time I had better get home to California SOON! I packed up my ride and left Alger, WA on Wednesday the 22nd.

My grandmother has a heart defect that is hereditary and my mother has this same heart condition. Grandma lost her eye sight about a week ago, her internal organs are starting to shut down. She knew it was me as soon as she heard my voice. It's funny, even in the face of death her sense of humor is still there. She told me her bags are packed and she is just waiting on the train. My mother is really taking it hard. She knows it's just grandma's time but having the same heart defect she is looking at her own future and getting a preview of her own passing.

My uncle is a Priest and is the President of a Catholic University. He came over from the Philippines two days ago so he could perform last rites for Grandma. He also blessed my Harley and I, with Prayer and Holy water. After the blessing he put on my Doo rag and tried to steel my ride. I got a picture of him sitting on my Road King. I told him I was going to send the pic to the Vatican and he said could you ask them to buy one for him but in black! LOL!! I call him the "Outlaw Biker Priest".

When I left my home in Alger it was was overcast, but the sun came out by the time I got to Portland. I stopped in Brooks Oregon to get fuel and I noticed a older fellow trying to straighten the engine guard and left floorboard on a Heritage. After offering him some assistance he told me a lady had cut him off in traffic and that he had no other option but to lay down his ride. He managed to find a crow bar and with a lot of pushing and grunting we got it straightened out enough for him to ride it home. He told me he was headed back home to Arizona after being out on the road since June. He left me with a thank you and a big wave. If you're out there my friend, I hope you made it home safe and sound.

I stopped in Medford Oregon for the night and left early the next morning so I could catch the Sunrise in Mount Shasta. Riding through the Siskyous was nothing short of a religious experience. I have driven this route so many times in a commercial vehicle, yet it was all new to me looking trough the windscreen of my Road King. I will never forget it. By the time I hit Redding the sun was out in full force and the Vanson Mesh jacket I purchased two weeks before really paid off.

Yesterday after seeing my grandmother I headed back for Hollister and the traffic was bumper to bumper from Morgan Hill to Gilroy because of the annual Garlic Festival. When I got on the freeway I fell in right behind another rider on a Blue Road King Standard. I forgot you could lane split in California. It's illegal to do this in Washington State and I wish they would change the law. I wouldn't do it all the time, just in heavy traffic in order not to burn up your air cooled engine. I think that is why the law was approved in California due to heavy traffic. I followed the rider and we must of lane split for at least 3 or 4 miles. It was the first time I ever lane split and I must say it puts you on your toes. After we cleared traffic we both pegged the throttle and ran side by side all the way to Hollister. We finally were able to speak at the first stoplight we came to and I told him of my travels and what not. Hey bud if you're out there. Great ride yesterday and thanks for taking the lead. It was fantastic!

Tomorrow afternoon I will be heading for Los Angeles to see my baby brother. Funny how at 30 years old he is still my baby brother....he always will be too. then we will head back to Hollister for the weekend and then head for Hawthorne Nevada to meet my buddy. I want to stop and check out Hot August Nights since I will be passing through Reno.

I will post more when I travel again and I have taken a lot of pics. I will make sure to post them when the trip is done. Take care folks and ride safe!

Old 07-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Oilfielddude
4th Gear

Thanks for the post on your travels and sorry to hear about your grandmother. I am heading out for Sturgis Sunday and reading your post makes me want to leave today! Be sure and check out Hot August Nights....its well worth the stop!
Ride safe!
Doug-Newbury Park, CA
09 Ultra Classic

Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 AM
CSA
Road Master

Thanks for the post Doug! Have fun in Sturgis. I wanted to head out there this year myself but by June this year my buddy and I realized it was not financially feasible. Be safe and have a good time.

When I was a kid we used to go to Pismo beach all the time. I remeber 35 years ago my father an I went swimming past the break. It will be nice to see it again.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:52 AM
sandsucker
Tourer

Thanks for sharing your riide and sorry to hear about your Grandma.
I look forward to reading about the trip home.