Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Help planning 3 days around the "Dragon"

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:20 AM
jrstar
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help planning 3 days around the "Dragon"

Last week in April. 3 bikes

So here is the plan so far.

Day 1 Texas to Memphis on the super slab at a high rate of fuel comsumption for a night on Beal Street.

Day 2 Memphis to Murphy NC.. (reason for picking murphy nc as base camp......holiday inn on rewards points)

Day 3 (Sunday) This is where you come in. 3 days to ride as much of the smokies as we can with every night ending up back at Murphy. I've heard so much about roads in the area but would like someone that is from there or has been there to help out with day trip recommendations.
Day 4 (monday)
Day 5 (tuesday)

Day 6 Leave Murphy NC and head across to the n. end of the natchez trace and ride part of it heading south.

Day 7 Finish trace and head part way back to Texas.

Day 8 Ride the remainder of the route home.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:59 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

3 days to ride from what I see?
I'm sure everyone will chime in on the usual.
Here is my thoughts, but not sure how may miles you want to do but these will take most of the day "casually"
Day 1 rt 129 robbinsville, Cherohala parkway Rt 143, rt 360 cross the lake hit 72, rt 129 S to the foothills pkwy and continue and do the Dragon worth pulling over and (worth watching the morons going 60 on the rice burners trying to avoid the LEO's) then either stay on 129 to Cheroh dam ("fugitive dam" The movie where he jumped) worth seeing then turn around and back to deals gap to 28 "hellbender" back to 143 to robbinsville then back to Murphy...One big loop
Day 2 Go north to Cherokee and pick up the BRP off 441 or off 19 and take it to at least Asheville or Mt Mitchell, it's the Highest part of the parkway and return same rt.
Day 3 south on 129,180 17,356,197,2,to Clayton, and Warwomen rd to rt 28,north to Franklin and west/Northwest on Wayah rd, then Left back to Murphy on 64

Tons of food,hole in the walls, etc but keep in Mind Western NC Graham Co. is a dry county

Temps will be COOL at the elevations

Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 AM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Memphis...

Originally Posted by jrstar
night on Beal Street.
Don't pass on the Peabody to see the march of the Ducks. Not sure when they start but they have a band and drinks on the roof overlooking the mighty mississippi and Beale Street. Must eat is rendezvous killer ribs down the ally by Peabody. Silky O'Sullivans is a great Dueling Piano bar. Enjoy.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The dragon 129, hell bender Rt 28 great road, cherohala skyway, The new found gap road takes you from gatlinburg to cherrokee up over the smokies i like as well.

The first three you have to hit dragon 129, rt 28 and cherohala they are must rides.

We road 28 all the way back from cherokee and that is a sweet road.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a website for The Tail of the Dragon it has some good links and things to see and places to ride. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

The area also has other incredible roads like the DEVILS TRIANGLE, THE SNAKE, BLOOD MOUNTAIN, MOONSHINER 28 and the Hellbinder.

There is a link about the other roads on the website I linked to with some articles about the roads. Also if you have the time ride over to Maggie Valley and check out The Wheels Thru Time Museum worth the time.

Remember to bring a DOT helmet and run the speed limit and do not pass any cars they may be unmarked LEOs. The LEOs are hot and heavy on the Dragon. Do a youtube search for it and you will see what i mean. But it is a great area to ride in the people are real motorcycle friendly except the LEOs...lol

One other thing we have been having a lot of rock slides in this area so check with the Tennessee and North Carolina DOT websites for any road closings. I-40 is closed from Tennessee to North Carolina now and may still be in April not sure.

Last edited by Nabubba; 01-10-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Nabubba
Road Master

And there is a good rally in Cherokee on April 23-24 if you are in the area then.
http://www.cherokeerally.com/

Old 01-10-2010, 09:24 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=35....3%2C-84.039693

This would be a one day ride for you take you along the cherohala and the dragon

Last edited by OhioSkully; 01-10-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:40 AM
lrays280z
Road Master

Welcome from N. GA. I agree with the 1st post. Be sure to ride the the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway (Hwy 143 on NC side and Hwy 165 on TN side, see your map).
Also, from Murphy, take Hwy 64 west to Hwy 60 in GA. You will definitely want to take Hwy 60 in N. GA down to TWO (Two Wheels Only) Campground. This an exclusive motorcycle only campground and they have great burgers. If you look on your map, TWOs will be on your right, immediately after Hwy 180 cuts off to the left. You can also find them on the web. When leaving TWOs, turn left and then almost immediately turn right on Hwy 180. This is a very nice, curvy road. This will take you north and dead end to Hwy 17/75. Take this road to Helen, GA. Helen is a nice little "German Village" with lots of shops and there's also a couple of biker shops off to the left when in Downtown. Also I would suggest that maybe on another day, take Hwy 64 West from Murphy and take it all the way to Hwy 411. This road is called "river road" by the locals. Lots of curves and the road takes you parallel to the Ocoee River. This river was used for the 1996 Olympics. Hwy 64 will take you to Hwy 411 in TN, before reaching Cleveland TN, Turn Left on 411 S. Take 411 South into GA and get on Hwy 52 East in the town of Chatsworth. Hwy 52 will take you over Fort Mountain into the Town of Ellijay (not Elijah.., but Ellahjaaaaa(long a). From Ellijay, get back on Hwy 515 North and travel through Blue Ridge, GA, back up to Murphy in a very short time. Also see on your map about visiting Dillard, GA. There's a real nice Family Style restaurant called the "Dillard House". There's just so many places that are great to ride around here. I'm feel so fortunate to have lived around here my whole life. I live about 1 hour east of Blue Ridge, so I ride these roads just about every weekend. Good luck and have fun. Also be sure to watch your speed on the dragons tail as they cops like to watch out for the speeders. Killboy.com picture service also sets up there and takes pictures of everyone that passes and then you can go on the website and find the date that you were there and their photos are very nice with very good prices.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Originally Posted by katobird
3 days to ride from what I see?
I'm sure everyone will chime in on the usual.
Here is my thoughts, but not sure how may miles you want to do but these will take most of the day "casually"
Day 1 rt 129 robbinsville, Cherohala parkway Rt 143, rt 360 cross the lake hit 72, rt 129 S to the foothills pkwy and continue and do the Dragon worth pulling over and (worth watching the morons going 60 on the rice burners trying to avoid the LEO's) then either stay on 129 to Cheroh dam ("fugitive dam" The movie where he jumped) worth seeing then turn around and back to deals gap to 28 "hellbender" back to 143 to robbinsville then back to Murphy...One big loop
Day 2 Go north to Cherokee and pick up the BRP off 441 or off 19 and take it to at least Asheville or Mt Mitchell, it's the Highest part of the parkway and return same rt.
Day 3 south on 129,180 17,356,197,2,to Clayton, and Warwomen rd to rt 28,north to Franklin and west/Northwest on Wayah rd, then Left back to Murphy on 64

Tons of food,hole in the walls, etc but keep in Mind Western NC Graham Co. is a dry county

Temps will be COOL at the elevations
PERFECT !!! +100 on this plan.

Another decent loop. --not fabulous, but decent--

From Murphy, head southwest on 74 and follow over to Ducktown. Pick up 68 North to Turtletown veer east on 123/294 and follow over to Fields of the Wood. 294 south back to 74, then turn left and follow 74 back to base camp.

P.S. - On the smaller, less traveled roads, be mindful of gravel in the turns. I have had more than one occasion to pucker up when riding these roads a little too hot...

Last edited by Mr Cujo; 01-10-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:05 AM
roadking-1
Stage IV
Default dragons tail

Cherohala parkway Rt 143 is ok on sunday but you will not love the Dragons tail on a weekend. We go a few times a year but never on a weekend. also if you plan to go to Gattlinburg you would love little river road just out side of town on the park side.

Quick Reply: Help planning 3 days around the "Dragon"