Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

bike 2 bike/passenger comm system

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:10 AM
sgoharley
Tourer
Received 254 Likes on 84 Posts
Default bike 2 bike/passenger comm system

anyone use a comm system like scala on a trip? going for 2 weeks this summer with 4 bikes. thinking of getting a scala type system. what have u used? did you use the bluetooth for phone? how did it work? i have an ultra and want something i can listen to the radio, talk to fellow riders and answer a call if needed. thanks

Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 AM
mrbadlands
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Scala rider works well IMO. I am sure there are other brands out there that do just as well.

The Scala Rider Teamset is great for bike to Passenger communications and the primary headset will connect to other Scala headsets including the Scala Rider Q2 and the latest one I think is called the Scala Rider Q4. Both of the headsets will use the cell phone via bluetooth. It connects to a GPS as well.

The Scala Rider Q2 multiset does all the items the Rider does except you get a little more range, and you have an embedded FM receiver.

I know the Scala Rdier Q4 does all of the above and adds even greater range.

That is what I know about that.

Mrbadlands

Old 03-23-2010, 09:31 PM
slink
6th Gear
Default Reviews of bike-to-bike systems

http://www.webbikeworld.com has reviews of some of the newest systems including the Scala G4 and the Sena SMH10. In addition to the current reviews, they have 2 or 3 systems out on an extended trip for an on-the-road evaluation that will be added to the reviews in the near future.

Sena SMH10 review:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...mh10-intercom/

Scala G4 review:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...-g4/review.htm

Old 03-27-2010, 06:24 AM
WZ4I
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got the Sena system, and love it... I chose it over the Scala rider due to the simplicity of the controls, and the recent review here http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...smh10-intercom The sound quality is amazing. I have it "paired" to a FRS radio with the aid of a BT adapter designed for non-bluetooth cell phones (I re-wired the adapter to work with the FRS). The wife has her's "paired" to a BT MP3 player. The intercom BT to BT headset reliable range where we ride (mountains of NC) is between 1/8 and 1/4 mile. On open road, the range is over a 1/4 mile. You can "pair" up to 4 Sena headsets for intercom between 4 bikes. You can't communicate between all 4 simultaneously, and after using it, I actually prefer it that way. You can select the rider you wish to communicate with a simple tap of the jog dial. I have no intention of using my cell phone while on my bike, but I did test it, and it works perfectly. Using a FF helmet, I have had no problems with anyone hearing me, or me hearing them at speeds over 75 MPH. Here is a link to the Sena web site http://www.senabluetooth.com It would be nice if different brands could pair to each other. Hopefully the manufactures will address this with the next gen of devices...

Last edited by WZ4I; 03-27-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Jabo
Cruiser

My wife and I have used the Scala system as rider and passenger for 5 or 6 years and have been very happy with how they work, so I imagine the bike to bike would work well.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:27 AM
sgoharley
Tourer
Received 254 Likes on 84 Posts

on either the scala or sena, does it hook to the bike at all or is it wireless? i currently have the adapter that lets me plug earbuds into the intercom outlet on my tank which is fantastic for both gps instructions and the radio. No battling the wind noise so i listen much at a lower volume.
Ideally i would have one of these intercoms that is wirelessly allowing me to listen to my radio and then cuts out when my wife trys to tell me to slow down. if it had an over ride where i could tune her out all the better.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:06 PM
kmac89
Tourer

I have the Scala 2 and the O\L and I use it mostly as bike to bike and so far it works great we get about 1 mile clear range then it gets staticy but that hardly ever happens that we are that far apart.I haven't used any of the other features yet but so far we are both very happy with it

Old 03-31-2010, 12:40 PM
mrbadlands
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sgoharley
on either the scala or sena, does it hook to the bike at all or is it wireless? i currently have the adapter that lets me plug earbuds into the intercom outlet on my tank which is fantastic for both gps instructions and the radio. No battling the wind noise so i listen much at a lower volume.
Ideally i would have one of these intercoms that is wirelessly allowing me to listen to my radio and then cuts out when my wife trys to tell me to slow down. if it had an over ride where i could tune her out all the better.
You can do what you want to do with it using the scala with the exception of tuning your wife out. Well, I guess you could turn her headset off.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:32 AM
WZ4I
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kmac89
I have the Scala 2 and the O\L and I use it mostly as bike to bike and so far it works great we get about 1 mile clear range then it gets staticy but that hardly ever happens that we are that far apart.I haven't used any of the other features yet but so far we are both very happy with it
You're getting close to a mile range? Most of the folks I know do good to get a 1/8 mile out of the Scala 2.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:10 PM
kmac89
Tourer

The only time we got a mile apart (it doesn't happen often) it was a clear day with nothing in the way real clear sailing for the signal,so maybe it was a real good example

Quick Reply: bike 2 bike/passenger comm system