Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

San Diego to Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:30 AM
hxturbo1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default San Diego to Las Vegas

I just moved to San Diego and am headed to Bike Week in Vegas. Does anyone have any suggestions for a route besides Interstate 15 all the way? I am trying to keep the ride to a full day or less.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:57 AM
88b
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived in Havasu for a while and used to visit friends in Chula Vista regularly. The route i used as I hate feeways is I10 along the border then cut across country through Glamis Parker etc. Then through Havasu to 40, Needles CA then through searchlight NV and onto Vegas. you can do it in a day no problem

Old 09-18-2010, 03:09 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have gone both ways and the 15 is my choice. I do like the town of Searchlight though. I leave San Diego about 2am and beat the heat of the day across the desert.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

67 to Ramona. 78 to Santa Ysabel. 79 to Aguanga. 371 to 74 east/north to Palm Springs. Stay northbound to 10 west and exit at Indian. North to 62 east thru Yucca Valley. 62 to 29 Palms to Amboy Rd. North to Amboy, east on 66 to Kelbaker Rd. North on Kelbaker to Kelso Cima Rd to Cima. Cima to Morning Star Rd to Ivanpah Rd. North to Nipton, west to the 15 and on to Vegas.

We did the reverse of that last year and all the roads are in good to excellent condition.

There's a dealer on Indian in Palm Springs and a cool small dealer with an old 50s style diner in Yucca Valley.

It'll be a cool ride that you'll never forget.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:19 AM
cable
Advanced

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
67 to Ramona. 78 to Santa Ysabel. 79 to Aguanga. 371 to 74 east/north to Palm Springs. Stay northbound to 10 west and exit at Indian. North to 62 east thru Yucca Valley. 62 to 29 Palms to Amboy Rd. North to Amboy, east on 66 to Kelbaker Rd. North on Kelbaker to Kelso Cima Rd to Cima. Cima to Morning Star Rd to Ivanpah Rd. North to Nipton, west to the 15 and on to Vegas.

We did the reverse of that last year and all the roads are in good to excellent condition.

There's a dealer on Indian in Palm Springs and a cool small dealer with an old 50s style diner in Yucca Valley.

It'll be a cool ride that you'll never forget.

this is also my route of choice
there is a desert information center at cima and morning star. (just after you cross the RR tracks) nice place to take a break

Old 09-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Border Cop
Cruiser

Looks like an interesting route. I'm going to take this route to bike week from Victorville. How's the availability of gas?

Old 09-20-2010, 11:45 AM
LasVegasHarley-Davidson
Stage I

There are soooo many great places to ride in the Las Vegas area! We're actually highlighting them, one-by-one, in our newest blog series "Best Places to Ride in Las Vegas"! We focused on Valley of Fire State Park last week...check it out! http://lasvegasharley.wordpress.com/...re-state-park/

Ride ON!!!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Border Cop
Looks like an interesting route. I'm going to take this route to bike week from Victorville. How's the availability of gas?
You can get gas at Amboy. From there you should easily make it to Primm Valley or even all the way to Vegas depending on what you're riding. Say hi to the Sheriff of Amboy. He'll be the attendant at Roy's.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:02 AM
hxturbo1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

other Sheep......That route sounds exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks I'm going to take that one.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 216 Posts

I have done major sections of that ride and thats the route that I would take as well.

Cima is the Info Center for the Mojave National Preserve.

If you didn't want to take I-15 into Las Vegas, you could follow 164 East into Searchlight and then head North on 95 and hit Vegas via Lake Mead. Time permitting you could visit Nelson's Landing and the Colorado River.

Of Course dont forget the Hoover Dam, it will be the last time that you can ride/drive across before the bridge bypass opens.

Last edited by Dr. Tiki; 09-21-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Quick Reply: San Diego to Las Vegas