Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Glacier National Park

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcollison
I will highly second this recommendation. Faber has the goods on local travel up there and I have never seen him post anything but stellar rides!

I've done GNP twice, and made sure the second time to schedule more time for the Going to the Sun Road. 1) there are lots of traffic stops as the road is either a) closed in winter or b) under construction/repair the OTHER 30 DAYS, and 2) take the little pullouts and take pictures. I still go back and look at the photos with amazement.
Man, Jmcollison, I'm gonna have to put you on the payroll one of these days, aren't I?

I know you've done your share of riding out here, too.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:07 PM
mjsawatzky
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Faber for sharing all this great info. I have used much of your trip advice on our trips down to MT usually 2 - 3 times per year. The State Tourism dept should be cuttin' you a check!!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Faber didn't you move to Washington? Not to hijack just thought I would ask. I always make notes on your Montana advise for the next time I make it back west. Thanks.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:11 AM
AaronG87
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Faber is kind of a common name here in the nw. There is a lot of good riding in nw montana and Idaho. There are some hot springs in nw montana that an old rider told me about not quite sure where though I'm sure you could search it on google or something. If youre want to to come west I recommend riding through colorado around durango is beautiful during the summer. if you make it up to washington the cascades are beautiful to ride through. Olympic national forest is a great place to see. Then there is the ride up highway 542 that will lead you up near the peak of Mt. Baker and to Artist's point. Even just doing the chuckanut dr. loop in whatcom and skagit county is a gorgeous ride. I know a guy that loves it so much he put 20,000 on his bike doing that ride alone.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:16 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjsawatzky
Just wanted to say a big thanks to Faber for sharing all this great info. I have used much of your trip advice on our trips down to MT usually 2 - 3 times per year. The State Tourism dept should be cuttin' you a check!!
If they cut me a check, I won't turn it down

Glad you had a good time down here

Old 12-22-2010, 07:20 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BB4xl
Faber didn't you move to Washington? Not to hijack just thought I would ask. I always make notes on your Montana advise for the next time I make it back west. Thanks.
I am about to move out to WA. My wife got a job out there too good to pass up. And since I'm not crazy about my job.......why not? She is already out there. I'll be going back and forth until I finish my current contract.

I do love it out here and am negotiating with my employer for coming out for two-month summer contracts. I'll miss ski season, though.

Hopefully those notes will do some good for you. Let me know when you do make it out here.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:21 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by AaronG87
Faber is kind of a common name here in the nw. There is a lot of good riding in nw montana and Idaho. There are some hot springs in nw montana that an old rider told me about not quite sure where though I'm sure you could search it on google or something. If youre want to to come west I recommend riding through colorado around durango is beautiful during the summer. if you make it up to washington the cascades are beautiful to ride through. Olympic national forest is a great place to see. Then there is the ride up highway 542 that will lead you up near the peak of Mt. Baker and to Artist's point. Even just doing the chuckanut dr. loop in whatcom and skagit county is a gorgeous ride. I know a guy that loves it so much he put 20,000 on his bike doing that ride alone.
Actually my "faber" is a nickname I got in college. It has nothing to do with Animal House, and that's all I'll say

Old 12-27-2010, 08:07 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really liked Apgar Village right at the south entrance. Hotels, cabins, campgrounds - whatever you're looking for. The weather changes quick...

This is July 22, 2010

July 23, 2010

Last edited by TheBlackBastard; 12-27-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

That is beautiful scnenery. I hope to make it out there this summer. In the mountains it can be nice and all of a sudden its foggy, or cold and drops 20 degrees

Old 12-28-2010, 04:47 PM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 160 Posts

on topic here--FYI--yellowstone np is right at 7000 ft above sea level and when it rains it is a COLD and miserable rain and remember yellowstone lake is up there too--the weather changes fast--anyway you'll realize why the indians fought so hard to keep it--it's beautiful!

Quick Reply: Glacier National Park