Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tunnel of Trees in Michigan???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 05:35 AM
Tinner Briman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunnel of Trees in Michigan???

Some friends and I are heading down to Niagara Falls through Mackinac and I'm curious if the Tunnel of Trees is a "Must Do" since we are so close?

Old 05-21-2011, 06:05 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you're in the area I'd say yes, M119 is a must along with M22 in the Mission Peninsula (Traverse City Area) My favorite road in that area leads you to the northend of M119 it's called Lakeshore Drive. Check it out on Google Maps, its right at the NW Tip of the lower peninsula west of Mackinaw City. But watch for sand on all the roads anywhere near the lakeshore along with the abundance of deer.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:30 PM
NoDeal
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best road in Michigan for curves.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tinner Briman
Some friends and I are heading down to Niagara Falls through Mackinac and I'm curious if the Tunnel of Trees is a "Must Do" since we are so close?
It is a great road... and don't forget to stop at LegsInn...great food and really scenic, located right on the west side of south end of the road.
Best road in Michigan? Nahhhhhhhh... I would suggest the best road in Michigan is up in the U.P. that runs to Copper Harbor ... 26 "Gratiot Ave". now that's a ride!

Old 05-24-2011, 03:44 PM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by flhxkiller
If you're in the area I'd say yes, M119 is a must along with M22 in the Mission Peninsula (Traverse City Area) My favorite road in that area leads you to the northend of M119 it's called Lakeshore Drive. Check it out on Google Maps, its right at the NW Tip of the lower peninsula west of Mackinaw City. But watch for sand on all the roads anywhere near the lakeshore along with the abundance of deer.
Awesome info! Thanks! I'm planning a Lake Michigan circle tour with my GF in June - taking the Lake Express Ferry to Muskegon and then working our way back to Milwaukee around the north. Any other points of interest?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:58 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pictured Rocks on the Superior shore of the UP. They have a boat tour, 35 per, that takes you out on the lake and you can view them from there. Petosky was suggested to me because of their rocks, unlike any other. When are you going? Our trip around the west side of Michigan, across the bridge, up to Superior, down thru Green Bay and Milwaukee, back across on the high speed, back across the north side of Ohio and turn south, mid-state is planned for the last week in June. If your trip is before that, post your thoughts, I would be quite curious as to what you think. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:17 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

Right now our plan is to leave Milwaukee June 22nd, be in Mackinac June 23rd and then head to north central Wisconsin to stay at a friends lake house a few days before heading back to Milwaukee. I definitely plan to check out Petosky on our way to Mackinac!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 PM
DanDil
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

there is a new road that just opened up last fall at the end of the riding season. It is H58, a 50 mile ride from Grand Marais (on the northern end of co rd 77 on the south shore of Superior) thru the Pictured Rocks National park to Munising. With several stops, the Log Slide, beaches and a few other stops. I would say it now is the best bike road in the U.P. I live here and have been on most of them. The road used to be a dirt road thru the park forest and in the last 5 years they paved sections from each end of the park and last summer/fall the did the last 15 miles connecting the two sections and completeing the road. Many curves with several snake sections where you can see 3 or 4 curves down the road in front of you. I live in Marquette and road it last October the week it was completed. From my house it 200 miles round trip to Grand Marais thru munising and back. It was so cool, I did it again the next weekend.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:32 PM
gtrb
Road Warrior
Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

Rode the Tunnel of Trees last year and was well worth it. Kind of reminded me of the back roads around Lexington, Kentucky. And yes, stop at Leggs Inn, very unique.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:15 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Legs Inn is a must stop and the tunnel of trees a must ride...

Here is a pic of the Legs Inn. What you can't see is the great outdoor patio/seating area overlooking Lake Michigan...very cool. This place is on the north end of the tunnel, not the south as mentioned above.

Quick Reply: Tunnel of Trees in Michigan???