Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Nova Scotia & The Cabot Trail

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Nova Scotia & The Cabot Trail

I am heading that way from SE Pa for the last two weeks in August 2012. Hope to spend three days on Cape Breton then a couple on Prince Edward island. Have been all over the net researching the area. Wondering if anyone has been there and if you could offer some advice, things to do or avoid. has anyone been across the confederation bridge on a windy day.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:19 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Did that ride many years ago from Montana on an '83 FXRS and it remains one of my all time favorites. Crossed into Canada at Sarnia and headed east to Montreal, Quebec City, the Gaspe, New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia. That fancy bridge to PEI hadn't been built yet so took a ferry from, I think, Moncton, NB. That Nova Scotia/Cape Breton part is amazing. Great riding, food and people all along the way.....I ran across this guy's blog somewhere and it might have some good stuff in there for you.

http://mycapebretonroadtrip.blogspot.com/

Old 12-08-2011, 12:58 PM
DMcBiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the loop this summer and the Cabot Trail is a great ride. It’s about a 300 mile loop from Port Hawkesbury, an easy 1 day ride if you like. Port Hawkesbury is a great base to start the Cabot Trail, we stayed at a place called the Maritime Inn, it’s right on the main drag, Liq store and restaurants all within walking distance. The road going into and coming out of the National park are not the best but very drivable and offer great twisties and grade changes. Roads in the Park are first rate. I have driven the loop both clockwise and counter-clockwise, both offer spectacular vistas, I can’t really say that one is better than the other. Once you cross the Maine border into Canada, Port Hawkesbury is a good 1 day drive of about 300 miles, much of it is divided highway with the final 60 miles of so as two lane only. Once in Cape Breton it’s all two lane highways. I hope this helps, let me know if you would like more details