Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Canadian Ride Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 06:40 PM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Canadian Ride Suggestions

My wife and I will be heading to Niagara Falls the later part of July, leaving Tennessee on July 15 actually. We both have our passports and will be entering Canada.

We're thinking of just spending 3-4 days just putting around in Quebec and/or Ontario.

However, I have no clue on where or what would be the best use of our time. So I was hoping some here might be able to offer some suggestions.

Thanks

Old 06-05-2017, 10:59 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

I'll just add over the years one of the most memorable rides I've done was up past Montreal to Quebec City and beyond around through Rivière de-Loup and the Gaspe Peninsula and back to the States. Don't know if you have the time for that but I'm telling you, the folks you'll meet along the way and the great seafood you'll eat won't be forgotten.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:08 AM
cobalt07
Road Master
Received 243 Likes on 152 Posts

We did 11 day loop in 2014. We went up past Detroit to enter at Sarnia, then up to Georgian Bay area. Tobormory point area is incredible, you can see the lake bottom 25 feet down, the water is so clear, took glass- bottomed boat to Flower Pot Island...stunning, man didn't ruin it yet. Road all along the lake and just explored, Canada's largest beach was really a nice area, stayed on a river in a cottage 3 days. I can't remember all the names or places. Spent 2 days in Toronto and took ferry over to the islands, etc. We ended up coming out at Niagara falls 11 days later and back to Ohio. The thing we found most enjoyable, the food !!! Every meal was great, not a bad bite in 28 meals. Do try a Boston Pizza, the beat pizza we have ever had, and I'm Italian. They seem to put more importance to their meals, not just rush you in and out. They go out of their way to make every meal great, even breakfast. it was our beat trip ever.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:54 AM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

Just our two cents worth if this helps. I agree with Cobalt. With the time you have stated you could cross at Port Huron, Michigan into Sarnia and then take Hwy 21 up the Lake Huron coast to Tobermory. It is a beautiful ride with plenty of small lakeside towns along the way. I also would definitely do Niagara Falls Ont on your way back. It is a spectacular site.
If you would like additional info feel free. Always willing to help.
Safe riding!
Cheers, Terry

Old 06-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

I agree about doing the Tobermory route up the coast, Grand Bend, Sauble Breach, Tobermory, Flower Pot Island boat tour, maybe take the ferry to Manitoulin island, back past Owen Sound and south to the Falls. I think it would be the best use of time.

If you're going toward Quebec after Niagara Falls it's about 8 hours to Montreal and going through Toronto traffic is a nightmare. I would even suggest going under the lake past Rochester to avoid it, then up to Montreal or Quebec City where the scenery is beautiful. It's a lot of ground to cover in 3-4 days though.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:09 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadghost
I agree about doing the Tobermory route up the coast, Grand Bend, Sauble Breach, Tobermory, Flower Pot Island boat tour, maybe take the ferry to Manitoulin island, back past Owen Sound and south to the Falls. I think it would be the best use of time.

If you're going toward Quebec after Niagara Falls it's about 8 hours to Montreal and going through Toronto traffic is a nightmare. I would even suggest going under the lake past Rochester to avoid it, then up to Montreal or Quebec City where the scenery is beautiful. It's a lot of ground to cover in 3-4 days though.
Yes, much ground to cover for sure from Niagara Falls. Too much. A ride around the Gaspe and over to the Maritimes is an epic ride by itself.

Last edited by mtgriz; 06-06-2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 06-06-2017, 12:21 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Keep the ideas coming. I was getting ready to start a post about the same area. The only difference we're going during the week of the 4th

Old 06-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Distances particularly across Ontario are deceivingly long. Ottawa to Kenora is 2.5 days. You could pick a couple of destination points and google driving distance and times to get a reasonable idea of how far you can go in the given time. Do not go near Toronto.

Last edited by Spy11; 06-06-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:32 PM
Buzz 3
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

When you get up to Port Huron just hang a left and stay in Michigan, go up around the Thumb, cross the Mac into the UP. Ride along Lakes Huron, Superior and Michigan if you plan it right.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:56 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The suggestions are much appreciated.....................This will be our first time in Canada and just dont want to waste our 3-4 days while we're up there.

Quick Reply: Canadian Ride Suggestions