Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Lazy-man's trip planner

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,827 Likes on 18,580 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
Headed out to S. Dakota area in July with a small group of seasoned riders. Since Mt. Rushmore is on my bucket list and since it was my bright idea, it's up to me to plan our trip. We will be leaving from Ohio; most likely stopping in Iowa at the National Motorcycle Museum; then on to Sturgis/Custer/Spearfish/Badlands/Devil's Tower; then wander back home thru Milwaukee, Mackinac Bridge, then home. Most likely a week-and-a half to two weeks for the entire trip. Our idea of "camping" includes a hot shower, cheap motel rooms with reasonably comfortable beds, and convenient restaurants. Hoping to ride out there in 2-3 days, then 2-3 days of riding around to see the sights, then 3-4 days back. None of us has ridden in this area of the U.S. but I'm sure there are a few of you out there that have made this trip before. Any of you seasoned Sturgis-rally-goers willing to share your preferred route out there and some tips on where to stay, rides to take, or things to see or do on our way there, while we're out there, or on our way back?
Done the Sturgis ride many times and I'm sure that many will chime in on suggested "have to see" and "have to do's" ... however as far as your ride home is concerned you may want to consider stopping at the Clark Motel located in/near Strongs Mi in the Upper on your way home ... it's about an hour north of the bridge and is owned and operated by super biker friendly people ... rooms are real reasonable and Patty and Andy will definitely make you feel comfortable ... they're located on M-28 just east of M-128 .... we been stopping there for years .... Hell, we've even put it on our list of "must do rides" each summer ..... just my .02 cents worth Brother!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:29 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Always with the negative. Here tis. Skip the Badlands. Just a lot of good stuff in the Black Hills that have far more to offer than the Badlands.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:49 AM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
Always with the negative. Here tis. Skip the Badlands. Just a lot of good stuff in the Black Hills that have far more to offer than the Badlands.
You may have a point. When I went throughout the badlands, the sun was setting and a full moon was rising. The colors were spectacular and the wildlife was active (turkey and goat).

I may have not thought that Badlands was worth the trip had it not been for the time of day that we were there.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

We like to take Hwy 44 across SD. Pretty good road and will take you right to the Badlands. (Might want to check the SD DOT web site to see were they are chip sealing roads.)

Old 02-05-2012, 10:27 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

In Custer, Chief Motel is a pretty nice inexpensive mom and pop pllace to stay.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:53 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I was in the Black Hills in 2009. There are no bad rides in the area. The best of the best have already been mentioned. You might consider staying in Custer. It's only about 50 miles from Sturgis, is closer to Rushmore and Custer State Park, and there are a number of eating/dining places within walking distance of many motels.