Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

East or West, which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 AM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default East or West, which way to go?

I'm planning on a two week trip late next spring. I live in Arlington, TX which is fairly central to the U.S.

Which direction should I go. I've been out west on several trips and absolutely love it. I've never ridden any further east than northern Arkansas which is nice.

I have several friends that recommend east, the Blue Ridge Parkway and all around eastern Tennessee, N.C and maybe northern GA.

For those who have seen both, which so you consider a better ride?

Thanks,

Old 11-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Friday55
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't been east you should do it. The roads in the area you mentioned are great and you don't have to ride far to find the next great road. Lots of history in the area. Good food. Check to make sure the roads are open when you are planning to be there.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 AM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've lived on both coasts (WA, MD) plus the midwest (MN). Bottom line...there are great roads and great places to ride/visit throughout the U.S. so I think it's hard to pick one over the other. It really depends on what you want to see and do.

If you've already ridden several times out west, I would vote for an east coast trip like you mentioned. The Blue Ridge Parkway is especially great during the fall. You won't regret that trip.

++ on Friday55's comment about the great history in our area. If you're into that sort of thing you'll have a blast, whether it's visiting historical towns/cities, battlefields, memorials, or whatever, combined with all with the great roads you'll find yourself on...I'm pretty sure you'll have a tough time fitting it all in.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,623 Likes on 12,011 Posts

My preference is west - always has been. But, that is purely opinion. To me the West is vast and open. I love the deserts, buttes, and wide open spaces. Going through the mountains is great. The west symbolizes the open road and the American spirit in my mind. If you haven't gone west to the coast that would be my recommendation - again - opinion.

This year we went east two times because it's good to see it all. Great trips. Skyline, BRP, Smokies, Cherahola, Daytona etc - all great riding. I've done it before but we always find something new to see. The east is rich in history. If you love endless miles of twisties, the east is the place to visit. It's much like NW Arkansas.

I think the main difference between a trip east and west is to the west you cover a lot more ground - a macro adventure. To the east you cover less ground and focus on an area - a micro adventure (this in the sense that you stop more and visit historic sights, waysides, etc vs logging big miles).

Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM
robertwy
Road Captain

Thanks for the input, guys. It's a tough decision for me. I have very similar thoughts to you, "Nevada"; the west is best. But on the other hand, how do I know if I've never been east?

I'll keep thinking about it and check back here to see any other input.

Thanks again,

Old 11-25-2012, 11:15 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

If you go west in the spring, it will be the windy time of the year. If you go east, it will be rainy. West is always best. Go east and see it. All the things Nevada72 mentioned are wonderful. I was intrigued with West Virginia and the coal country. We did see the New River Gorge bridge and did the ride down under it. The horse country in Kentucky was a good look. The very best is the BRP.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:36 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,623 Likes on 12,011 Posts

Knowing now that you haven't gone east I would say it's a no-brainer. Check out the east. Plenty to see and do. You won't be sorry. We chose to start our eastern adventure from the Nation's capitol. Another great place to spend some time and be proud to be an American (except the parking was not bike friendly so much - 2 tickets in what appeared to be a legit spot ). It started our trip off right and it was a short hop to Front Royal to jump on Skyline. Maybe approach DC from a northern route and loop back to TX. Hwy 50 was a pretty scenic route for us once out of Ohio.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 AM
robertwy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nevada72
Knowing now that you haven't gone east I would say it's a no-brainer. Check out the east. Plenty to see and do. You won't be sorry. We chose to start our eastern adventure from the Nation's capitol. Another great place to spend some time and be proud to be an American (except the parking was not bike friendly so much - 2 tickets in what appeared to be a legit spot ). It started our trip off right and it was a short hop to Front Royal to jump on Skyline. Maybe approach DC from a northern route and loop back to TX. Hwy 50 was a pretty scenic route for us once out of Ohio.
I posted this for help on trying to decide which way to go. Then I got sidetracked for 2 days reading your trip post. WOW!!!

What can I say? That was great! So entertaining. You have a gift for writing in a way that puts me there with you and Cheryl. What a trooper she is.

I just recently went back to Harley from a Goldwing and before that a ST-1300. I made some good trips on those, but I love this new Limited. I've had a Dyna Wide Glide and a Road King Classic in the past, but this new 103 with the six speed is super.

Neveda, I think you have made up my mind. I've got to go west again, nothing in the east can be that spectacular. Thanks for your post, it's the best ride report I've ever read. And I've read many on the ST1300, FJR and Goldwing forums, so I know what I'm talking about.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:35 AM
carymca
3rd Gear

You may have made up your mind to go west, which would be a great choice. But I would encourage you to go east to see some new areas and roads, which have been mentioned above. If you like 2 lane roads, go north to 82 and take it east all the way to Alabama, then go up to Birmingham to visit the Barber Museum. It's a great visit for any motorcyclist. Enjoy your trip.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain

Is not the point to see it ALL during our brief time on this rock?

Quick Reply: East or West, which way to go?